Has anyone talked about the blown coverage play?

Rubes

This. The bigger question is why they weren't in cover 4 or a Prevent knowing Vick's arm strength and the whole world knowing he was going to chuck it deep.

That was the reason for the timeout that saved the Jets from the delay of game penalty. The Bills D then came out with 3 man rush and the rest of the team 20 yards from the LOS.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a big question. It's hard to criticize the Defense at all after last night, of course, but this play could have been a huge shift if the Jets didnt #$%@ it up.

Agreed, that certainly crossed my mind. Tough to criticize anything after that defensive performance. But you're right, that could and probably would have been a huge turning point.

Definite screw-up by one of the two.

But as I mentioned in another thread, the Jets shouldn't have even had a drive at the end of the half if we had managed the clock better on the previous drive. Marrone mismanaged the timeouts. Again. Rinse and repeat.

Happens, miscommunication on the play call, or someone forgot an assignment. It was clear that Gilmore was passing the guy off. Who knows if Gilmore was supposed to, or if he did the right thing and AW wasn't in the right spot, or maybe AW was responding to something else, who knows. Blown defensive plays happen every game, that's how offenses get big gains from time to time.

Maybe it wasn't "help."

Maybe AW was supposed to pick him up in a deeper zone. That would mean Gilmore played it right by staying home but AW blew it.

I don't, of course, know if that was the case. And neither do you.

They were clearly playing Zone D the way Gilmore was backpeddling... it was not man to man and all i can remember was seeing AW VERY late in trying to come over but the ball was already thrown and Decker could have walked into end zone.

IMO, that was the play of the game.. We mismanaged the clock right before that and should have used more clock ensuring our drive was last of half and if not for Vick overthrowing him, that would have changed the entire landscape of game.

These plays quickly get forgotten when we win by such huge margin, but the game was far from over at that point and our clock managing still baffles me at end of halves.

It was cover two. A. Williams was supposed to drop to cover him and he didn't. Not sure what the debate is about other than a chance to bash Gilmore

Yeah, people who know nothing about football want to bash Gilmore and didn't realize he is in a zone. I love Williams but he gets too aggressive at times and gets out of position.

Gilmore would get a very good deal the second he hits the market. He's not flashy and gets the team's #1 wr. The NFL makes it impossible to be a shut down corner now. Gilmore is a good cb.

I don't recall reading or hearing anything today from the team about the blown coverage play when Decker got free behind everyone at the end of the half. I was dumbfounded that this defense would allow something so blatant with seconds remaining in the half (until, of course, I realized that we always screw up at the end of the half).

Just wondering if anyone mentioned that it was a specific blown coverage or what. Looked to me like Aaron was playing too close, rather than way back, but it's hard to tell.

They didn't do it on purpose...It was a mistake that could have been big but turns out nothing....move on

Gilmore just stopped. Can't do that even if you think you have safety help (he really didn't). Decker burned him again later.

This is simply incorrect. I don't know what defense was called so I won't comment specifically, but a CB indeed HAS to defer to deeper coverage when he has specific zone responsibilities underneath. EVERY time. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, people who know nothing about football want to bash Gilmore and didn't realize he is in a zone. I love Williams but he gets too aggressive at times and gets out of position.

Gilmore would get a very good deal the second he hits the market. He's not flashy and gets the team's #1 wr. The NFL makes it impossible to be a shut down corner now. Gilmore is a good cb.

I'm far from an NFL scout but my eyes tell me the same thing. He's had some mental lapses but he's been very solid overall.

This is simply incorrect. I don't know what defense was called so I won't comment specifically, but a CB indeed HAS to defer to deeper coverage when he has specific zone responsibilities underneath. EVERY time. Period.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

What zone resposibility did he have underneath? Go back and look at the rewind. He had to see AW was not there to help.

They blew the defensive call. 12 seconds left and no TOs you should not be in a Cover-2 with that field position.

After that call we had to call a TO to get into the correct prevent D for the final play. Luckily, we can afford these mistakes against Vick.

What zone resposibility did he have underneath? Go back and look at the rewind. He had to see AW was not there to help.

Don't know the defense called so I can't specify what his precise responsibilities were. I'd like to get a look at the all 22 because I don't care what was behind him; it's what's developing in front of him that will shed light. I will say that on the simple replay it looked like he may have been peeking into the backfield at Vick and it's possible he simply lost his guy based on being fooled by something he was anticipating.

But I'm not necessarily objecting to your opinion of Gilmore on that play. It's your assertion that a CB should NEVER stop on a play even if there is safety help. That kind of defeats the purpose of certain zone defenses.

GO BILLS!!!

No kidding.

Just teasin Doc !

still doesnt tell us who was in the wrong. Or were both of them.? Damnd Schwartz!

Just saying he was passing off Decker instead of getting burned. If he was running the wrong coverage, I don't know.