What about Eric Wood to guard?

Webster Guy

He's not having a very good season. He's played guard before, wondering if they've considered shaking up the line and moving Eric to the LG spot.

We don't have anything to lose, this line can't get much worse. Wait, that's a stupid thing to say. Unpost....unpost....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not having a very good season. He's played guard before, wondering if they've considered shaking up the line and moving Eric to the LG spot.

We don't have anything to lose, this line can't get much worse. Wait, that's a stupid thing to say. Unpost....unpost....

No, Urbick is fine at LG, Woods looks bad because the scrubs next to him are scrubs. Also he need to work more in the weight room, looking pretty soft in those commercials, time to hulk up Q-tip .

We have a couple interesting guys on the practice squad - William Campbell has pretty good athletic numbers but is a converted DT so pretty raw and D.J. Morrell is a big strong country boy type but not very athletic - In my mind there needs to be an end of the Pears experiment, Hairston, Richardson, Kouandjio, Campbell, Morrell should all be looked at for RG

No, Urbick is fine at LG, Woods looks bad because the scrubs next to him are scrubs. Also he need to work more in the weight room, looking pretty soft in those commercials, time to hulk up Q-tip .

Precisely!

Pears at RG is still a disaster, and Urbik is only a band-aid again. Why the Bills haven't tried to obtain better talent is beyond me. I hope Orton survives this craptastic, worst in the NFL O line.

Precisely!

Pears at RG is still a disaster, and Urbik is only a band-aid again. Why the Bills haven't tried to obtain better talent is beyond me. I hope Orton survives this craptastic, worst in the NFL O line.

Well, this is not totally true, they did try and they thought they had. Consider these things . . .

1. First, they have the presupposition or assumption that its easy to make a tackle a guard. That has proven to not be the case.

2. With this in mind, they drafted two tackles in the last draft, and for good measure, a former All-American guard.

3. Moreover, the coaching staff (Marrone) declared that they like the young guy back-ups, mostly free agent signings and/or practice squad raids, they had coming back from last year. The implication was, at least one of them was ready to compete for a starting job.

4. And, Chris Hairston, whom had been a starter at two tackle positions, was also returning.

5. So, if you are viewing it all through the misguided perspective of the bad assumption stated in first point, then indeed, we have the talent, its just a matter of figuring out who goes where. Right?

So, all that leads to three conclusions:

1. The young "talent" that was leftover from last season, really wasn't that talented.

2. It must not be that easy to move tackles to the guard position. Consider three pieces of evidence: 1) how bad Pears has been, 2) but neither Kojo, Hairston, or 3) anyone eles has been able to replace him.

3. Or. maybe it is easy, but the before mentioned players / tackles (and leftovers) just aren't that good, whether playing tackle or guard; in which case, now we have a "personnel evaluation" problem.

4. Or, maybe our line coaching, including the head coach whose area of expertise is line coaching, is just not very good.

My conclusion, all of the above (1, 2, 3, & 4).

Have we tried? Yes!

But, when you start with bad assumptions in your experimentations, you usually never recover from that. Or, to quote a well placed NFL coach whom we are all familiar with: "don't confuse effort with results, obviously."

Edited by CSBill

Wood was average last season and has been below average this season. I originally put it down to the fact that he is not helped by the talent either side of him but the more I watch his individual play the more I see him struggle. He is getting almost no push in the run game at all and is being consistently flattened by defensive tackles allowing them to get contact on our runners at or even before the line of scrimmage. The pass protection he is fairing a little better but he is part of a line that as whole is struggling with that.

You build a team from the line out. The Bills have gone with skill position players first. Don't get me wrong, I love our skill position players (ok, maybe not EJ so much or the waste of a choice in TJ), but a good O-Line can make skill positions better. When we have gone for O-Line help, we have not done a good job. What is with Kouandjio - can't even get activated for a game.

It was the scheme and Coach Joe D, his line is doing great in SD.

His line is actually not very good at all in SD. They get zero push in the running game, and survive in the passing game because Rivers has a lightning-quick release and makes that offense work.

SD is tied for dead last in the NFL in yards/carry, and next-to-last in Adjusted Line Yards:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2014&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_AVERAGE_YARDS

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

All that said, the biggest difference in Wood's game is that he's had to help out the OGs much more this year. As far as the Jets game goes, well, he struggled with NT Wilkerson/Harrison/Richardson last year too; those guys are really, really good.

I won't worry about Wood until there are competent OGs on both sides of him. I do think, however, that it would make a ton of sense to draft a backup C in the middle rounds this year. Find a guy like Russell Bodine (Bengals) in the 4th who can play C or G and make him your backup interior OLmen on game days.

Wood faced off against three of the league's truly elite interior D-linemen in the past 4 weeks: Suh (who is unbelievable this year), Richardson (also unbelievable this year despite the team he plays on) and Wilfork (still very good). Before that, he had to occasionally face off against JJ Watt and prepare for him every play. He's not playing well right now, but some of that is simply the competition. He looked fine against Chicago and San Diego.

Really?

So the Bills have had poor G play, and all of the sudden I'm seeing these posts saying that Woods and Glenn suck. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked people can't tell the positions apart. Lets not worry about Richardson and Pears, let's move Glenn and and Woods!

If the G's are consistently getting blown up, the guys next to them will have harder jobs and look worse by proximity. Woods and Glenn have been the only consistent guys on the line.

Also, Urbik was near flawless in the Jets game. Woods got blown up on one running play, by one of the best dlineman in the league. CUT HIM!!!!

Edited by Turbosrrgood