Official 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' thread

Just Jack

I saw this today with my son. I give it a solid "very good."

I think they overdid it, a tad, with both the love story and the corny humor. Those things were sprinkled into the classic Star Wars movies, but they were a little too heavy in this one.

But I really enjoyed the movie and I'm glad we went.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does it seem like evil is just really damn weak in this movie?

Darth Vader was so friggen dominating

yeah there were a few scenes where kylo seemed less of a Dark Lord of the Sith and more like a spoiled whiney teenager Edited by /dev/null

yeah there were a few scenes where kylo seemed less of a Dark Lord of the Sith and more like a spoiled whiney teenager

I sorta liked that. Set up his character arc for the next movies and he wasn't just Vader 2.0. To be fair, Vader wasn't anybody but a weirdo in a suit until Empire.

I sorta liked that. Set up his character arc for the next movies and he wasn't just Vader 2.0. To be fair, Vader wasn't anybody but a weirdo in a suit until Empire.

That was my take as well.

Ren and Rey are both in training now and should grow into much stronger characters.

I thought it was a great movie.........but it was still just a movie in an era where adults are used to watching epic mini-series where characters and stories unfold over 50-70 hours on tv........so in that regard it really was a lot more child-centric than the original 3.

Glad it was, my kids loved it.

To everyone complaining that Ren was a whiny kid... he was. He's not a sith, but an apprentice. His lightsaber being fuzzy was a hint that he didn't build it correctly. As far as the love story... I don't know what movie you're watching.

Yeah well so, Joffrey wan't a King but a Prince. He was still trying to step out of Robert's shadow and become his own man

How'd that work out?

And I the only "love story" I saw in was Han and Leia. And maybe a bit of a Bromance between Poe and Finn

That was my take as well.

Ren and Rey are both in training now and should grow into much stronger characters.

I thought it was a great movie.........but it was still just a movie in an era where adults are used to watching epic mini-series where characters and stories unfold over 50-70 hours on tv........so in that regard it really was a lot more child-centric than the original 3.

Glad it was, my kids loved it.

This movie fired up my kid for Star Wars that makes it a success

Saw it two nights ago with my GF, who has never seen any Star Wars movies. Now she wants to see the originals. Gave her all my DVDs and told her to watch the original trilogy first, then if she wants to see more of the back story, watch the prequels. If she comes back from all six, saying how much she loves Jar Jar, I'm dumping her. (Jar Jar was my ex-wife's favorite character)

IDK when Lucas took the 4+ Billion for the franchise which I am sure is spending quite nicely for him. And even though his name is on the credits in some form. And Disney did a ok job. With all the other ones supposedly coming. Myself, and all the kids aside ( main target) it is really missing the force with that being George Lucas's genius. Nice Money grab though. Americans love to slurp up the past even if it's below par.

The first three were creative, fresh, and groundbreaking. Now well yea the special efx are cool. The story?

A report on the tube said this: When a company says unless the film and TOY sales don't do 1.5 billion in the first week. execs will be nervous. Kind of blurs the lines bigtime between cinematic art and corporate financial goals. Those goals are the sole reason the franchise exists yet.

IDK when Lucas took the 4+ Billion for the franchise which I am sure is spending quite nicely for him. And even though his name is on the credits in some form. And Disney did a ok job. With all the other ones supposedly coming. Myself, and all the kids aside ( main target) it is really missing the force with that being George Lucas's genius. Nice Money grab though. Americans love to slurp up the past even if it's below par.

The first three were creative, fresh, and groundbreaking. Now well yea the special efx are cool. The story?

A report on the tube said this: When a company says unless the film and TOY sales don't do 1.5 billion in the first week. execs will be nervous. Kind of blurs the lines bigtime between cinematic art and corporate financial goals. Those goals are the sole reason the franchise exists yet.

GL's genius appeared to be a myth, judging from the prequels.

Yeah well so, Joffrey wan't a King but a Prince. He was still trying to step out of Robert's shadow and become his own man

How'd that work out?

And I the only "love story" I saw in was Han and Leia. And maybe a bit of a Bromance between Poe and Finn

I was referring to Gugny's criticism that the "love story" was overdone.

Peoples two biggest complaints for this movie seem to be that Ren wasn't as disciplined as Vadar and Maul, and that the story is too much like the originals (which is hilarious, since fans hate the prequels for straying too far- can't please anyone)

I would say that Abrams raised a lot of story questions that have to be addressed in VIII or fans will riot. (although, he loves leaving things unanswered- Lost, Star Trek)

Vader saw all of like 10 mins of screen time in A New Hope, you are exactly right that Empire made him as a character.

Sorry but this just is not true. Lucas pulled from a lot of sources like Flash Gordon serials from the 30's and the John Carter books. The whole idea of the rebels vs imperial forces is from Flash Gordon, so is Cloud City. The roll up text is from Flash Gordon, so are the screen wipes. Lucas admits all of this. As far as the franchises corporate and financial goals, Lucas realized all of this by the end of Empire hence the Ewoks in Jedi. Cute cuddly bear type creatures that kids would love.

The point is good story telling influences other stories. To me, this Star Wars was inspired by the first 3. That's not such a bad thing.