How much will it take to keep Hughes?

Rubes

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we pay the linebackers significantly if Schwartz is around long term. He never has prioritized them. I think we cycle guys like brown, bradham, and kiko picking up comp picks and cap space on departure. Occasionally a rivers type player to fill a gap too. Playing behind this front 4 you get better value out of those mid tier guys. Especially with our guys getting inflated stats behind them their second contracts will inflate.

I hate how that makes sense. I don't want us to let Kiko leave. :(

jG6Vgjp.png

no way hughes is worth big money.

PRO: one trick pony who uses speed only (no power) to mop up "coverage" sacks and turnovers. gets credit for facing opponents LT.

CON: weak vs Run , no power and is handled one on one by opposing tight ends. was pancaked 6 times vs cleveland, often turns his back to blocker during spin move and completely gives up on play, is the most penalized player on team (mentally challenged) , leads the league in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. is total beneficiary of playing on line with 3 pro bowlers. is never double teamed. if he left buffalo and was the #1 rusher on another team you would never hear his name again.

Conclusion: if you can get him for $7-8 mil maybe, anything more and your better off spending it elsewhere. retaining dareus and kyle Williams far more important.

Seeya Spiller,Pears,Lee Smith. HELLO Jerry.

I'd add Spikes to that list. Preston Brown is clearly the future at ILB, and Spikes makes too much to be a 1-2 down LB. I love Spikes as a run stuffer, but if Buffalo wants to re-sign Hughes, Spikes is a luxury they can't afford.

Releasing just Pears and Spikes saves Buffalo nearly 5.2 million in cap space.

I'd add Spikes to that list. Preston Brown is clearly the future at ILB, and Spikes makes too much to be a 1-2 down LB. I love Spikes as a run stuffer, but if Buffalo wants to re-sign Hughes, Spikes is a luxury they can't afford.

Releasing just Pears and Spikes saves Buffalo nearly 5.2 million in cap space.

I may be in the minority but I could see Spikes back as a part time guy. He adds some much needed toughness and attitude. I think that he is as valuable Monday - Saturday as he is in Sunday.

What? mario Williams is still the second highest paid defensive player in the league . second to JJ Watt and his recent extension. hardly "run of the mill".

Watt and McCoy got similiar deals this year.

Suh and Dareus will get them this coming year.

Every young Pro Bowl level D lineman will be getting 100 million dollar contracts for the rest of forever.

I like Hughes as much as the next guy but how much $ is he really worth? 9.5 sacks and a great season so far no doubt...but he gets to play with 3 legit pro bowl players next to him.

Are his stats the product of his teammates around him? Is he the type of player that would be a #1 DE on another team? Is he really going to smarten up his game and stop taking dumb penalties for trash talking? Is he motivated by being an UFA this year about to cash out in FA or has he really found his groove in the NFL?

These are all questions Im asking if I'm Doug Whaley. I would be happy paying the man but once he hits the market the dollars tend to get ridiculous. I would be willing to put the franchise tag on him and see if a team bites for a first rounder swap and trade.

I would prioritize resigning Dareus and Gilmoure to long term deals, then I would worry about Hughes.

You raise good points, but I would point to last season. He played well. He was playing better in Indy his last year there before he got traded. He does benefit from the other players on the line, but that same thing can be said about the others as well. Hughes has elite physical gifts, in terms of speed and quickness, paired with a great on-field work ethic, that allows him to take advantage of one on one match-ups. Another player, without those physical traits or desire, will not necessarily be able to match his numbers.

Leon Seals and Art Still were good NFL players, but they weren't difference makers like Hughes has been and they were playing across from, arguably, the best DE in the history of the shield. Hughes is a good thing and there is no reason to talk ourselves out of it. Lets appreciate it and hopefully the front office keeps him. I don't like the idea of giving up what they've built in that front seven. That D has kept the Bills in every game. Even when the D was uneven against the Chargers and Pats the offense still had opportunities to help win the game.

Dareus should get the franchise tag, I think Dareus is more important to the defense and is younger too. The team should then open up the bank for Hughes. Keeping both is key to keeping this defense at a top level. Kiko is coming back next year, he could be a really good addition to the front 7. The offense could be improved with draft choices (Could find a good guard in the 2nd or 3rd) and mid level signings.

If you keep the defense together and Orton is your QB you can play to your strengths and try to have him be a game manager and improve your run game.

Dareus should get the franchise tag, I think Dareus is more important to the defense and is younger too. The team should then open up the bank for Hughes. Keeping both is key to keeping this defense at a top level. Kiko is coming back next year, he could be a really good addition to the front 7. The offense could be improved with draft choices (Could find a good guard in the 2nd or 3rd) and mid level signings.

If you keep the defense together and Orton is your QB you can play to your strengths and try to have him be a game manager and improve your run game.

Dareus still has another year before we need to do anything.

Dareus still has another year before we need to do anything.

For some reason I thought he was a free agent. Still not sure if Hughes would be worth the franchise tag. His "fair" value is 7-8 million, good intense speed rusher. But the guy is big liability against the run and is mainly a speed rusher who has limitations in the pass rush because of that. But teams always scramble and overpay in free agency. I think if you want a good shot at keeping him 9-10 million will be what it takes. Some team desperate for help in pass rush will be willing to go over fair value.

We can front and back load contracts to balance the cap out as well. I know we were cash to the cap in our philosophy, but teams like Washington and the Cowgirls always find ways to restructure to make room. As long as Terry isn't cheap, I am sure we can find a reasonable way to move forward....

That being said, Hughes should be resigned and I think we can grab Spikes too.

That being said, Hughes should be resigned and I think we can grab Spikes too.

The question is, would Spikes want to stay? His playing time is already very limited, and it's unlikely they'd be able to offer him a starting spot next year with Bradham, Brown, and Kiko.

The question is, would Spikes want to stay? His playing time is already very limited, and it's unlikely they'd be able to offer him a starting spot next year with Bradham, Brown, and Kiko.

Just following him on twitter, seems like he is really enjoying his time here and has had lots of good things to say about the fans and even busting with his teammates. I would say as long as the money is close he would re-up. Plus you would think he still would like to spoil things for Bellicheat...Depth is never a bad thing and LBs don't cost an arm and a leg

Hard to say what he is looking for....