So how would you like having a Ford Field in downtown Buffalo?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

phoenix_580.jpg1328308629-09454-127.jpg

reliant08950.jpg1255535605-09720-072.jpg

I don't know. Retractable roofs look ugly to me, and are loads more expensive. I would prefer either one way or the other. If I had to make a choice, I would prefer the unobstructed views of the sky with Arizona's and Houston's retractable domes though.

That's a $300 million dollar sunroof. You're still indoors. Huge waste of money IMO. Make it a permanent roof.

most likely NOT until the current lease expires in orchard park.....2022.

I'd be willing to bet if TP builds a downtown stadium sooner the County would let them out early. The whole idea of the lease was to keep them in Erie County anyway.

No to arena football. Cold and snow used to be an advantage for us. We need to build a team to take advantage late in the season. Kelly was a PA kid who knew how play in the elements. I loved the cold weather games. I'm actually hating S. Florida for the weather!

I like the ideal of an open air stadium too, but I have begun to question this line of thinking.

Yes, cold and snow was an advantage when it was Kelly & Co. vs. the Dolphins, but those days are over. I don't think we have an advantage now and I'm not sure it makes sense to limit the options for building the team to 'cold weather' players. I think Buffalo is already at a disadvantage for attracting free agents and certain guys avoid teams that are more likely to play in bad weather.

I like the ideal of an open air stadium too, but I have begun to question this line of thinking.

Yes, cold and snow was an advantage when it was Kelly & Co. vs. the Dolphins, but those days are over. I don't think we have an advantage now and I'm not sure it makes sense to limit the options for building the team to 'cold weather' players. I think Buffalo is already at a disadvantage for attracting free agents and certain guys avoid teams that are more likely to play in bad weather.

I think it gives the kicker an advantage since they get to used to the unique conditions. That's no small point for the Bills.

I was anti-dome until yesterday. We were there yesterday and have changed my mind. A dome would put BFLO football on steroids... We sat on the Bills side @ the 50 yard line... The place was crazy, the team knew we were there. Yet, it has to be a retractable roof stadium.

Did anybody catch when Carpenter was making an extra point? He glanced up to the crowd on Bills side just before the kick... He knew we were there!

Now that being said... Not really sure how it would totally play out in BFLO... But it would do well IMO, last night was general admission, the place was crazy because of it! Crazy good... You had loud fans all over the place. Not sure how it would work with paying people though... Will you get whole quiet sections? Especially in the "money seats?"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I am just telling you what I have heard. I have heard that the next stadium will absolutely have a roof. It may very well retract but it will not be an open air stadium.

Wouldn't it be based on who is spending the money? I mean if TP really wants an open air stadium and he is paying to build it how is it that it would be a dome/retractable?

Not questioning your knowledge I just do not understand. Also, Retractable roofs seem to have issues closing when it is cold out(at Least the skydome) which make one wonder, what is the benefit to the Bills if it is going to be closed during the times of the year when it would give them any advantage?

Wouldn't it be based on who is spending the money? I mean if TP really wants an open air stadium and he is paying to build it how is it that it would be a dome/retractable?

Not questioning your knowledge I just do not understand. Also, Retractable roofs seem to have issues closing when it is cold out(at Least the skydome) which make one wonder, what is the benefit to the Bills if it is going to be closed during the times of the year when it would give them any advantage?

The determination on what the stadium will be modeled after will depend on who is paying for it. Lucas Oil seems to be the most talked about target.

The reasoning for the roof is it will broaden the clientele. The next stadium will be priced more in line with the rest of the league. There is a large segment of the fanbase that just won't attend in bad weather. As I understand it, this really hasn't even been debated. It is just being treated as a given that whatever they do next will have a roof.

The determination on what the stadium will be modeled after will depend on who is paying for it. Lucas Oil seems to be the most talked about target.

The reasoning for the roof is it will broaden the clientele. The next stadium will be priced more in line with the rest of the league. There is a large segment of the fanbase that just won't attend in bad weather. As I understand it, this really hasn't even been debated. It is just being treated as a given that whatever they do next will have a roof.

I've gone to Bills games since I was 9. I've been to bad weather games. I was at both sub-zero Raiders games. I was at the game where a Cardinals punt went up and was blown back for a safety. Been there. Done that. Give me a dome. Skip the sun roof.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I've gone to Bills games since I was 9. I've been to bad weather games. I was at both sub-zero Raiders games. I was at the game where a Cardinals punt went up and was blown back for a safety. Been there. Done that. Give me a dome. Skip the sun roof.

I attended those games as well. The Cardinals punt is one of the most underrated moments in Bills history.

I am with you on the roof. I don't think that it makes us any less "tough." It seems much more sensical and certainly appeals to a broader audience. Why wouldn't people want to be comfortable at the games?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I love bad weather as much as the next... My son and I would have been there... But not my wife and daughter. They like bad weather too... Heck, we drove into West Seneca early Friday, we had to snowshoe into my father's house. Still those two wouldn't have sat through a game in Detroit if it was outside. We left WNY Monday for Motown and it was 66 degrees ahead of the front... In DET it was 30 or so, would have made for a cold night!

Now times that by many. BFLO fans in a dome is electric. Almost stood the whole game. It made a difference! When the Jets @ the start almost sapped the energy out of the fans, the dome kept them warm and stopped them from fading into the cold night!

Games ebb and flow... Trust me, a dome will help! And it did! We have never seen a "home game" in a dome... This was as close as it comes... And I was sold on the idea... BUT retractable roof for those warm, sunny autumn days!

EDIT: Toronto weren't "home games."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hope they take the best attributes from both Ford Field and Lucas Oil Stadium.

That would be perfect. Can we play the sucky Jets every week? It was fun to see some points scored and Vick running for his life in their shiney stadium.

I prefer retractable, but domed is better than open in my opinion. I getting too old for that crap.

I'm all for a dome as long as it's retractable and open for every game regardless of weather because football is meant to be played outdoors. They can close it for protection from the elements and NCAA Tournament.

I like Detroits stadium a lot better then the ones in Dallas and Indy. Arizonas is cool simply because the field moves outside

What does that mean - the field moves outside ?

For those of you saying open air, or no to an indoor stadium. I can tell you with out any hesitation, your going to get one. And not a retractable roof, but one very similar to Locus Oil Field.

Sorry to be the messenger, but it's already been decided.

To the bolded, this is incorrect. It does all but seal the deal on Super Bowls in Buffalo. I happen to know for a fact that will happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I think this is a complete lie. I am saying I don't believe you. I can find no credible source to confirm this, on or off the record. In fact, everyone who knows anything believes a SB might happen someday, but only if many other things fall into place. A covered stadium is simply one element of what needs to happen. If you have info to the contrary, help us out, point us to it. And the fact you suggest Super Bowls (plural) suggest you have information Buffalo will be tapped multiple times to host the big game. That sounds like a lot of inside info, that I can't imagine has been decided yet. So, yes, I think you are making this up.