Misconceptions about Terry Pegula

1B4IDie

As the owner of the Sabres, Pegula has improved both the facilities and operations of the orgaization. He remodeled the locker room and built the Harbor Center, both meant to attract and retain players and staff. He's grown the scouting staff, purchased the Amerks to re-establish them as the farm team, and brought in "hockey" people to run the operation, even if all hires didn't work out (LaFontaine, Patrick, Murray). He's also contributed to the culture of the team by honoring alumni. He's offered financial support to back the decisions made by the "hockey people." In a recent interview, Tim Murray has indicated that Pegula is willing to eat a contract if the Staff decides to send a veteren to the minors.

It's not too far off to believe that Pegula will follow a similar course with the Bills. He'll improve their operations by bringing in 'football' guys to make decisions and improve the scouting department. He'll improve the facilities to compete for top coaching talent and free agents, ultimately resulting in plans for a new stadium. He'll contribute to the Bills culture, honoring players from the past.

I look at it this way. Next year, Mike Babcock, one of the best coaches in the NHL, is going to be a free agent. If he wants to test the market, Pegula can show him first-rate facilities to attract talent, plus he can show him the Harbor Center, which will be hosting development camps, combines, NCAA games, and international competitions all through the year, right across the street from his office. He'll have access to the leagues largest scouting staff, and can shuttle players to his farm team on a couple hours notice. Oh, and Pegual can afford to pay his coach the top salary in the league. Think this might be attractive to Babcock, or any other top coaching prospect?

I think Pegula will try to recreate this with the Bills. He'll evolve the facilities, infrastructure, and operations to ensure that the Bills can compete with the rest of the league for top talent at management, coaching, and player levels.

Edited by Perry Turtle

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the owner of the Sabres, Pegula has improved both the facilities and operations of the orgaization. He remodeled the locker room and built the Harbor Center, both meant to attract and retain players and staff. He's grown the scouting staff, purchased the Amerks to re-establish them as the farm team, and brought in "hockey" people to run the operation, even if all hires didn't work out (LaFontaine, Patrick, Murray). He's also contributed to the culture of the team by honoring alumni. He's offered financial support to back the decisions made by the "hockey people." In a recent interview, Tim Murray has indicated that Pegula is willing to eat a contract if the Staff decides to send a veteren to the minors.

It's not too far off to believe that Pegula will follow a similar course with the Bills. He'll improve their operations by bringing in 'football' guys to make decisions and improve the scouting department. He'll improve the facilities to compete for top coaching talent and free agents, ultimately resulting in plans for a new stadium. He'll contribute to the Bills culture, honoring players from the past.

I look at it this way. Next year, Mike Babcock, one of the best coaches in the NHL, is going to be a free agent. If he wants to test the market, Pegula can show him first-rate facilities to attract talent, plus he can show him the Harbor Center, which will be hosting development camps, combines, NCAA games, and international competitions all through the year, right across the street from his office. He'll have access to the leagues largest scouting staff, and can shuttle players to his farm team on a couple hours notice. Oh, and Pegual can afford to pay his coach the top salary in the league. Think this might be attractive to Babcock, or any other top coaching prospect?

I think Pegula will try to recreate this with the Bills. He'll evolve the facilities, infrastructure, and operations to ensure that the Bills can compete with the rest of the league for top talent at management, coaching, and player levels.

I agree that the 2020 plan is going to be Awesome for the Bills with a likely world class downtown stadium.

The off the field stuff for the Bills looks great.

I just don't see any concrete plans and I'm not as optimistic about a short term turn around with on the field performance because there is nothing to indicate there will be any on the field improvements.

Just win baby.

I agree that the 2020 plan is going to be Awesome for the Bills with a likely world class downtown stadium.

The off the field stuff for the Bills looks great.

I just don't see any concrete plans and I'm not as optimistic about a short term turn around with on the field performance because there is nothing to indicate there will be any on the field improvements.

Just win baby.

Okay, honestly, what do you want to see, right now, that will indicate this to your satisfaction?

The future definitely looks bright as far as the off-field developments are concerned. Pegula seems genuinely committed to the area and the plans for the off-field side of the team are pretty exciting.

On the field, I think the team is one quality player away from being a playoff contender. But the player in question is also the hardest position to fill, and that's at quarterback.

With rare exceptions, the best teams in the league are set at quarterback. Unfortunately the Bills are not. EJ seems to be a bust at this point and Orton was sitting on the couch. I guess I can respect the coaching staff for going all in with their convictions about EJ, but they were wrong.

The last time the Bills were relevant is when they were set at quarterback. Since then they have been inconsistent at best.

I think that the quarterback position, especially in this era, is the one thing that a team has to nail down.

