20 Most interesting advanced stats from Bills 1st half

YoloinOhio

Weren't the Orton bashers/EJ supporters/wingnuts bringing up stats just last week that indicated that Orton wasn't throwing the ball downfield any more often or more effectively than Manuel? I even conceded in a thread that the numbers surprised me. These numbers seem to contradict those a bit. Not sure what to believe. Going back to the eye test: Orton throws the ball downfield more often and much more effectively.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I think percentage of downfield attempts is about the same and that was the stat in the other thread. Kyle has attempted more but then he has attempted more passes. The completion stats show a marked difference in their effectiveness downfield though.

Orton is just more confident in making those throws. The good news is, regardless of who's at QB, the throws are there to be made. It's not like Manuel didn't see them either. When you look at the All-22, especially the Houston game, there were several plays where he had a guy open deep and looked right at him before dumping off. Not coincidentally, those were plays where he was made uncomfortable in the pocket and he was in too much of a hurry NOT to make a negative play.

Gotta love that our WRs are getting open consistently. But I'm not surprised because Hackett's passing schemes usually have at least 2 receivers running open in the intermediate ranges. That's gonna get better when Goodwin gets back and starts contributing.

GO BILLS!!!

I think percentage of downfield attempts is about the same and that was the stat in the other thread. Kyle has attempted more but then he has attempted more passes. The completion stats show a marked difference in their effectiveness downfield though.

Maybe the stat was % of passes attempted to WR's vs. RB's/TE's, which may have been misleading because a lot of EJ's attempts to WR's were from close range- not to mention, incomplete. Oh well. What is the deal with this Buffalo Pizza Logs commercial on WGR? So bizarre.

Maybe the stat was % of passes attempted to WR's vs. RB's/TE's, which may have been misleading because a lot of EJ's attempts to WR's were from close range- not to mention, incomplete. Oh well. What is the deal with this Buffalo Pizza Logs commercial on WGR? So bizarre.

"put down the burger, put down the dogs!" Edited by YoloinOhio

Orton is just more confident in making those throws. The good news is, regardless of who's at QB, the throws are there to be made. It's not like Manuel didn't see them either. When you look at the All-22, especially the Houston game, there were several plays where he had a guy open deep and looked right at him before dumping off. Not coincidentally, those were plays where he was made uncomfortable in the pocket and he was in too much of a hurry NOT to make a negative play.

Gotta love that our WRs are getting open consistently. But I'm not surprised because Hackett's passing schemes usually have at least 2 receivers running open in the intermediate ranges. That's gonna get better when Goodwin gets back and starts contributing.

GO BILLS!!!

Does not compute. I'm pretty sure it has been established here that Hackett sucks and should be canned.

Bills zero in on the Red Zone blues [1:59 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'Operating inside the 20-yard line, on both offense and defense, has been a problem area for the Bills. Offensively, they have a touchdown percentage of 46.7 that ranks last in the AFC and 29th overall in the NFL. On 30 trips inside the 20-yard line, the Bills have come away with only 14 touchdowns.'

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Bills zero in on the Red Zone blues [1:59 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'Operating inside the 20-yard line, on both offense and defense, has been a problem area for the Bills. Offensively, they have a touchdown percentage of 46.7 that ranks last in the AFC and 29th overall in the NFL. On 30 trips inside the 20-yard line, the Bills have come away with only 14 touchdowns.'

while not a good stat, it encompasses all 8 games for this offense. The offense is different now than it was the first qtr of the season due to the QB change.

I like that the article highlighted how good Colton Schmidt has been. He's not rated highly in net punting average, but what he's done has been excellent.

Interesting stats but they don't provide the full picture. Gilmore is getting passed on a lot, ok. How many deflections has he had? INT's? How many of those passes were completed, even?

It's odd that this is considered a lot, given that the article has him being targeted 32 times in 7 games (I had him at 29 in my charting)...that's only 4.5 times per game.