SI: How the Bills are beating the NFL's best QBs

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool.. So he admitted he made the wrong decision.

Great Bills D effort and awful game by Rogers = win for Bills. Let's hope we catch Brady having one of those days too.

He never got that far in his reads. Rodgers would be called out if it was a consistent issue. Quit arguing the gap between the two isn't huge with a single play.

Yes it was the wrong decision dude...the friggin ball got picked.....Why can't you just admit that Rogers made a bad decision? Even he admitted it. He said the receiver APPEARED to be open.

He didn't say, well my guy was open but I decided to throw the ball to the safety instead. You can say that the coverage was soft, but it wasn't soft enough or else it would not have been picked.

I hope every qb we face makes the same accurate decision you seem to think Rogers made on that play.....

If anything you might argue that Rambo made a very risky play that most qbs would not anticipate because of the incredible downside and questionable upside but he gambled and it worked

Also they love to talk about the Nelson drop but forget to mention if Gilmore held on he would have scored on the interception. Or the other pick if it wasn't dropped. Should have had 4 picks on Rodgers on the day.

Lol, if Gilmore could learn at all how to catch with his hands and not let everything hit his body... That still would have been a pick 6 even with Nelson slapping at him. Guess that's why he's a DB though

Cool.. So he admitted he made the wrong decision.

Great Bills D effort and awful game by Rogers = win for Bills. Let's hope we catch Brady having one of those days too.

I don't really get this. Maybe it was the Bills defense that CAUSED him to have a bad day? Maybe he would have had a good day against a different defense? I think it takes away from how good our defense played.

Disagree... Look at the play a few more times. Rambo turns his shoulder away from the outside receiver and starts cheating towards the slot guy well before Rogers locked on him. When Rogers locked in on the slot receiver, then Rambo made a break on the ball.

If that was Orton in at QB on that play, some people would be using this as yet another excuse to call him the worst qb in the league. But because it is Rogers, they say the defender made a great play instead of blaming the QB for a bad decision.

What are you talking about? Kyle orton is obviously a great QB!! Why would anyone say he sucks?

Btw, Rambo did make a great play.

A question from the article, for the knowledgeable fans here. Marrone is quoted in that article: "Obviously, they played at a very high level," Marrone said of his defense. "We were able to go in and, early on, we took away some of the stop-nines they were trying to run and get them to the second read..."

What exactly are 'stop-nines'?

kj

I guess you and I are the only ones who don't know.

Here's my best guess though: a "nine" is a streak on the standard WR route tree. I'm guessing a "stop-nine" is where a WR looks like he's going to streak but then stops.

Take notice on the play where Rambo cut in front of the receiver to intercept the ball...On that play, Rogers missed a wide open receiver at the top of the screen who looks like he would have scored 6. How come Rogers isn't being called out for throwing to the wrong guy? I guess elite quarterbacks make bad decisions too.

Geez--talk about risky coverage.

Looked like Graham just sat down in a short zone, and thought he had help over the top. Basically, Rambo had to cover two guys over the top? Seems like someone made a mistake on that play--probably Graham.

Looked like Graham just sat down in a short zone, and thought he had help over the top. Basically, Rambo had to cover two guys over the top? Seems like someone made a mistake on that play--probably Graham.

Yes it looked like Graham was handing off coverage to a ghost man on that play. Something definitely wrong there. But, the outcome was stellar.

next up they need to prove it by stopping Brady,

I posted this in the farewell to Ryan thread

in 2 weeks time, I'd love to see him hired as as a defensive assistant to Schwartz. He does know how to defeat the Putrids, and if the HC swings from Marone to Schwartz then Ryan can go from DA to DC

next up they need to prove it by stopping Brady,

I posted this in the farewell to Ryan thread

in 2 weeks time, I'd love to see him hired as as a defensive assistant to Schwartz. He does know how to defeat the Putrids, and if the HC swings from Marone to Schwartz then Ryan can go from DA to DC

Wouldn't Rex want to run his own style of D though while Schwartz would want his wide 9? Nice thought but it seems like there would be a lot of head butting. No?

