Report: Trestman done in Chi-town

YoloinOhio

What has Trestman shown you that says he is a good HC ? If he was, the team wouldn't look so lost and disinterested past the half way mark this year. Their performances have been lackluster and the team has lately been an embrassment.

Cutler for sure is a huge problem, but a HC should be able to get his team to transcend a sucky QB and atleast have them trying to win.

Haha! Just like Marrones doing

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What has Trestman shown you that says he is a good HC ? If he was, the team wouldn't look so lost and disinterested past the half way mark this year. Their performances have been lackluster and the team has lately been an embrassment.

Cutler for sure is a huge problem, but a HC should be able to get his team to transcend a sucky QB and atleast have them trying to win.

But given our defense and Schwartz, won't he be a much better coach here? Even a decent offense would have this team sitting pretty in the playoff picture.

I'd take him as an OC in a heartbeat.

Make no mistake. Trestman is an excellent HC and would be a huge upgrade over Marrone. Cutler is what is killing him in Chicago. His support for Cutler and his attempts to work with him to improve have now cost him the respect of the team who hate Cutler. Yes Trestman was a CFL coach and a Grey Cup Championship winner twice, how does that diminish him exactly? Have some of you forgotten Marv? They both coached the Montreal Alouettes no less, to championships and they are both great coaches no matter the league Cutler is the problem in Chicago, not Trestman.

Trestman's problem is that the talent level on the Bears defense is probably the worst in the NFL. No one in their secondary is good enough to beat out the dime back for the Bills. Cutler is a problem, but not acknowledging the awfulness of the defensive talent is whistling past the graveyard. They are 32nd in points allowed and -- more importantly -- 32nd in points allowed per drive. They are 30th in both yards and yards allowed per drive.

Here's the real shocker: Opposing QBs have a collective rating of 106.1 against the Bears. Read that again: 106.1.

They literally have no talent in the secondary at all.

Edited by dave mcbride

Trestman's problem is that the talent level on the Bears defense is probably the worst in the NFL. No one in their secondary is good enough to beat out the dime back for the Bills. Cutler is a problem, but not acknowledging the awfulness of the defensive talent is whistling past the graveyard. They are 32nd in points allowed and -- more importantly -- 32nd in points allowed per drive. They are 30th in both yards and yards allowed per drive.

Here's the real shocker: Opposing QBs have a collective rating of 106.1 against the Bears. Read that again: 106.1.

They literally have no talent in the secondary at all.

That is accurate.

However, I watched them the other night. Did you? The offense was also a total trainwreck. Tons of pre-snap penalties and apparently they have like 100+ false start penalties over the past 4 years (only 2 of those years are Trestman). The blocking schemes were off - they couldn't pick up stunts and they didn't have proper hot reads. Cutler wasn't making the right calls at the line. It was a total disaster - they looked even worse than the Bills' offense, which is really saying something... that entire team is a mess right now, not just the defense.

But given our defense and Schwartz, won't he be a much better coach here? Even a decent offense would have this team sitting pretty in the playoff picture.

I'd take him as an OC in a heartbeat.

My argument was not against him as a possible OC for the Bills. I thought the poster was saying he was a good HC and I disagreed with that thought.

That is accurate.

However, I watched them the other night. Did you? The offense was also a total trainwreck. Tons of pre-snap penalties and apparently they have like 100+ false start penalties over the past 4 years (only 2 of those years are Trestman). The blocking schemes were off - they couldn't pick up stunts and they didn't have proper hot reads. Cutler wasn't making the right calls at the line. It was a total disaster - they looked even worse than the Bills' offense, which is really saying something... that entire team is a mess right now, not just the defense.

I did watch, and they were a total trainwreck. But the offense occasionally has good games. The defense does not. It has been the equivalent of swiss cheese almost every week save for games against the Vikings and Bucs (teams with bad or rookie QB situations).

Edited by dave mcbride

Trestman as our QB coach or offensive quality control or anything but coordinator. I think that'd be better then giving him the reigns.

But by all means, I want them to download trestmans brain in to hackett. Rest man has had his ego checked and better be humbled. I think a humble brain with an energetic and learning oc is a good mix.

Spot on!

Make no mistake. Trestman is an excellent HC and would be a huge upgrade over Marrone. Cutler is what is killing him in Chicago. His support for Cutler and his attempts to work with him to improve have now cost him the respect of the team who hate Cutler. Yes Trestman was a CFL coach and a Grey Cup Championship winner twice, how does that diminish him exactly? Have some of you forgotten Marv? They both coached the Montreal Alouettes no less, to championships and they are both great coaches no matter the league Cutler is the problem in Chicago, not Trestman.

I think your name here says it all. Living in the past. I'm sure Trestman was the guy you wanted over St. Doug, but the results are in and one team plays hard, knocks out players and just humbled two future HOFers and the other is getting blown out on a regular basis with one of the best set of play makers in the NFL and a 100 million dollar QB

I'll take St. Doug

That is accurate.

They look ill prepared to play. One thing that finally pushed me over the edge with Chan, to often the team looked unprepared to play

Only once can I say the entire team wasn't ready to play for Doug Marrone, against Pittsburgh last year.

Even with Jeff Freaking Tuel we had an undefeated team on the ropes. Trestman has Cutler who many here say is an upgrade over anything we have

Trestman is a good coach, he's been handed a raw deal here.

for some reason I can see Tennessee trading for him. He's a Vandy guy, they need a QB, Whisenhunt fixed Rivers last year...

Actually not a bad theory at all. I'm not sure if the Titans really see Mettenberger as their QB of the future so this could be possible, but only if Whisenhunt is still there.

After the Bears GM saw what Schwartz did to Aaron Rodgers, I gotta wonder if the Chicago FO is looking this way. That Bear defense is near last in the NFL the last two years, and was a top 5 unit under Lovie Smith.

Just think they fired Lovie after a 10-6 season.

EDIT: Oh, and i don't want pass happy Trestman as the next Bills OC, as we see enough of that crap from Hackett. Its like Trestman doesn't care if he has Matt Forte on his team, what a jackass. 534 passes vs 312 rushes.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Trestman is a good coach, he's been handed a raw deal here.

Actually not a bad theory at all. I'm not sure if the Titans really see Mettenberger as their QB of the future so this could be possible, but only if Whisenhunt is still there.

From my point of view Mettenberger has shown some talent in the few games he played before getting hurt but the sample size is too low for them to go into next season with a 6th rd draft pick as the starter and nothing else but Charlie Whitehurst. Locker will be gone, DCs will have film on Mett by then, and drafting another rookie QB wouldn't make much sense if they have an interest in developing Mett. Bringing in a starting caliber vet makes sense it just depends on whether Chicago wants to get rid of Cutler badly enough to cough up all the money that would go along with that and what they would demand in a trade. I could see Tennessee giving them a 2nd or third rd pick if they wanted him. I don't want any part of Cutler and hope the Bills don't do it, but QBs just have such high value.