BLACK MONDAY

rumblefish

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How the Sabres situation happened with Ruff, and Darcy is a huge tell tale sign.

Not at all.

Different situation. Different pre-sale experience for Pegula. Pegula eventually did the absolute extremes one time each but just because one worked and one didn't doesn't AT ALL mean he believes that is always the better route. In fact, just the opposite. He's likely to trust his gut instinct, whether it is status quo or cleaning house, and I very much doubt his experience with the Sabres will change his gut instinct much at all. His gut instinct has served him quite well.

What if the front office wants Hackett gone and Marrone will not agree to it? Seems like they are joined at the hip. What happens then? Do we have another Wade situation? Did the Bills protect against that in Marrone's contract after what happened with Wade?

good organization keeps him....the clown ones dump him.

I prefer to think with Peg's at the top and Whaley with him we have a pretty good organization

Please list the current NFL head coaches that Doug Marrone is better than.

This reminds me of the time when there was still much fan and media support for keeping Dick Jauron on, when it was clear after two years he was a complete loser as a head coach. When you have one of the bottom five head coaches in the league and there are real NFL coaches like Bill Cowher, Rex Ryan, Todd Haley, Frank Reich, Todd Bowles and Mike Shanahan out there who would be huge upgrades and who would be attracted to coming to a team with a top five defense, then you are a clown for keeping him. This new owner didn't get rich by accepting stupidity (see Bills offense). The culture of losing is still here with Marrone no matter what the FO people say. That loss to 2-12 Oakland was Marrone's final straw for keeping his job, he's gone IMO.

Edited by 1billsfan

My guess is that Marrone stays but Hackett and/or the Offensive line coach get canned. Something has to be done about the offense. I think they stick with Orton/EJ at QB. The Bills resign Hughes, but let Spiller and Spikes walk to clear cap space. Then Draft a RB and two OG in the draft and focus on the running game to take pressure of QB.

The consultants would need to be announced pretty darn quick if this is going to go down. How did it happen with the Sabres? Did TPegs just kind of silently make the decision or was it assumed what was going to happen.

How the Sabres situation happened with Ruff, and Darcy is a huge tell tale sign.

I don't follow the Sabres (I have only so much resiliency). Can you tell me what you mean about Ruff and Darcy? I know that Ruff was their coach for a long time (I remember watching him play, too, along with Luce). Is Darcy the idiot GM my brother raved about who traded away two terrific players then got a contract extension or something?

What if the front office wants Hackett gone and Marrone will not agree to it? Seems like they are joined at the hip. What happens then? Do we have another Wade situation? Did the Bills protect against that in Marrone's contract after what happened with Wade?

I think that's my big question, too.

This reminds me of the time when there was still much fan and media support for keeping Dick Jauron on, when it was clear after two years he was a complete loser as a head coach. When you have one of the bottom five head coaches in the league and there are real NFL coaches like Bill Cowher, Rex Ryan, Todd Haley, Frank Reich, Todd Bowles and Mike Shanahan out there who would be huge upgrades and who would be attracted to coming to a team with a top five defense, then you are a clown for keeping him. This new owner didn't get rich by accepting stupidity (see Bills offense). The culture of losing is still here with Marrone no matter what the FO people say. That loss to 2-12 Oakland was Marrone's final straw for keeping his job, he's gone IMO.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the morning laugh. Calling Rex Ryan a real head coach, might be the funniest thing I get to hear/read all day. Rex is a buffoon as a HC. Maronne was a far better HC than the foot licker, this year.

Haley had, at best, mixed results at KC. Apparently he was such a great HC he is now, once again, an OC. He has done little to make it to "real HC status" IMO.

Reich and Bowles have NEVER been head coaches in the NFL (with the exception of a short interim stint). It's so good to know you already know they will be successful. Thank goodness your football acumen is at such a level we can just rely on your hunches.

