Syracuse football/basketball under ncaa investigation

NoSaint

Debated here vs off the wall but given marrrone might be part I'll go here:

@McMurphyESPN: Syracuse hoops & football to face NCAA COI for alleged extra benefits/academic issues going back at least 10 years source told @ESPN

Edited by NoSaint

Nothing under Marrone at SU, but the football team committed violations. More like basketball, it seems. Either way, coaches can't control this. There are too many people and too much money around. Can't police every player on the team and every person in the university. Not possible or realistic.

Only one way all this nonsense ends for good:

NCAA athletics are not televised anywhere. Problem solved.

When the focus stops being on the $$$ revolving around these games and placed back on the purpose of college - academics - then we'll see all of this nonsense end.

We want to glamorize these athletes and have entire networks dedicated to their play, then have the professional leagues (nfl, nba, nhl, etc) set up junior leagues and televise games that way. Pay the players in the junior league and then glamorize them all you want. Instead of wasting everyones time by going to college, the elite players are recruited and paid to join junior leagues.

Until that is done, we're just all blowing a lot of hot air bc the entire NCAA system is a sham.

If every team in the NFL had a "B" team (like european soccer teams do) where players are signed right out of HS (or drafted - whatever)...and the NFLs "B" league played on saturdays, wouldnt everyone watch?? I know i would.

Ratings would have to be high i imagine. Bc you have a vested interest in seeing players on your B team develop bc they will eventually be in the NFL in 2-3 yrs or even one year depending on how good they are. NFL would make money off of tv contracts to air those games and that would cover cost of "B" team.

Pay players 50-60k a year. Youre still watching top talent bc these players are the same players that wouldve been playing on alabama, nd, usc, arkansas etc. instead now theyre in the B league.

The NCAA used to be able to claim that the value provided to the players' from being accepted into the colleges and afforded the opportunity to obtain a degree was compensation enough. Nowadays, every kid that graduates from high school can get accepted into some money hungry, student loan leaching college. The value of a college degree is much less than days past when Boomers obtained them.

So duke basketball has a ridiculous recruiting class this year, and it's two major in conference rivals, Syracuse and UNC, both are being investigated for major academic/player special treatment violations? Not a bad time to be coach K.

Yeah, this belongs in otw.

fab melo is still causing SU agida....prick

I had no idea that that was how you spell agida, but I HAVE always wondered.

If every team in the NFL had a "B" team (like european soccer teams do) where players are signed right out of HS (or drafted - whatever)...and the NFLs "B" league played on saturdays, wouldnt everyone watch?? I know i would.

Ratings would have to be high i imagine. Bc you have a vested interest in seeing players on your B team develop bc they will eventually be in the NFL in 2-3 yrs or even one year depending on how good they are. NFL would make money off of tv contracts to air those games and that would cover cost of "B" team.

Pay players 50-60k a year. Youre still watching top talent bc these players are the same players that wouldve been playing on alabama, nd, usc, arkansas etc. instead now theyre in the B league.

Universities would lose lots of $. Why would they ever support something like that? While I support the concept, it's a non-starter.

I have been against it but it is time for the ncaa to go in regards to basketball and football.

The whole structure of those sports needs to change. They need like a constitutional convention and make a new framework. It is just from every direction now. They also should be freed from title ix to some degree.

I would still like a tangible set of boundaries and a specific guideline into punishments down to naming the specific board responsible for punishing.

The ncaa as a governing body is just in way too over its head these days. It's coming from all directions whether it's the video game/likeness issue, sandusky, unc, syracuse, calls to pay players etc.

Whatever it is, I hope there is still a good place for mid majors to share the stage. I also wouldn't mind allowing players to be drafted and continue in college like the CHL or ncaa hockey.

Players should be getting paid, period. The fact that students get in trouble for getting some sort of compensation is ridiculous, especially when the schools and the NCAA profit so much from the sports these kids participate in.

:thumbsup:

modern day slavery

Only one way all this nonsense ends for good:

NCAA athletics are not televised anywhere. Problem solved.

When the focus stops being on the $$$ revolving around these games and placed back on the purpose of college - academics - then we'll see all of this nonsense end.

We want to glamorize these athletes and have entire networks dedicated to their play, then have the professional leagues (nfl, nba, nhl, etc) set up junior leagues and televise games that way. Pay the players in the junior league and then glamorize them all you want. Instead of wasting everyones time by going to college, the elite players are recruited and paid to join junior leagues.

Until that is done, we're just all blowing a lot of hot air bc the entire NCAA system is a sham.

This will never happen.

interesting, but also not going to happen.