Fire Hackett

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like i said - i dont think he sat in a room and decided "you know what, im so good that we should just put some bums out there and show off what i can do" as much as "structurally we are looking at a team that will have short comings on the field - id rather they are on my side of the ball than the other"

I think that is exactly what happened with him and Buddy and that is where our opinions take different turns. The plan was to build a talented defense and in the meantime the offensive minded coach would do just enough to win games.

Edited by Fixxxer

I really dislike Hackett in both his ignorance and his arrogance. That first year in 2013 with no QB coach, no vet QB on the roster, and how did those three rookie QB's turn out because of that stupidity? We certainly can see on the field what a difference a veteran QB can be, and EJ is learning more on the bench behind Orton then he ever did with Hackett.

Mr Can't Hackett and his signature "hurry up and punt offense" in 2013. Which was one of the very worst teams in the NFL at 3 downs and out percentage at 29th. They were also 28th in 3rd down efficiency.

If you would have told me the Bills are going to rush more then they pass in 2013. Lead the league in rushing attempts, and be the #2 team in the league in rushing yards, but are still going to be 6-10. I would have said BS, no way in hell is that even possible. When a team typically runs more then they pass it means they are being an effective offense which usually results in wins. When asked about being the #2 team in the NFL in rushing yards the response was, "we must be doing something right"! No, winning more games then 6 means you are doing something right.

So, Hackett boasts he is going to run Spiller until he throws up! What he didn't tell anyone was that Spiller was going to throw up from constantly banging into the backs of his linemen because there was no hole. I've never seen so much ineffectual blocking, and this year its even worse. Its like they don't even know how to use a blocking sled. Do they not practice against one of the best defensive lines in the game every practice, and how do they not see the flaws, and try to work to get better? Do they not go into a film room to what the results of the previous game only to call the same predictable run plays that didn't work most of the last two years?

Bottom line is, all I want to see is a team be effective on offense in blocking, controlling the line of scrimmage, and controlling the clock while winning games. It sucks that the blocking, offensive run game is so bad when the team has an effective QB, and a top ten defense.

I think that exactly what happened with him and Buddy and that is where our opinion take different turns. The plan was to build a talented defense and in the meantime the offensive minded coach would do just enough to win games.

We also were saddled with the problem of switching between 3-4 and 4-3 twice in Gailey's short tenure. So, for example, we took Spiller first, but also Troup and Carrington because they were 3-4 players. But then we went back to a 4-3 with Wanny.

We also were saddled with the problem of switching between 3-4 and 4-3 twice in Gailey's short tenure. So, for example, we took Spiller first, but also Troup and Carrington because they were 3-4 players. But then we went back to a 4-3 with Wanny.

Troup was a bad pick regardless of the scheme. He was an undersized NT with a history of back problems. When he played he struggled because he was an undersized NT who had back problems. What a shock!

I'll never forgive Gailey or Nix for shoving Fitzpatrick down our throats and telling us how we didn't "get it" that he was a legitimate franchise type QB. They then doubled down on that by never providing even a semblance of competition at the position, as if Ryan Fitzpatrick was Tom Brady or something.

Now MAYBE Nix gets a bit of a break for trading for Jackson, who Gailey refused to even dress, let alone allow to compete. That is on Gailey, and his love affair with the MYTH of Fitzpatrick is a major reason why I'm glad his offense and his plan fell flat on its face and was exposed for the joke it was. And we are supposed to believe he was some offensive mastermind or guru.

LOL

No, a guru is someone who has success when it MATTERS. At least sustained success over the course of a season. Chan had neither, and he is now out of the league.

Fitzpatrick was and is pitiful. Texans fans are all saying the exact same things Bills fans were saying when he was here. He will show a little "fitzmagic" then go right into full tank mode.

People who defended Fitzpatrick used to say "if he just had a top defense THEN we'll see."

Well, he has a top defense in Houston (and it is #1 in the NFL in takeaways), tons of offensive firepower, and an offensive minded head coach. And guess what?

He is STILL awful.

Edited by TheFunPolice

right - i always interpreted the spiller pick as "give me SOMETHING and then do whatever is needed to figure out the defense" and then we switched defensive schemes annually requiring us to re-stock with FAs and draft picks.

I think that is exactly what happened with him and Buddy and that is where our opinions take different turns. The plan was to build a talented defense and in the meantime the offensive minded coach would do just enough to win games.

i dont think that we are too terribly far off in what we are saying. my point is that the talent was low and they could either give a little to each or try to stock one side and let coaching/scheme try to keep the other afloat. he chose to stock the defense, and hope his coaching would keep them atleast competitive on the other side of the ball. if we had hit on our defensive picks (both draft and coaching) out of the gate, id imagine he would have gotten more ammunition for the offense.

right - i always interpreted the spiller pick as "give me SOMETHING and then do whatever is needed to figure out the defense" and then we switched defensive schemes annually requiring us to re-stock with FAs and draft picks.

i dont think that we are too terribly far off in what we are saying. my point is that the talent was low and they could either give a little to each or try to stock one side and let coaching/scheme try to keep the other afloat. he chose to stock the defense, and hope his coaching would keep them atleast competitive on the other side of the ball. if we had hit on our defensive picks (both draft and coaching) out of the gate, id imagine he would have gotten more ammunition for the offense.