Shanny and Cowher have both been successful as NFL HC (at least you got that right). I would have been happy with either back when the Bills were interviewing HCs in 2009 (it was 2009, right?). But Shanahan's horrendous team-killing stint in Washington gives me pause now. It was as bad of a performance by a HC as I have seen.

That leaves us with Cowher. And yes, I'd take him in a minute. Even though he has only been the HC of one NFL team, he did it for a long time at a pretty high level. I'm a bit concerned he hasn't been involved with coaching for five or so years. But sure. I'm in. So you think Bill is interested in coaching the Bills?

I think that's my big question, too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the morning laugh. Calling Rex Ryan a real head coach, might be the funniest thing I get to hear/read all day. Rex is a buffoon as a HC. Maronne was a far better HC than the foot licker, this year.

Haley had, at best, mixed results at KC. Apparently he was such a great HC he is now, once again, an OC. He has done little to make it to "real HC status" IMO.

Reich and Bowles have NEVER been head coaches in the NFL (with the exception of a short interim stint). It's so good to know you already know they will be successful. Thank goodness your football acumen is at such a level we can just rely on your hunches.

Shanny and Cowher have both been successful as NFL HC (at least you got that right). I would have been happy with either back when the Bills were interviewing HCs in 2009 (it was 2009, right?). But Shanahan's horrendous team-killing stint in Washington gives me pause now. It was as bad of a performance by a HC as I have seen.

That leaves us with Cowher. And yes, I'd take him in a minute. Even though he has only been the HC of one NFL team, he did it for a long time at a pretty high level. I'm a bit concerned he hasn't been involved with coaching for five or so years. But sure. I'm in. So you think Bill is interested in coaching the Bills?

The coaches I mentioned all have a valid record of success in the NFL. Unlike Doug Marrone, who was the OC in New Orleans in name only.

Under Marrone, I have never witnessed a more pathetic offense in my 40 years as a Bills fan. The current defense being so great means that this franchise can't wait a few years for Doug to get that he is in the NFL now. This offense needs to be blown up to bits. I think you are in denial about this and see Doug as a smart guy who just needs elite players to make his system work. He's a huge failure. He never had the balls to challenge defenses vertically. If you never do this you will never have a running game worth anything. The constant runs up the middle and three yard passes get more and more suffocating. Be in denial all you want, Marrone is a bad head coach.

Please list all of the current NFL head coaches that Marrone is better than, I'll wait.

Edited by 1billsfan

My guess is that Marrone stays but Hackett and/or the Offensive line coach get canned. Something has to be done about the offense. I think they stick with Orton/EJ at QB. The Bills resign Hughes, but let Spiller and Spikes walk to clear cap space. Then Draft a RB and two OG in the draft and focus on the running game to take pressure of QB.

Very possible but also the problem with the NFL mindset. What is the biggest problem with the team? The OL. OK so let's fire that guy, he obviously has the talent but despite making it all the way to the NFL, just is a horrible coach. What else? Oh, the offense in general? OK, let's fire the coordinator too, you know since he has no limitations on him whatsoever given the massive OL talent and franchise QB.

Firing everyone, every time doesn't work. If you subscribe to that argument, that the talent is there and always has been, then why has every coach we've had in the last 15 years sucked and been fired? Let's be honest, it comes down to talent. Every single one of us here has worked in a job with a co-worked who can't be fixed. That despite his degree and years experience is just garbage. Should his boss be fired or him? Him. So why in the NFL do coaches get fired when the talent sucks, which has been the case for the Bills for 15 years? The argument comes down to talent evaluation and they've sucked it for a long time. And it plays out in a very odd manner... the guy drafting the players gets to hire the coaches and then fire the coaches when the players fail.... he gets to pass the blame.

I think anyone who can dedicate a few hours today to reading what's out there, watch some video (all-22), and watch today's game should come away with the issue. It's talent on the OL. It has killed the running game, thwarts the passing game, and like any QB playing behind such a line, you regress because the line play is so spotty you can never be confident you'll get the time you need.

