You pick our next OC

BmarvB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an OC who understands the current style of NFL offense. One who will have pass routes that go past the first down marker on 3rd down. A guy who will tell the coach, no, we will not punt. We can make this 4th and 1. A OC who tailors the plays and game plan to his players strengths. In short, everything Hackett is not.

And, because we have a HC who doesn't know this, we need a new HC more.

Bottom line is we need a veteran OC who knows WTH he's doing

You don't say?

If Marrone goes, hire Darrell Bevell. Winning pedigree, innovative offensive mind and a pupil of the best player coach in todays NFL, Pete Carrol. I'd love to see what he could do with this team.

Here is my quick fix, although I have no idea if the main component of it would want the job, and with an assist to Kirby Jackson for first putting the idea of the HC in my head.

1] Whaley tells Marrone we want you as the coach, but you must fire your OC plus OL and maybe the entire staff, and bring in a new one.

2] Marrone says not a chance, I will quit before I do that.

3] Whaley says that is your choice. We like you, we don't like how this offense performs. Marrone quits.

4] The Bills hire Gus Malzhan, the HC of Auburn who is the next big star offensive minded coach.

5] On the same day, the Bills give Schwartz a huge raise and promote him to Associate Head Coach, to help Malzahn with a lot of the duties a college coach coming to the NFL needs help with, perhaps with the caveat that Schwartz wait at least one year before interviewing for HC jobs.

I'd be all in on this. For the record, I'd be fine with Marrone staying another year, but for the first time all year I'll say Hackett has to go. He's had two years and the offense is simply uncoordinated.

Bill Callahan

Frank Reich (Asst HC job)

It's funny you say that because I'd like to see us get Scott Linehan off of Dallas for our next OC. Reunite him with Schwartz and if somehow we could get Tom Cable to get thrown into the mix as our OL Coach then I think that we would have the right coaches for the personnel that we currently have.

Ok, who would you like to see running the offense next season? There should be some pretty good offensive minds available once the firings begin.

OC is a tough call because it's hard to identify good play callers when they haven't done it.

Offense is the creative side of the ball. A good QB/RB/OL coach could easily have no feel for play calling.

Good, proven, progressive play callers are easiest found at the OC level in college and that is a huge jump from college OC to pro OC.

Defense.....there are always guys out there that can run a good defense given sound talent. Not that there isn't nuance to calling a good game defensively....and some guys like Wanny plain lose it.... but there are only so many ways to play defense and do it soundly.

It's also hard to find good proven NFL OC's on the street because they are usually directly responsible for their firing or are in demand for HC jobs.

I think Marrone is a prime example of a very well regarded offensive assistant who can't call plays. When he was an OC, Sean Peyton called plays. In Buffalo, he doesn't seem to have a better answer than what Hackett is calling.

But with all due respect to their suckitude on offense......they sure appeared to have a more progressive approach when they first arrived. IMO you have to attack the defense and keep them on their heels.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

OC is a tough call because it's hard to identify good play callers when they haven't done it.

Offense is the creative side of the ball. A good QB/RB/OL coach could easily have no feel for play calling.

Good, proven, progressive play callers are easiest found at the OC level in college and that is a huge jump from college OC to pro OC.

Defense.....there are always guys out there that can run a good defense given sound talent. Not that there isn't nuance to calling a good game defensively....and some guys like Wanny plain lose it.... but there are only so many ways to play defense and do it soundly.

It's also hard to find good proven NFL OC's on the street because they are usually directly responsible for their firing or are in demand for HC jobs.

I think Marrone is a prime example of a very well regarded offensive assistant who can't call plays. When he was an OC, Sean Peyton called plays. In Buffalo, he doesn't seem to have a better answer than what Hackett is calling.

But with all due respect to their suckitude on offense......they sure appeared to have a more progressive approach when they first arrived. IMO you have to attack the defense and keep them on their heels.

Agree with all of this.

A good OC is a combination of a lot of things but it starts at QB. The Bills don't have one.

I'd also add that offensive HC hire foot soldiers to run their Offense. Payton does it. Reid does it. McCarthy does it. And I believe Marrone does it. Hacketts a foot soldier running Marrones scheme.

lets pick an OC with a solid to good or even great veteran quarterback, those guys always seem to be good offensive coordinators. Don't take the coordinator with the bad quarterbacks they don't seem to be as good. :flirt:

most importantly can they bring that good qb with them ?

Edited by CardinalScotts

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say hire Chan Gailey. He does well with noodle-armed QBs and Linemen who can't block their way out of a paper bag.

he made Spiller, Urbick, Pears and others look good so it could work

Go get Scott Frost from Oregon as your OC. Let him install that up-tempo run-first offense. It would be a perfect fit for Buffalo winters and EJ Manuel.

is that the same Scott Frost who was a Nebraska QB ?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian