SI: How the Bills are beating the NFL's best QBs

YoloinOhio

The Packers receivers did uncharacteristically drop 8 passes, and Rodgers was about as wild as Orton in the first quarter. Still, i think the Bills are fielding the very best defense in their history. This considering all the NFL rule changes to allow the offense more big passing plays. Jim Schwartz and his staff are making the so many great game plans, game calls to shut down some of the very best QB's in the league.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

impossible all our coaches are idiots...if it goes wrong Marrone's fault if it goes right Marrone had nothing to do with it!

The Packers receivers did uncharacteristically drop 8 passes, and Rodgers was about as wild as Orton in the first quarter. Still, i think the Bills are fielding the very best defense in their history. This considering all the NFL rule changes to allow the offense more big passing plays. Jim Schwartz and his staff are making the so many great game plans, game calls to shut down some of the very best QB's in the league.

\

ya guys drop passes....i rewatched the game last night.....many of the drops were behind the reciever

I don't agree with the "he was watching his eyes!" comments. First, QB's look off WR's all of the time. If Rodgers had made the correct read and done that in this case, it was an easy TD to the streaking WR.

Nope, Rambo clearly made the right read, watched his eyes the whole time and made the play. Simple as that.

Take notice on the play where Rambo cut in front of the receiver to intercept the ball...On that play, Rogers missed a wide open receiver at the top of the screen who looks like he would have scored 6. How come Rogers isn't being called out for throwing to the wrong guy? I guess elite quarterbacks make bad decisions too.

nQiX.gifI

From the All 22, it's apparent Williams is going to intersect with him in about two steps and clobber him. On the in-game close up replay, it's clear Nelson sees Williams coming just before the ball gets there. The Bills D was hitting those guys all game long, and I believe Nelson's drop had as much to do with his peek at Williams as anything else.

Of course, I meant the deep ball play to Nelson, not this one.

Edited by yungmack

What do you guys suppose Robey is communicating to Rambo pre-snap? I have a hunch he's letting Rambo know Cobb is his responsibility. I think Graham and/or Robey may have missed their assignments; Graham plays it like he's expecting help over the top. Helluva play by Rambo.

Take notice on the play where Rambo cut in front of the receiver to intercept the ball...On that play, Rogers missed a wide open receiver at the top of the screen who looks like he would have scored 6. How come Rogers isn't being called out for throwing to the wrong guy? I guess elite quarterbacks make bad decisions too.

nQiX.gifI

This play, IMO, is an example of great defense. Rodgers, like all good QBs, reads the defense pre-snap and sees the saftey on the right side of the field. So, he immediately thinks he has the deep crossing pattern open. Our slot DB (not sure who that is) recognizes something in the play an signals to the safety (Rambo) just prior to the snap. He then drops the receiver in coverage and signals again to Rambo, just as Rambo is beaking to get there. Nelson is running free at the top because the same DB never picked him up... had Rodgers seen that its and easy completion. But, when playing a defense with our pass rush, you often don't have time to look around. And, in fact, just as Rodgers steps up and throws, Hughes (I think its him) is circling back to knock him out.

So, as I see it, this is a great example of the defense knowing exactly what GB wanted to do and disguising their coverage just enough to let them think they can do it. And, of course, Rambo making an awesome play on the ball.

edit: I would also add that the line blocked for a crossing pattern to the left, as well. Notice there's a wall of people to Rodgers right and a huge passing lane to his left. Good offenses create passing lanes as well as running lanes (something never seen in our offense). This play was clearly designed for the deep crossing pattern and the Bills D read it and played it perfectly.

Edited by Dan

What do you guys suppose Robey is communicating to Rambo pre-snap? I have a hunch he's letting Rambo know Cobb is his responsibility. I think Graham and/or Robey may have missed their assignments; Graham plays it like he's expecting help over the top. Helluva play by Rambo.

Might've even been robey incorrectly asking for help - we probably won't ever know what the combo for the 3 should've been

Might've even been robey incorrectly asking for help - we probably won't ever know what the combo for the 3 should've been

Good point about Robey. It looks like a combination defense with Gilmore playing man but you usually don't play a combination like that with only one CB being in man coverage. If I had to guess, I'd say Graham misplayed it. Hard to tell sometimes. Regardless, Nelson never should have been left alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Good point about Robey. It looks like a combination defense with Gilmore playing man but you usually don't play a combination like that with only one CB being in man coverage. If I had to guess, I'd say Graham misplayed it. Hard to tell sometimes. Regardless, Nelson never should have been left alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Youve got tha all 22 and you still cant tell what defense theyre in.

And you say Manuel is slow...

I kid, i kid

I read somewhere that we were out of position on that play b/c it was one of the only times in the game where we were trying some kind of defensive trickery. Wasnt blown coverage at all, was designed that way

Edited by mastershake

Sorry, Jay. If this was supposed to somehow have me stand corrected, I don't. So I'm not sure why you posted this link for me when others in the thread asked for further clarification. I don't feel I need it, but thanks anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

It was a visual depiction of what you described, not a correction in any way.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Youve got tha all 22 and you still cant tell what defense theyre in.

And you say Manuel is slow...

LOL!

They're in a cover-1 man-combo from the looks of it. We're trying to figure out which DB didn't get the memo.

GO BILLS!!!

It was a visual depiction of what you described, not a correction in any way.

I stand corrected.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL!

They're in a cover-1 man-combo from the looks of it. We're trying to figure out which DB didn't get the memo.

GO BILLS!!!

I stand corrected.

GO BILLS!!!

Right on, im gonna try an stop being such a wiseass on here, its my only skill though. Not an X's and O's guy but love reading others takes on here

I have noticed Robey do this a lot. He is identifying things, and constantly making calls and getting people in the right position. As a nickel, he seems to be the QB of the entire secondary.

i saw someone in the national media (believe it or not) point out that the Bills are very fortunate to have a guy like Robey who can cover those little slot guys. He said many teams just don't have that guy because DB depth is so low across the league. Edited by YoloinOhio