Does that mean fire Whaley, hell no. People want to complain about the kujo pick, count me in. Some complain about the Watkins deal (not me). Call him out for being in the room and supporting the EJ pick fine (I'll say it til I'm dead.. when you need a QB you have to draft one and in the years the Bills have picked QBs they've picked after the talent, the Manning, RIvers or had to pick one and they were all garbage. the bigger issue might be the years they didnt take one). I see the pro and college personnel departments doing a very good job in the last two years. The drafts have been good (there will always be misses for everyone), they stole Hughes, they pour over the waiver wires and practice squads and have got some intriguing players like Gray and Thigpen.

I'm all for letting this coach and this GM ride it out. Put a president of football ops in above Whaley and put Brandan in as the CFO or something along those lines on the business side. If they got a legit TE and 2 guards, they're a playoff team next year with Orton. And no, I'm not drunk or high!!!! Look around this league at playoff QBs who sneak in outside of the franchise guys. Newton and Dalton's numbers are pretty close to Orton.

Newton - 13 games, 3,013 yards, 17 TDs, 12 ints, 58.3% comp., 81.3 rating

Dalton - 15 games, 3,154 yards, 17 TDs, 15 ints, 63.5 comp, 83.3 rating

Orton - 11 games, 2,842, 17 TDs, 10 ints, 63.9 comp, 86.8 rating

Neither is a franchise QB. They're good QBs. If we're talking playoffs, Orton can get it done with an improve line, which will make the running game better and along with a TE, make the passing game much improved.

I read Jay Skurski's five keys to the game and he basically called out Orton as the problem. Wrong and that's the problem with the media. Yeah he's had some bad moments. But we're not getting a QB in the draft this year, we'd only get a similar one in FA, so I'd take him back back and let EJ compete for a shot while taking a flyer in the 3rd round.

Let this group ride for another year!

The coaches I mentioned all have a valid record of successful in the NFL. Unlike Doug Marrone, who was the OC in New Orleans in name only.

Under Marrone, I have never witnessed a more pathetic offense in my 40 years as a Bills fan. The current defense being so great means that this franchise can't wait a few years for Doug to get that he is in the NFL now. This offense needs to be blown up to bits. I think you are in denial about this and see Doug as a smart guy who just needs elite players to make his system work. He's a huge failure. He never had the balls to challenge defenses vertically. If you never do this you will never have a running game worth anything. The constant runs up the middle and three yard passes get more and more suffocating. Be in denial all you want, Marrone is a bad head coach.

Please list all of the current NFL head coaches that Marrone is better than, I'll wait.

I love how you discount Marrone's OC stint by saying it was "in name only". He was also a very successful offensive line COACH in the NFL, but that doesn't count to you, I'm sure.

The fact you say Marrone didn't have the balls to challenge defenses vertically shows your ignorance, I think. It was't balls that were lacking there. And balls are really a small part of coaching. They can be important at times, but if you coach from your balls, you become Rex Ryan.

But anyway, this year, in Marrone's 2nd year as an NFL coach, he did a better job at HC than: Dennis Allen, Andy Reid, Ken Whisenhunt, Gus Bradley, Jeff Fisher, Jim Harbaugh, Lovie Smith, Sean Payton, Mike Smith, Marc Trestman, Jay Gruden, Tom Coughlin and your boy Rex Ryan. In fact THIS year, Marrone probably did a better coaching job than Chip Kelly. There are some pretty big names on that list.

I'm not arguing Marrone is, or will be, a better HC than some of these guys, It's too early to tell. But THIS YEAR, in just his 2nd year, he was a better HC than those on this list. And while I think Mike Pettine did a pretty good job for a rookie HC, the way his team is coming apart off the field, make me question his long-term viability. I hope he figures that out.