Toxic Differential - Bills #1

RichVP

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stuff!! It's interesting that the explosive plays are so high with Spiller having been neutralized for most of the year. I have always been a believer that you need guys that can score from anywhere on the field. Last week was a great example of that as the Bills hit some big plays but couldn't sustain drives.

Was just going to post this!

Interesting analysis. We definitely get a bump thanks to that Jets game, but even without it we'd be in the top 5. The +20 is a fairly healthy lead on teams 3-32.

Nice stuff!! It's interesting that the explosive plays are so high with Spiller having been neutralized for most of the year. I have always been a believer that you need guys that can score from anywhere on the field. Last week was a great example of that as the Bills hit some big plays but couldn't sustain drives.

I agree. Thanks, Sammy! I like the phrase "toxic differential," as I think turnovers and explosive plays carry the biggest momentum swings.

I have a similar belief, but mine is you need guys that can score from anywhere on the field if and only if your offense cannot sustain drives.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The one thing to keep in mind is not every team has played 8 games as the bills have.

Our current pace is very much boosted by our games against Miami and the Jets as well as our propensity to avoid big plays on the Defense. It took 8 weeks for a rushing touchdown to be scored on us and somewhere around 5 weeks before a run of 20 or more was done against us.

The differential may not be as high in the second half of the season but I don't see our defense letting it fall to much lower than the pace it currently is.

Damn, I thought this was going to be a boozehound Orton thread.

Nice find though. Like any good and great stat, it needs to be put into perspective, will have some outliers, but also adds greatly to discussion with new information.

Such as a +8 for Buffalo last Sunday. Even reducing that by half, however, the Bills would still be in 2nd place overall. There's no question they are doing a very good job in the turnover and big play battle.

Not really sold on this metric, personally, but at the very least it's interesting to look at. As we saw a couple years ago, the type of extreme turnover differential we've been experiencing isn't really sustainable, generally speaking.

Love TBD, only here can a Super Bowl winning coach say "You'd be hard-pressed to find any controllable statistical combination that has quite the same rate of predictive success." and the retort is "Not really sold on this". :D

I found the beginning of paragraph pretty amazing:

"It has long been a proven adage that if you have a plus-2 turnover advantage on your opponent, you will win the game 80 percent of the time. If you have a plus-2 explosive-play advantage, it equally leads to winning about 80 percent of the time. If you have both of those, you win close to 95 percent of the time."

I'll now watch every game for our plus 2 turnovers and plus two plays of 20+ yards and will shut the TV off then...

Love TBD, only here can a Super Bowl winning coach say "You'd be hard-pressed to find any controllable statistical combination that has quite the same rate of predictive success." and the retort is "Not really sold on this". :D

I found the beginning of paragraph pretty amazing:

"It has long been a proven adage that if you have a plus-2 turnover advantage on your opponent, you will win the game 80 percent of the time. If you have a plus-2 explosive-play advantage, it equally leads to winning about 80 percent of the time. If you have both of those, you win close to 95 percent of the time."

I'll now watch every game for our plus 2 turnovers and plus two plays of 20+ yards and will shut the TV off then...

Weren't the Vikes up +2 turnovers and 2 plays over 20 yards when we beat them?

Have you seen the "creepy Rob Lowe" direct TV one yet?

The painfully awkward Rob Lowe is pretty bad as well. "I hope it's not a girl... Or a guy."

Anyway. As with all statistics and analysis that tries to turn a game into a series of numbers you can make things say what you want them to say or poke holes into it to prove a point.

But the goal and use of many of these stats is to get as close to, as Brian Billick says, predictive success. This is not an end all be all stat and may not dictate how well we do the rest of the year but is certainly a nice piece to the puzzle to look at and take it for what it is. Which is the Bills being #1 in something.