#1 Defense by Football Outsiders

1B4IDie

After embarrassing Rodgers the Bills finally claim the #1 DVOA Defense by Football Outsiders.

We've been #1 in Weighted Defense the last 3 weeks.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

No one wants to play this team right now (Except maybe Brady because it would be good warm up for them before the playoffs and that's how that box of douche bags thinks)

I'd take the Bills Defense vs Luck in a playoff game. If Only the fates align . . . .

Even if we win both games, can we still not get in? Are we needing a loss from KC, SD or whoever else we lost too?

we do not control our own destiny, but it obviously goes a long way if we win.

we can be eliminated this weekend even if we win, i believe.

if we beat the pats after beating the Raiders, opposing offenses would not be crazy about us as we defensively gave the Broncos a ton too.

If we played the Colts (no running game and pedestrian defense) we'd ahve a shot, Bengals I'd feel decent about that one, and with the Steelers you never know who will you get. The next round would be tough.

I'd enjoy a first round win with a punishing defense and maybe an improved running game.Going back to Denver or NE would be tough.

Have watched many of the ESPN, NFL highlights and in everything the talking head tries to bring about how GB could have won the game if Nelson catches the ball and the guests have admonished each of them by asking them to look at the type of Defense they are playing. They are not surprised that this defense is a top level defense based on the front seven. The surprise this year has been the play of Bradham and Brown. With Kiko back next year, this can be a top level defense.

If the Bengals, Steelers and Ravens win this week, we are out. Also, if the Chargers, Chiefs and Ravens win this week, we are out....

If Th Steelers, 9ers, Broncos win this week.

Then we are in with Bills a win and a Steelers win in week 17.

What is your point?

I'm just happy that we are in the best case scenario that most hoped for. Nobody that I can think of on this board or in the media actually thought we'd win the division. On the other side just about everyone's best case scenario was 10-6 and challenge for (or get) a wild card birth. This is already a successful season in my book when thinking about last year and this past offseason. If we make the playoffs it's icing on the cake. That being said... Nobody in their right minds thinks of us as an automatic W anymore and they don't want anything to do with our defense in the playoffs. I think that if we get in we could even win a game or two. Hopefully something sparks offensively with Spiller back

Edited by SJDK

Have watched many of the ESPN, NFL highlights and in everything the talking head tries to bring about how GB could have won the game if Nelson catches the ball and the guests have admonished each of them by asking them to look at the type of Defense they are playing. They are not surprised that this defense is a top level defense based on the front seven. The surprise this year has been the play of Bradham and Brown. With Kiko back next year, this can be a top level defense.

I would love to keep spikes for thst run thumper. He And brown could sub each other out situationally. That to me would be ideal

I would love to keep spikes for thst run thumper. He And brown could sub each other out situationally. That to me would be ideal

I think the Hughes/Spikes/Scwartz situation is going to be really interesting.

All 3 could leave in the off season and you know what. None would be that big of a loss.

The team is super talented. You can go from Pettine to Scwartz to (John Fox/Rex Ryan/Haslett) or whatever other Defensive minded former HC that gets **** canned and the defense will still hum.

Hughes is playing extremely well but with Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus and Mario Williams. You can stick any speed rusher at the other DE spot and they will get sacks. They Definitely won't be as dominant in the run game as Hughes has been but they are going to get singles and they would just need to beat a few 1:1s in atleast 30 passing plays a game to get sacks.

Spikes has made some HUUUGE stops. He isn't on the field too often but when he is he tends to make a play on a large percentage of his field appearances. Spikes is a HUUUGe liability in coverage and has shown that while a Buffalo Bill but damn that dude can really stop a RB dead in their tracks.

Out of all 3 Spikes is probably the most irreplaceable and don't discount his lack of playing time for lack of impact. You make one big 3rd and 2nd tackle a game and that play alone can have a huge impact on Wins and Losses. Yeah he won't be an every down LB but he will end opposing offenses drives and get the ball back in the (inept) hands of our offense.

The point is, with the Core of Brown/Alonso/Williams&Williams&Williams/Dareus/Gilmore you can stick guys like Graham, Bradham, a Speed Rushers and rotational D-Lineman and LBs in and have a great defense. The team is just loaded with talent.

i think Bradham is definitely going to leave and get paid way too much somewhere else.

Even if Spike/Schwartz/Hughes all leave the Defense will still be Boss.

The interesting part is that Hughes had a rough start in Indi and may know that Williams/Williams/Dareus is the line you want to play on, he may give the Bills a discount to stay on that line.

Scwartz had a rough outing in Detroit and I'm sure teams will want to give him an interview as HC in the off season but he may bypass because, damn, this has got to be a fun team to coach.

Spikes may want to find a team that will play him every down however, Just imagine how long he can play in the NFL as the "Run Stuffer" specialty. If you play 11 impact snaps a game, He could do that for a decade and get paid the whole time. Especially on this team where the O-Line can't worry about the second level when the first level is stealing their lunch money. Spikes basically gets an unblocked free run at the Ball carrier on most plays.

They all may go chase Waterfalls but they should probably stick the rivers that they're used to in Buffalo.

We will see . . .

Edited by Why So Serious?