Agree with most everything, the only thing that I want to add is that they didn't approach it as, "we will get bad players and show everyone how smart we are." I think that is being implied (if it's not I apologize to Fixxxer). To your point NoSaint they tried to get as much bang for their buck as they could on offense. They would have loved to have better players than Donald Jones, Derek Hagan, etc...

i don't think that we are too terribly far off in what we are saying. my point is that the talent was low and they could either give a little to each or try to stock one side and let coaching/scheme try to keep the other afloat. he chose to stock the defense, and hope his coaching would keep them at least competitive on the other side of the ball. if we had hit on our defensive picks (both draft and coaching) out of the gate, id imagine he would have gotten more ammunition for the offense.

Exactly

Agree with most everything, the only thing that I want to add is that they didn't approach it as, "we will get bad players and show everyone how smart we are." I think that is being implied (if it's not I apologize to Fixxxer). To your point NoSaint they tried to get as much bang for their buck as they could on offense. They would have loved to have better players than Donald Jones, Derek Hagan, etc...

More like Chan telling Nix, "don't worry with the talent on offense right now, I think I can score enough points to win games, lets focus on defense first".

I don't want to say that Gailey had a big ego, but I think he was very confident in his abilities, to a fault, obviously.

Exactly

More like Chan telling Nix, "don't worry with the talent on offense right now, I think I can score enough points to win games, lets focus on defense first".

I don't want to say that Gailey had a big ego, but I think he was very confident in his abilities, to a fault, obviously.

Fair enough

I think that the important part is that is was a function of the team having so little talent at the beginning of the Gailey era. They really were starting from scratch and it takes time. They chose to address the defense first but I don't think that it was because they thought that they would be okay on offense. The current coaching staff entered into a WAY better situation than Chan and company.

Fair enough

I think that the important part is that is was a function of the team having so little talent at the beginning of the Gailey era. They really were starting from scratch and it takes time. They chose to address the defense first but I don't think that it was because they thought that they would be okay on offense. The current coaching staff entered into a WAY better situation than Chan and company.

When Nix took over this team it was barely better than an expansion team. There was no quick fix to the situation, especially for a franchise that had a tendency to operate in a parsimonious fashion. (Don't misunderstand what I am saying. The core of the problem wasn't spending enough money as it was simply a third rate staffed football operation making a lot of poor decisions.) Nix did upgrade the talent pool compared to the wasted Levy/Brandon era. Although he was an upgrade over his dismal predecessors he still was a mediocre steward of the franchise compared to many other well staffed operations.

If you analyze the Bills football operation it was a continuous churning of staff and philosophies. If you analyze the Bills business operation it was a stable operation that didn't change its staffing. If Ralph Wilson took the same approach with the football side of the business as he did with the business side of the operation this franchise would have been more stable and competitive.

I believe that Whaley is a competent GM who has an understanding what it takes to be successful. Without a doubt his model is the Steeler model. I also believe that Brandon is the right person to oversee the business of the organization with an understanding what support Whaley needs to be successful. If Pegula is as smart as I think he is he will keep the current staffing in place for the near future and see how things develop. It's not about the money as it is about the level of competency from the football side of the business.

When Nix took over this team it was barely better than an expansion team. There was no quick fix to the situation, especially for a franchise that had a tendency to operate in a parsimonious fashion. (Don't misunderstand what I am saying. The core of the problem wasn't spending enough money as it was simply a third rate staffed football operation making a lot of poor decisions.) Nix did upgrade the talent pool compared to the wasted Levy/Brandon era. Although he was an upgrade over his dismal predecessors he still was a mediocre steward of the franchise compared to many other well staffed operations.

If you analyze the Bills football operation it was a continuous churning of staff and philosophies. If you analyze the Bills business operation it was a stable operation that didn't change its staffing. If Ralph Wilson took the same approach with the football side of the business as he did with the business side of the operation this franchise would have been more stable and competitive.

I believe that Whaley is a competent GM who has an understanding what it takes to be successful. Without a doubt his model is the Steeler model. I also believe that Brandon is the right person to oversee the business of the organization with an understanding what support Whaley needs to be successful. If Pegula is as smart as I think he is he will keep the current staffing in place for the near future and see how things develop. It's not about the money as it is about the level of competency from the football side of the business.

