Nice coaching, awesome job

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Schwartz did a great job most of the game, the failure to bring the house on a couple of the 3rd downs really bit us in the butt. The 3rd and 17 play to name one. This was mystifying IMO. As for Marrone, Mike Schopp made a good point on the post game show about Marrone being tentative on the 4th downs. Marrone appears to not really know the odds on going for it. He doesn't make sense on some of his decisions. Is there no analytics/ stats guy on the coaching staff that Marrone and Hacket can turn in game to? Shouldn't they know this stuff or maybe Hackett should know at least?

wow guys shut off WGR- Brown holds on we win the game that's not Marrone, that's not punting, that's not anything more than our running back with a bad fumble that killed us. How do the Jets beat the Steelers today ? Fire Tomlin !! pathetic people

Yup

WGR (shopp) now claiming as FACT the coach should have gone for it on FOUR of the 4th downs!!!!! My god they really need to get a more football oriented (Sal) guy doing the initial postgame instead of just the wrap up. It's amazing. He really really thinks he's right..

Do folks not realize this was deja vu?

Last year, KC in town, we're about to go up 17-3 and Tuel throws a 101-yard INT.

This year, KC in town, we're about to go up 17-3 and Brown fumbles through the end zone.

Do folks really think it's a horribly unlucky coincidence that every year we have a bunch of error-prone boneheads on this team?

It's not a coincidence. The Patriots' role players don't make those kinds of mistakes, because they're prepared for situational football.

Doug Marrone is a loser, and a joke, and it's time to canonize him.

Haven't read the entire thread and apologize if this thought has been posted previously... If Leodis played for the Patsies he would be on the waiver wire tomorrow.

I don't know what's going on. I haven't been a Hackett fan, but somewhere inside I was hoping fixing the OL would help down the road and he would be good enough. The OL was good today. Between the 20's the offense is solid. Some head scratching calls, but all in all an ok game called.

I guess I am wondering, where is the problem. The biggest flaw on this team is the O in general not just the OL. Run game worked today. Should have helped the passing game. WR corps is pretty good. Orton is making plays. I am just at a loss as to what the upgrade is to fix the problem.

I was thinking after the game today, throwing out stats and stuff like yards per game or points. This D has to be the best in the NFL when you consider that total lack of output/help they get on the other side of the ball. A top 15 offense makes this defense look out of this world. That's not asking much, just be average or slightly better than average on offense.

Only 13 points on offense did the trick.

The run game was averaging 5.0 YPC, and only 22 rushes vs 48 passes, and on a good note the line only allowed one sack. But you still need to score points to win games. The guy the Bills gave up two first rounders for had an off day, 10 targets for 3 catches 27 yards. The offense looked effective between the twenties all game, and a deer in headlights in the red zone other then that first drive.

Orton played with no turnovers, and so did Alex Smith who was sacked 6 times. Stupid penalties at the most inopportune times. Plus the turnovers

On 4th and goal from the KC 14 with 2:31 min left in the game ya gotta kick a FG, and its a one point game. Carpenter has hit 58 yarders this season. The Bills did get the ball back.

1st and goal at the 2 yard line, we run Brown up the middle for no gain. Dixon should have got the ball 3 more times there if he didn't score on 2nd or 3rd down. 4 points lost there, we lost by 4. That series at the KC 15 could have ran the clock down, burning KC's timeouts and we kick the go ahead FG. Not hearing the fumbles lost us the game.

Fumbles were big, but they happened with plenty of time left on the clock. Other opportunities were squandered by mind numbing play calling in the red zone with 3 minutes to go. So that becomes where the game was lost... Win the game and everyone is laughing off the fumbles. But it's easy for coaches to excuse themselves and say " yup, can't turn it over against a good team" . It brushes off their failures. Their red zone woes have been all year ( where play design really is paramount) and why are we throwing fades to Hogan ( who presents no matchup problem on a fade route) with the game on the line? Seems tailor made for Mike Williams, especially with a hobbled Watkins out there.

Agree.

The only coaching issue is you can argue with are the two 4th downs. I would have kicked that FG on 4th and 10.