Wouldn't Rex want to run his own style of D though while Schwartz would want his wide 9? Nice thought but it seems like there would be a lot of head butting. No?

sure. but after this debacle ..... who's going to hire him immediately as a HC or DC? just wishful thinking on my part

The Pegulas need to strike fast and git er done

A question from the article, for the knowledgeable fans here. Marrone is quoted in that article: "Obviously, they played at a very high level," Marrone said of his defense. "We were able to go in and, early on, we took away some of the stop-nines they were trying to run and get them to the second read..."

What exactly are 'stop-nines'?

kj

I guess you and I are the only ones who don't know.

Here's my best guess though: a "nine" is a streak on the standard WR route tree. I'm guessing a "stop-nine" is where a WR looks like he's going to streak but then stops.

Thanks for that. Anyone else?

kj

Disagree... Look at the play a few more times. Rambo turns his shoulder away from the outside receiver and starts cheating towards the slot guy well before Rogers locked on him. When Rogers locked in on the slot receiver, then Rambo made a break on the ball.

If that was Orton in at QB on that play, some people would be using this as yet another excuse to call him the worst qb in the league. But because it is Rogers, they say the defender made a great play instead of blaming the QB for a bad decision.

Disagree. If you look at the play closely Rambo is reacting to where Rodgers eyes are, which is towards Cobb. If he had been looking to the receiver at the top, Rambo very well may have been there to make that play. Bottom line, we were playing with one deep safety on that play and Rambo handled it as well as anyone could have.

Yes it was the wrong decision dude...the friggin ball got picked.....Why can't you just admit that Rogers made a bad decision? Even he admitted it. He said the receiver APPEARED to be open.

He didn't say, well my guy was open but I decided to throw the ball to the safety instead. You can say that the coverage was soft, but it wasn't soft enough or else it would not have been picked.

I hope every qb we face makes the same accurate decision you seem to think Rogers made on that play.....

No dude. Rambo watched Rodgers eyes and made a play to where he knew where he was going. Why can't you just admit that Rambo made the right defensive read???

Thanks for that. Anyone else?

kj

"9" routes are essentially any route a receiver runs straight down field. That could mean a "go" or "fly" or even a "fade". The key being there are no cuts made by the receiver in the course of the route. A "stop nine" is exactly what it sounds like; the receiver streaks and then stops. Commentators usually refer to these in replays as "back shoulder throws" by the QB with no allusion to the actual route run by the receiver.

And Marrone is right, GB makes a living off these. Rodgers missed a few the other day.

GO BILLS!!!

"9" routes are essentially any route a receiver runs straight down field. That could mean a "go" or "fly" or even a "fade". The key being there are no cuts made by the receiver in the course of the route. A "stop nine" is exactly what it sounds like; the receiver streaks and then stops. Commentators usually refer to these in replays as "back shoulder throws" by the QB with no allusion to the actual route run by the receiver.

And Marrone is right, GB makes a living off these. Rodgers missed a few the other day.

GO BILLS!!!

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=125

"He appeared to be open" is not the wrong decision. It was a good play by Rambo, end of story.

Disagree. If you look at the play closely Rambo is reacting to where Rodgers eyes are, which is towards Cobb. If he had been looking to the receiver at the top, Rambo very well may have been there to make that play. Bottom line, we were playing with one deep safety on that play and Rambo handled it as well as anyone could have.

No dude. Rambo watched Rodgers eyes and made a play to where he knew where he was going. Why can't you just admit that Rambo made the right defensive read???

I don't agree with the "he was watching his eyes!" comments. First, QB's look off WR's all of the time. If Rodgers had made the correct read and done that in this case, it was an easy TD to the streaking WR. Second, in the article linked in the OP, Rambo says:

"Me and Robey just communicated, studying film and just talking to those guys," Rambo said. "We knew once 18, Cobb, once he ran that route, I was going to take him and he was going to free up. When it happened I was like, 'Oh, here it comes.' I just saw Rodgers eyeing his guy, and I just broke on the ball and made a play."

Rambo was on Cobb from the start. That's not to say there is absolutely no chance that he couldn't have changed his read, but based on the communication before the play (you can actually see it take place, which is pretty cool given the result) and his comments, he knew where he was going. He did have great timing, watching Rogers until he was throwing before making his break; which turned into an outstanding play, but if Rogers had seen the top WR, it was over. The end result was a great INT by Rambo, a bad read by Rogers, horrible coverage by Graham, and a W for the Bills!

Edit: I'll also add a kudos to Robey who it appears was the one to recognize the play and communicate with Rambo.

Edited by Acantha