$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

A word of advice: pay no attention to the Bills' QB situation. Wouldn't want to undo the results of that surgery with a sudden knee-jerk reaction...

Mariota hasn't thrown an INT in camp and Whaley refused to trade up for him.

A word of advice: pay no attention to the Bills' QB situation. Wouldn't want to undo the results of that surgery with a sudden knee-jerk reaction...

Mariota hasn't thrown an INT in camp and Whaley refused to trade up for him.

Ow !@#$! Ow !@#$! Ow !@#$! My knee... I looked :lol:

I always wondered why we would ever make robots that looked like people. There is no reason for a cleaning robot to resemble a super-model.

Yeah there's a reason why they'd make a cleaning robot look like a super model. when she's done with the house cleaning, she can start polishing the knobs

I think a $15 minimum wage is a bit too high. It sounds like a good idea to have a liveable wage be the minimum. But increasing the cost of labor has a ton of unintended consequences. Automation and Globalization are the two drivers of economic stagnation in the western economies. By raising the cost of labor through a government mandate you are risking making it harder to start a small business and giving employers more of a reason to automate labor. I do support anyone looking through free market action looking to raise their wages. You can try, you might not win but I support your efforts.

I do think they should raise the minimum wage but $15 is way too high. Something more in line with 9-10$ (While adjusting it for inflation every 2 years so you don't have to have this stupid debate) makes more sense. They raise it every 8-10 years in general. It last got raised in 2007 so it's not unreasonable to have it be modestly higher. If you adjusted it for inflation it would be about 8.60 so going to 9.50 or 10 an hour that wouldn't be a huge increase in the cost of labor (ESP compared to what states have the minimum wage at which is generally higher) and it would be good for the economy in general to put more purchasing power to those who would be most likely to circulate the money back into the economy.

I am very interested in seeing how cities like Seattle and LA are going to do with their $15 minimum wages going up slowly over the next 5-6 years. What will the results be? It should be an interesting experiment, although I don't think it will have the results they think.

Might end up being cheaper to drive to Niagara Falls or Erie for a burger

And, then I'll get home and realize they totally screwed up my order and have to drive back!

I wonder what their batting averages are for getting an order right.

Got stuck behind a couple of 20-something kids paying with an EBT card for groceries. The cashier and couple couldn't figure out which of their items wasn't allowed. The guy had a diamond stud earring.

Turns out it was the organic bread.

I assume there was a point to this post.

GEE, WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING? Minimum-wage offensive could speed arrival of robot-powered restaurants.

Many chains are already at work looking for ingenious ways to take humans out of the picture, threatening workers in an industry that employs 2.4 million wait staffers, nearly 3 million cooks and food preparers and many of the nation’s 3.3 million cashiers. . . .

The avalanche of rising costs is why franchisers are aggressively looking for technology that can allow them to produce more food faster with higher quality and lower waste. Dave Brewer is chief operating officer with Middleby Corp., which owns dozens of kitchen equipment brands, and is constantly developing new ways to optimize performance and minimize cost.

Remember, the campaign to raise the minimum wage isn’t being pushed for the benefit of the working class. It’s being pushed for the benefit of the political class.