You do realize that KC made a first down after they took over on downs, right? So I guess the thinking is that if we'd kicked the field goal all of a sudden Alex Smith wouldn't have completed that pass, they would have gone 3 and out, and Orton would have led us back down into FG range again? In retrospect going for it on 4th was proven to be the right call.

Players are going to make mistakes. Yes, we could have been up big, but we still had a chance to win. If you have the ball on the 15 with 4 minutes left to go and down by 4. You have to score there. Regardless of what happened before in the game.

The playcalling there and execution was terrible. No attempt at a first down. Almost all prayer throws. Just a joke of playcalls.

Tell me what the other 4 eligible receivers were doing, and what their cover status was, on each of those throws.

Marrone continues to be ultra conservative and our offense continues to struggle at putting up points. Same crap different toilet.

Nothing ultraconservative about that final failed drive. I'd call it stupidly aggressive. But I think most of that was Orton. He had other receivers open (Woods was wide open on the 10 over the middle on the throw to double-covered Hogan in the end zone), but he kept taking shots into the end zone. If he'd run the ball on 1st down instead of almost throwing a pick on a throw to Sammy we would all be saying how predictable our offense is. This was purely an execution problem, not just on the throws themselves, but also on the overconfidence of Orton in trying to force throws into coverage when he had plenty of time and the chance to get a first down at the 5.

2nd and 2 at the three yard line and Hack runs two poorly designed / executed pass plays when the run game was well established while the passing game was weak all day. Pure stupidity

throwing 48 times when yor defense is dominating, the pass protection is shaky at best and your best wr is at half speed. Just plain stupid

Hackett has no idea how to win. Marrone stands there very clueless

4th and 10, down 4, 3 time outs, dominant defense you kick the FG. Stupid coach. Just stupid at least the fans that took buf and the 1.5 points don't get screwed

Maybe complete a pass.

Maybe sense that your QB is having an off-day and call something different one of the four times? This happens all the time with RBs -- they aren't seeing the field well that day, or are fumbling, so their numbers aren't called as frequently. Maybe hoping that Orton was going to hit one against the league's premier pass defense wasn't the best idea.

Look, you'll find no argument from me that there were myriad opportunities for the players to win this game. Bryce Brown in particular. I'm just terrifically disappointed that this team can't minimize mistakes. Individuals make those mistakes, of course, but good coaches also have a habit of reducing the frequency of them -- whether through personnel decisions, play calls, or what-have-you.

It is a shame -- and I've said this often -- that McKelvin has multi-million-dollar natural gifts and a ten-cent head. He often keeps us in the game but costs us big time on more than a few occasions. I don't even know what a coach can do to get through to a player like this. I think you roll with him until you decide you've found someone more dependable.

Bryce Brown has always had a known case of fumblitis, but I can buy that he was the best they had for his role, today. I still think Dixon was under-used.

You do realize that KC made a first down after they took over on downs, right? So I guess the thinking is that if we'd kicked the field goal all of a sudden Alex Smith wouldn't have completed that pass, they would have gone 3 and out, and Orton would have led us back down into FG range again? In retrospect going for it on 4th was proven to be the right call.

100 percent correct. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

You don't go for it on 4th and an inch but go for it on 4th and 10 with all timeouts and this defense? Kick the Field goal and then all you needed was FG range. I hate this team.

^THIS..... right... f%$ing... here...

The truth about this teams offensive direction came down to this one play... For me, it was the flea-flicker in Cleveland last year... Both blown plays, that were actually CRIES FOR HELP.

Somebody, somewhere, please put Nate Hackett out of his misery... Some obscure college in Canada desperately needs an OC with Hackett's skill set. The guy is a bunch of fake bravado with no plan, and absolutely no method to his madness.

I'm done with Marrackett. Brring on the Schwartz!

Facing the best passing defense in the league who is also one of the worst rush defenses in the league.

1st and 10 on their 12 yard line: Pass 4 times for zero yards.

1st and 10 on their 4 yard line: pass 3 times for zero yards.

Nate Hackett is the worst redzone offensive coordinator in the league.

It's like Nate Hackett believes only passing TDs count.