Fantastic post and I agree with it all. The two people that have gotten off way to easy for the last 15 years are Modrak & Guy. They were influential in the Doanhoe era and then called the shots right after. Those teams in the mid to late 2000's had such little talent.

Back on topic, thought this headline was an interesting contrast to a coaching philosophy.

Kelly's offense will change with Sanchez

Varsity vs JV

Other than using certain play packages vs. others, I don't buy what Kelly is saying for a minute. You cannot revamp your entire offense to suit a particular QB in such a short period of time. Next to impossible. I look for the Philly offense to bear a striking resemblance to the Philly offense we've seen since Kelly got there.

GO BILLS!!!

Apparently Buddy Nix didn't seem to think the team was that bad back in 2010, as one of his first statements was "you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away".

Nix made things so much worse by first hiring Chan Gailey, and then that god awful first draft with Spiller at #9 when the team was desperate for both a LT & RT. Remember Mansfield Wrotto at RT, and the 7th rounder Demetress Bell replacing Jason Peters at LT? Nix also screwed the pooch in free agency with RT Cornell Green who lasted 6 games. Then Gailey going with Trent Edwards all off season as his starting QB only to cut him off the team after two games.

The one positive that came from the Buddy Nix hire besides the three wasted years of losing, is the revamping of the scouting dept, along with finally saying goodbye to Tom Modrak. I still think that jerk was on the Patriots payroll. Also, the move to replace Nix with Whaley, I'm not so sure that was entirely Nix's idea. The entire coaching staff, and GM along with the three QB's were all rookies last year, and showed it. If Whaley is so competent as a GM, then WTH happened to the O line? He is responsible for the entire team, and not just select areas.

As far as the new owners keeping the same staff is concerned, do you honestly believe this staff can conceive a game plan to beat the Patriots, Broncos or beat a playoff team should they get to the playoffs?

Me, I have no faith in the current staff, and while I can see Whaley staying with a knowledgeable adviser above him. I would dearly like to see an experienced winning head coach be hired. Like Jim Harbough, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Mike Smith who is sure to be fired by Atlanta, or even a not so great HC in Jack Del Rio. I could even live with Marrone if he wasn't attached at the hip to Hackett, as I think its going to take years for Nathaniel Hackett to fully develop into a decent coordinator, that is if he ever does.

Apparently Buddy Nix didn't seem to think the team was that bad back in 2010, as one of his first statements was "you're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away".

Nix made things so much worse by first hiring Chan Gailey, and then that god awful first draft with Spiller at #9 when the team was desperate for both a LT & RT. Remember Mansfield Wrotto at RT, and the 7th rounder Demetress Bell replacing Jason Peters at LT? Nix also screwed the pooch in free agency with RT Cornell Green who lasted 6 games. Then Gailey going with Trent Edwards all off season as his starting QB only to cut him off the team after two games.

The one positive that came from the Buddy Nix hire besides the three wasted years of losing, is the revamping of the scouting dept, along with finally saying goodbye to Tom Modrak. I still think that jerk was on the Patriots payroll. Also, the move to replace Nix with Whaley, I'm not so sure that was entirely Nix's idea. The entire coaching staff, and GM along with the three QB's were all rookies last year, and showed it. If Whaley is so competent as a GM, then WTH happened to the O line? He is responsible for the entire team, and not just select areas.

As far as the new owners keeping the same staff is concerned, do you honestly believe this staff can conceive a game plan to beat the Patriots, Broncos or beat a playoff team should they get to the playoffs?

Me, I have no faith in the current staff, and while I can see Whaley staying with a knowledgeable adviser above him. I would dearly like to see an experienced winning head coach be hired. Like Jim Harbough, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Mike Smith who is sure to be fired by Atlanta, or even a not so great HC in Jack Del Rio. I could even live with Marrone if he wasn't attached at the hip to Hackett, as I think its going to take years for Nathaniel Hackett to fully develop into a decent coordinator, that is if he ever does.

Mike Smith? The guy who has a TE playing O-line?

Another one in total agreement here. I think Buddy, for all his faults inherited a total mess and made some progress. He knew what a successful football operation looked like and he started the process. He also left some pretty good players in place - albeit some big holes too, not least at QB. My favourite Buddy Nix quote is the "you can't fix everything at once." When he took over literally everything needed fixing.

Edited by GunnerBill

Mike Smith? The guy who has a TE playing O-line?

Hey, I like Lavine Toilolo!

Is it Mike Smith's fault that the O line is so banged up he needs to start a TE at tackle? Mike Nolan is a talented DC, and yet he is fielding one of the worst defenses in the NFL. It is also rumored that Falcons owner is looking at Nick Saban to be the new Atlanta HC next year, and there is also talk that current GM Thomas Dimitroff will be history too. Dimitroff seems to be having a John Idzik type year. I never did like the Steven Jackson pickup, or some of his move the last two years.