It's sad that the Bills haven't done that, but I expect that if the team continues to lose, there will be a lot of changes at the end of the year. Pegula may be a "hands-off" kind of guy, but he just spent an estimated billion dollars. I don't think he's going to have a lot patience.

Okay, honestly, what do you want to see, right now, that will indicate this to your satisfaction?

The "football men" he might hire are all unemployed now so how about a nice dinner at Tempo?

Like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now I'm going to assume he will follow the DR path and give Brandon/Whaley/Marrone enough rope to hang themselves before he makes any moves.

I now know this is an extremely unpopular opinion that evokes blind rage in some fans.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Bills should have fired Marrone and hired Bill Cowher by now, dumped Spiller for a first, traded for Luck and flipped EJ for the first traded to Cleveland.

Since Pegula took over...

• Marrone fielded a pathetic team at home against the Patriots, where a win puts you in front of the division
  • He barely beat the Vikings that took a 4th and 20 miracle
  • He failed miserably TWICE in back-to-back games to comparable AFC teams and
  • In a short time took his team from playoff contention, to 4th worst in the conference.

He didn't order a pizza. He bought an NFL franchise. Marrone is as good as gone.

Since Pegula took over...

• Marrone fielded a pathetic team at home against the Patriots, where a win puts you in front of the division
  • He barely beat the Vikings that took a 4th and 20 miracle
  • He failed miserably TWICE in back-to-back games to comparable AFC teams and
  • In a short time took his team from playoff contention, to 4th worst in the conference.

He didn't order a pizza. He bought an NFL franchise. Marrone is as good as gone.

Are you simple? He literally just bought a 1.4 billion dollar business so I for one will allow for a grace period before making any major decisions. I don't doubt that Doug is on his way out but to act like he should have already fired him is pretty awful.

Some knee jerk reaction to do something for the sake of doing something would concern me far more than what we've seen. There is nothing that can be done today to fix this situation immediately. Until they prove otherwise, I'll trust them to take the right path.

The "football men" he might hire are all unemployed now so how about a nice dinner at Tempo?

Right now I'm going to assume he will follow the DR path and give Brandon/Whaley/Marrone enough rope to hang themselves before he makes any moves.

I now know this is an extremely unpopular opinion that evokes blind rage in some fans.

The Sabres made the playoffs the season Pegula bought them. They took the Flyers to seven games. Pegula had to make the decision to blow up a playoff team or to try to add resources to improve it. Maybe if the Sabres missed the playoffs, Pegula's choice would have been different.

I doubt that he would make many changes if the Bills lost in the first round of the playoffs, he'd work to address the key issues on the team. However, if the Bills miss the playoffs, he has shown that he is willing to change to plan B, and will make the necessary changes to execute the plan.

Isn't that sort of what he's doing right now?

Honest disclaimer: This is arguably the worst analogy I've ever seen.

It is but it is also pretty crazy what the OP is expecting (although honestly he may not realize it)

Look this what we should want from a new owner

- Hire the BEST AVAILABLE coaches, talent evaluators, and training staff

- Make sure FOOTBALL people are making the decisions and not having to answer to bean counters

- Make sure those people have the best available tools....whatever that may be

- Make sure that money is not an issue when it comes to getting talent right up to the salary cap.....none of this cash to crap stuff

- Then......get the hell out of the way

If you want Pegula to be effective....this is what you want

Terry Pegula's ownership did not help the Sabres on ice product.

Why do people keep posting like he is going to do something to fix the Bills on field product?

He is a hands off kinda guy.

He is a business man that is going to help develop the City of Buffalo around the Bills.

He is not a football guy. He is not a hatchet man.

Get used to seeing Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley for a long time.

Terry is a savior to keep the team on Buffalo.

There is no reason to believe Terry and Kim Pegula are 1.) Going to make massive changes to the Bills Front Office 2.) Would even know what to do in order to improve the Bills on the field performance.

If we wanted to Frack Orchard Park, Terry is your man. If you want a winning football team well you better hope Terry and Kim 1.) Actually care about winning (Sabres point to no) 2.) Are interested in finding a "football guy" that can help them (all signs point to status quo.)

Terry Pegula is not some kind of Jerry Jones with more football acumen. You likely won't be hearing much or seeing the Pegulas do much in the football operations.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atleast the Bills are in Buffalo.

Yes, most owners are ex GM's, Coaches, Athletic Directors, or Heads of Scouting with massive amounts of experience in pro or major college football prior to ownership.

Yes, most owners are ex GM's, Coaches, Athletic Directors, or Heads of Scouting with massive amounts of experience in pro or major college football prior to ownership.

That is news to me.

I thought most were successful business men out of football.