Deconstructing Marrone: Hackett Not To Blame

If a head coach is secure in his job and the team is winning consistently with O and D, I can see him falling on his sword for his OC. I think Marrone is probably pretty secure, so I have these questions about Marrone's deflecting the heat away from Hackett:

1. Is this just coachspeak, like his weekly "We've got to get better" statement?

2. Is Hackett going to be part of the package, i.e. Marrone stays = Hackett stays?

3. Is it a stall tactic because Marrone is not certain what Terkimula will want for changes?

4. This is overthinking, but does Marrone need to appear to be supportive of his OC to make the hiring of a new OC a bit smoother? (You wouldn't want to to work for a HC who throws his OC under the bus, right?)

Okay, TBD, break this down for me. I know football is a team game, takes 11 guys, it's all in the execution, blah blah blah. What is going on here?

Link

EDIT: GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is anticipating pressure to get rid of Hackett after the season, and is trying to de-fang the subject. Also, the Marrone stays=Hackett stays is correct. The best you could hope for if you are not a Hackett fan is for a senior Tom Moore type helper hired in the offseason.

Why is this correct? There is no guarantee Hackett stays. Marrone isn't going to throw Hackett under the bus now, but after the season do you think Marrone is going to be comfortable for another year having to answer questions as to why his offense is so inept?

I wouldn't say that Marrone stays= Hackett stays is 100%correct at all.

He is right the blame does fall on him. That being said, he also has made some boneheaded coaching decisions this year, that I wouldn't put on Hackett. If there were a way to just fire Hackett without firing him and losing our DC, I would be in favor. If he is going to be protective of Hackett, one more year with improvements is all you get at most.

I also hope Terry picks a good person to look over the organization, maybe that would help with the decisions, as well. I would like Hackett gone and almost would like HCDM gone too, but I am not as sure about that. Give him a 3rd year and see if he Chan's it, if he does we know he is not the answer.

Right now, I really like DCJS and would rather he was the coach. I hope he sticks with us and we have some consistency at least on that side of the ball. That D. It is the best thing this team has had in ages.

I've made both of these statements in other thread but they are worth repeating

1.) If we had a competent QB who could make simple throws, we would be easily in the playoffs and this conversation about the OC would not be happening

2.) The offense is Marrone's offense. I don't think Hackett has autonomy, therefore he does not deserve the blame. Unless Marrone is willing to give up control of the offense to a new OC, I think Hackett stays.

Edited by Maddog69

The OC's are hired and fired by the head coach in almost all situations. If Marrone insisted on keeping Hackett he would be able to convince Whaley and Pegula that the offensive ineptitude is a result of weak Oline and qb execution.

He might be right. Hackett called a great game against Denver. It hurts me to say that but it's true.

If Marrone takes the blame for the offense, then he should also take the fall for it. There is some talent there and he has completely misused it.

I agree, using his own words, it takes all 11 guys on the field to play cohesively, well him and Hackett cant get the job done, fire them both.

1.) If we had a competent QB who could make simple throws, we would be easily in the playoffs and this conversation about the OC would not be happening

2.) The offense is Marrone's offense. I don't think Hackett has autonomy, therefore he does not deserve the blame. Unless Marrone is willing to give up control of the offense to a new OC, I think Hackett stays.

The discussion starts and ends here, in my opinion. Whaley's task is to get a competent QB -- then you can judge the structure of the offense. As for complaints about personnel groupings and the like -- I agree they are at times confounding, but I also believe there are things we just aren't privy to as fans that explain why they are doing what they're doing.

I've asked these questions in other threads.

1.) How is it that both QBs have exactly the same issues?

2.) I thought Marrone's offense was no huddle, up tempo, what is this offense?

Edited by chris heff

Nate Hackett isn't good at his job. The Buffalo Bills are primed for a real push at the playoffs and possibly a Superbowl run next year and it would be foolish to continue the charade. Just like Hackett demoted Manuel, he needs to do the same with Hackett. If he doesn't want a demotion then he can go look elsewhere for work.

I hope they hire Chan Gailey or someone with a real track record of success getting the most out of his QBs. If not Chan, then there should be a few OC upgrades available after the season ends and teams start let go of coaches.

That is easy, both of the QBs stink. Here is the thing. There are a couple posters on this board that study that all 22 film. (I am not one of them). The common theme that these posters state after reviewing the filmm is that Hacket has plays that has receivers open. Is it Hacket's fault that he doesn't have a competent QB? I think Hacket should get another year.

Marrone will likely wind up coming back in 2015, but they cannot keep the status quo on the offensive side of the ball with regard to approach, staff, QB, and OL. It's just not working and they need to address it in a significant way in order for this team to realize its goals.

1.) One is a veteran, journeyman who has had these issues his entire career. The other is a young, inexperienced QB who had these issues in college and has yet to develop or improve them.

2.) Marrone was supposed to bring a dynamic, innovative offense. They initially tried the uptempo thing at the start of last year but the poor OL, inexperienced QBs and then EJ injury made them pull the plug. As for this year, not sure Orton is really the right guy to be running an uptempo offense.

Why is this correct? There is no guarantee Hackett stays. Marrone isn't going to throw Hackett under the bus now, but after the season do you think Marrone is going to be comfortable for another year having to answer questions as to why his offense is so inept?

I wouldn't say that Marrone stays= Hackett stays is 100%correct at all.

Because that is what these old-school type coaches do. Its all about loyalty and their reputation.

This is what strong leadership does. He's keeping the noise focused in one place and avoiding squabbling. Notice how the team talks about winning and losing as a team. Kyle Williams and the boys won't hear negatives about the O when they could easily be bragging about how they are carrying the team.

Marrone is being a leader and is creating a winning culture in Buffalo. Notice how he does not hesitate to take the O's struggles on himself but does not claim the same level of responsibility for special teams and D. I know we all want to win the Superbowl but recognize how poorly the organization as a whole functioned before Whaley and Marrone.

Because that is what these old-school type coaches do. Its all about loyalty and their reputation.

I agree with that. It's loyalty and pride that made Marrone hire Hackett in the first place. I'm sure deep down, he is concerned with Hackett. He can't say it now but our offense is a major, major problem.