Sammy Whatkins!!

2nd time he turned and could see the guy far behind him. First one he just thought he was alone. Rookie mistake, he won't do it again. I'm fine with it.

I think the point is that there is ZERO reason to slow down before you get to the endzone. Zero. Ever. No matter what. There is NOTHING whatsoever good about that. He did it the first time, and he is not a showboat, and it burned him bad. Luckily we scored on that drive. Then he did it again.

I love Watkins. Already probably my favorite player on the team. I loved the trade when it happened. I think he is a great guy, too. But the first one was very stupid, and the second one was very stupid.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He strikes me as someone who only has to learn a lesson once.

Agreed, he was looking back after the long TD later to find anyone trailing him. Unfortunately, that will get you caught too. Just run. Fast. (But don't pull anything as we need him!)

The difference between the first and the second one was that he had a clear TD on the second one. The defenders were clearly behind him and appeared to already be giving up.

True. But on the first one, that is what he thought, too. He seemed to look up to the Jumbotron, which a lot of players do, to see if there was anyone behind him. He saw a guy fall and he probably thought there was no one left so he let up. But it's STUPID. There is nothing nothing nothing good about that. if anything it is showboating. The second time, yes, he knew no one was behind him, and I kinda think he was making a joke about his first one because he knew for sure there was no one around. But again, he thought there wasn't anyone at all around the first time. And again, there is nothing nothing nothing good about not going full speed until the endzone.

The point is he celebrated before he got to the endzone thinking there was no one around him and he got burnt. Then he did it again. The second time just happened to not have anyone around him.

He didn't seem to me to be celebrating the second time. Just slowing down, like every single receiver in the league does when they're five yards from the end zone with no one within ten yards of him.

He strikes me as someone who only has to learn a lesson once.

^

This.

Every time he's been alone like that in his football life, he was never caught. He's bright enough to now have 1st hand knowledge that ALL NFL Players are fast and if you're not giving your all, you'll be caught.

I have no issue with slowing down the second time. He made sure there was no one around.

He didn't seem to me to be celebrating the second time. Just slowing down, like every single receiver in the league does when they're five yards from the end zone with no one within ten yards of him.

I agree with that to some degree. The point is that slowing down is celebrating. There is zero reason for it. if he did it three games from now, maybe. Even though I think there is zero reason for it even if a lot of others do it. None. But to do it in the same game after what happened to him happened is particularly annoying. And he is clearly not a diva or real showboat or jerk in any way.

I am criticizing him here for this, but I am not worried one bit that sometime later his nonchalance is going to bite him and the team in the ass.

Watkins is a special player. I loved the move up for him and it is paying dividends. He has had a major role in every win & I highly doubt this team is 5-3 with Eric Ebron instead of him.

He is one of the most well spoken, high character rookies I've ever seen & I know you won't ever see that same mistake from him again. It was a stupid rookie mistake and I'm sure Marrone let him know.

I will cut him some slack. He was on his way to scoring his first ever 89 yard TD in the big leagues & was over come with excitement. They ended up scoring a TD & he learned a valuable lesson;no harm,no foul

Sammy will be on every blooper reel and c'mon man this week…..and for years to come. That will be his punishment for his rookie antics on TD1.

Overall…Sammy gonna have to do a lot worse than that for me to stop loving his rookie a$$!!

We have a real NFL QB and a true #1 threat at WR….wheeeeee!!!!!

"Dear Mr. Watkins, We regretfully inform you that your request to make the five yards preceding each end zone as a safe, no tackle, extra celebration zone is hereby denied." (Dated 26 October 2014, 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time)

- Roger Goodell

Please don't put words in my mouth.