Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please don't take this the wrong way as I haven't really wached him play much. But does he throw a lot of screen passes? Do his WRs get a lot of YAC? Or is he throwing downfield a lot into tight coverage. Serious question, not trying to be a jerk. I know he is very highly thought of by a lot more than just you, and just haven't delved into the nfl draft analysis of him.

There is no such thing as tight coverage vs. Oregon. It's a turkey shoot for their QBs. Has been for several years now. When they play Alabama, it'll be the closest to "NFL open" they will have seen to that point. Mariotta needs to show those at the next level he's up for it.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I would be curious to read Kiper's explanation for why Mariota is not a "franchise QB". IMO, Mariota is easily the best prospect since Luck and will be a better pro than Luck.

Must be an Oregon fan? :P Mariota is the best QB prospect in the draft for sure, but I don't think I would dare have the gall to say he will be better than Andrew Luck. Does he have the potential to be a good QB in the NFL? Sure. Alot of guys have potential, but he has always played in that gimmick offense in Oregon and doesn't have to do the prototypical things QB's do at the next level as much. I want to se how he operates from under, how he goes through his progressions, and the footwork before I dub him better than a proven pro who has done it with a mediocre offensive line.

Must be an Oregon fan? :P Mariota is the best QB prospect in the draft for sure, but I don't think I would dare have the gall to say he will be better than Andrew Luck. Does he have the potential to be a good QB in the NFL? Sure. Alot of guys have potential, but he has always played in that gimmick offense in Oregon and doesn't have to do the prototypical things QB's do at the next level as much. I want to se how he operates from under, how he goes through his progressions, and the footwork before I dub him better than a proven pro who has done it with a mediocre offensive line.

I recognize that there are concerns about Mariota related to the Oregon system. Upthread, I recognize that some of those concerns are legitimate. Nevertheless, I think the guy will do even better in more of a pro-style system and I think--in the future--he will turn out to be an even better pro than Luck. I think Luck is very good, but I don't think he's the second coming, at least not yet. He has won a lot of games, but the last two years they have been against lousy teams. Witness yesterday: He played poorly against a pretty bad defense and his team narrowly beat a mediocre Houston team operating with its 3d string QB. Look at Indy's wins this year--not a single impressive one in the bunch, except arguably Baltimore. I feel pretty confident saying that the Bills would whack Indy this year, especially if they played at the Ralph.

Better than Luck IMO

Mariota looks kinda skinny to me. I wonder how his body holds up in nfl. Be interesting to see his combine #'s

Stop it. On no planet is JW on the same level of Luck in terms of an NFL prospect. Even if he was an altar boy, Luck does everything better than Winston.

... Unless you're thinking about converting them to a safety, then maybe Winston would be higher rated.

Stop it. On no planet is JW on the same level of Luck in terms of an NFL prospect. Even if he was an altar boy, Luck does everything better than Winston.

... Unless you're thinking about converting them to a safety, then maybe Winston would be higher rated.

So - you might want to fire up the millennium falcon and return to whatever planet you came from. Winston IS on every level a BETTER NFL prospect than Luck was through this point in their careers:

Luck (2009) - Freshman - 56.3 % comp, 2575 yds, 13 TD, 4 int, 8-5 overall record

Winston (2013) - Freshman - 70.7 % comp, 4057 yds, 40 TD, 10 int, 14-0 overall record

Luck (2010) - Sophmore - 66.9 % comp, 3338 yds, 32 TD, 8 int, 12-1 overall record

Winston (2014) - Sophmore - 65.5 % comp, 3559 yds, 24 TD, 17 int, overall record 13-0

Unless you base your statement off of interceptions - then Winston is better in every single category over Luck. But let's not let facts get in the way of your biased opinion. Stay classy.

So - you might want to fire up the millennium falcon and return to whatever planet you came from. Winston IS on every level a BETTER NFL prospect than Luck was through this point in their careers:

Luck (2009) - Freshman - 56.3 % comp, 2575 yds, 13 TD, 4 int, 8-5 overall record

Winston (2013) - Freshman - 70.7 % comp, 4057 yds, 40 TD, 10 int, 14-0 overall record

Luck (2010) - Sophmore - 66.9 % comp, 3338 yds, 32 TD, 8 int, 12-1 overall record

Winston (2014) - Sophmore - 65.5 % comp, 3559 yds, 24 TD, 17 int, overall record 13-0

Unless you base your statement off of interceptions - then Winston is better in every single category over Luck. But let's not let facts get in the way of your biased opinion. Stay classy.

Stop. He's not. There are zero scenarios where Winston would have gone over Luck, even if he was a choir boy. He's not on Lucks level.

Stop. He's not. There are zero scenarios where Winston would have gone over Luck, even if he was a choir boy. He's not on Lucks level.

Are you basing this thought on Mel Kiper's Big Board? What layer of documented performance do you see that Luck was a better QB than Winston to this point in their careers?

Are you basing this thought on Mel Kiper's Big Board? What layer of documented performance do you see that Luck was a better QB than Winston to this point in their careers?

Every scout I have ever spoken too (which is a lot). Every game I watched at Stanford. Every game I've seen Winston play (though to be fair I only saw luck live, never Winston). Numbers aren't what scouts judge QBs on -- at least not in a vaccum -- and Luck was known to be a slam dunk, can't miss prospect.

Winston is NOT a cant miss prospect -- even if his off the field issues weren't issues.

Every scout I have ever spoken too (which is a lot). Every game I watched at Stanford. Every game I've seen Winston play (though to be fair I only saw luck live, never Winston). Numbers aren't what scouts judge QBs on -- at least not in a vaccum -- and Luck was known to be a slam dunk, can't miss prospect.

Winston is NOT a cant miss prospect -- even if his off the field issues weren't issues.

This is all true. It doesn't mean that Winston won't be a good pro but in terms of the scouting community there is no chance that he will be graded out as high as Luck. I believe that Luck was the highest graded QB prospect since Elway in '83. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is all true. It doesn't mean that Winston won't be a good pro but in terms of the scouting community there is no chance that he will be graded out as high as Luck. I believe that Luck was the highest grades QB prospect since Elway in '83.

Absolutely. I'm not making future predictions, just saying JTSP and Noles contention that Winston would be equal or higher rated than Luck is criminally insane.