How is the cleanup going?

Pete

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They brought a Snow Dragon in. I was a little surprised they had to get one from Pittsburgh, you'd think someone in Buffalo of all places would have one already. Huge snow melting device. Can melt 20 dumptruck loads an hour, one every 3 minutes. So basically as fast as you can load a dumptruck it can melt the snow. I'd guess the struggle will be working as fast as the machine can work to keep it running close to 100% efficiency I'd imagine they'd set that thing up outside and run the trucks to it rather than crank up 9 million BTUs on top of the plastic grass.

Apparently the one they brought in is a smaller one. They make one for airport applications that can do 6 times as much snow per hour and cranks out 54,000,000 BTU.

Terry, if you're reading this. There's a used 9M BTU one on Ebay right now for 210k. Seems worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Dragon-Used-Snow-Melter-SND900-Low-Hours-Outstanding-Condition-/151145435630

Where are they going to dump all the water from the Snow Dragon? Won't it contribute to flooding in the area?

I think the biggest issues re: flooding are going to be from clogged drains in the streets and this won't have that problem. Theoretically the answer to your question is yes though. This is what it looks like in action.

If all the snow melted all in one day that would be the equivalent of a 6" rainstorm. That's not good but it's not the end of the world. The issue it that during the process snow and ice will be covering and clogging an awful lot of the storm drains and the water will have nowhere to go except roads and basements. If it got into the drain it'd be OK for the most part.

I think the biggest issues re: flooding are going to be from clogged drains in the streets and this won't have that problem. Theoretically the answer to your question is yes though. This is what it looks like in action.

If all the snow melted all in one day that would be the equivalent of a 6" rainstorm. That's not good but it's not the end of the world. The issue it that during the process snow and ice will be covering and clogging an awful lot of the storm drains and the water will have nowhere to go except roads and basements. If it got into the drain it'd be OK for the most part.

Neat feature (I thought) was the filtration system where it catches a lot of the nastiness that get's mixed in with the snow when it's plowed and keeps it out of the drains. You see it at the tail end of the demo video.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

Pittsburgh's Snow Dragon headed to Buffalo to help after massive snowfall: http://www.wtae.com/...4#ixzz3JjNCJrlN

They brought a Snow Dragon in. I was a little surprised they had to get one from Pittsburgh, you'd think someone in Buffalo of all places would have one already. Huge snow melting device. Can melt 20 dumptruck loads an hour, one every 3 minutes. So basically as fast as you can load a dumptruck it can melt the snow. I'd guess the struggle will be working as fast as the machine can work to keep it running close to 100% efficiency I'd imagine they'd set that thing up outside and run the trucks to it rather than crank up 9 million BTUs on top of the plastic grass.

Apparently the one they brought in is a smaller one. They make one for airport applications that can do 6 times as much snow per hour and cranks out 54,000,000 BTU.

Terry, if you're reading this. There's a used 9M BTU one on Ebay right now for 210k. Seems worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/151145435630

Driving into work this morning from South Cheektowaga, it is an absolute mess, but the plows, payloaders and dump trucks are out in force. Seemed like they were on every side street.

Knock on wood things are OK in Orchard Park so far. The snowpack here is down by probably half and, surprisingly, I don't have any water in the basement. If we have temperatures as warm as forecast for this week I don't see how the stadium isn't ready for the Cleveland game.

I would agree in how many trucks have been mobilized from the rest of the state, and PA. With the above freezing temperatures today and tomorrow, a lot of snow should melt. It looks like the rest of the week is close to freezing so i would imagine by next Sunday, we should be fine for the Browns.

At the very worst, the NFL can always put it off for one day and do another MNF.

THE FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 415 PM EST MONDAY FOR ERIE...NORTHERN CHAUTAUQUA...WYOMING...SOUTHERN GENESEE AND NORTHWESTERN CATTARAUGUS COUNTIES...

TEMPERATURES HAVE STEADILY RISEN OVERNIGHT WITH MOST READINGS IN THE LOWER TO MID 40S THIS MORNING. TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO CLIMB TODAY REACHING AROUND 50 DEGREES THIS AFTERNOON...BEFORE REACHING NEAR 60 DEGREES ON MONDAY.

WHILE RAINFALL WILL GENERALLY BE A THIRD INCH OR LESS THROUGH TONIGHT...SNOWMELT IS WELL UNDERWAY AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY. IT IS THIS SNOWMELT THAT WILL ULTIMATELY CAUSE THE FLOODING CONCERNS...WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF SNOWMELT OCCURRING TONIGHT AND MONDAY.

CORE SAMPLES OF THE DEEP SNOWPACK AT THE START OF THE WEEKEND INDICATED THAT AS MUCH AS 5 TO 6 INCHES OF WATER WAS LOCKED IN PLACE...BUT AS TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO CLIMB...THIS WATER WILL BE RELEASED...AND IN SOME CASES FAIRLY RAPIDLY.

SINCE MANY STORM DRAINS ARE SNOW CLOGGED...MANY URBAN AREAS WILL LIKELY BE THE FIRST TO EXPERIENCE FLOODING WITH SEVERAL FEET OF WATER POSSIBLY ACCUMULATING ON SOME STRETCHES OF ROAD. RESIDENTIAL BASEMENTS WILL START TO FLOOD DURING THIS TIME AS WELL.

THE THREAT FOR STRUCTURAL FAILURE WILL INCREASE THROUGH MONDAY.

AREA TRIBUTARIES...PARTICULARLY BUFFALO CREEK...CAZENOVIA CREEK... CAYUGA CREEK AND ELLICOTT CREEK...WILL TAKE A BIT LONGER TO EXPERIENCE SIGNIFICANT RISES WITH THE POTENTIAL TO REACH AT LEAST MINOR FLOOD STAGE LATER TONIGHT AND MONDAY.

IN ADDITION...VERY STRONG WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT. THESE WINDS COULD BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES RESULTING IN SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. THIS WILL CAUSE SUMP PUMPS TO FAIL.

A FLOOD WARNING MEANS THAT FLOODING IS IMMINENT OR HAS BEEN REPORTED. STREAM RISES WILL BE SLOW AND FLASH FLOODING IS NOT EXPECTED. HOWEVER...ALL INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS IMMEDIATELY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE ELEVATED LEVELS ON SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS...AND PONDING OF WATER IN URBAN AREAS... HIGHWAYS...STREETS AND UNDERPASSES AS WELL AS OTHER POOR DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS SAFELY. MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND.

I don't see why we shouldn't be ready to rock and roll next Sunday. Seems like things are going smoothly so far....let's hope that continues.

What could be the possible reason that the Bills wouldn't be able to play in Ralph Wilson stadium next week?