Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting it this year, after I've been educated by multiple folks the necessity in creating a safer environment for those with weakened immune systems.

Some good points by Tom and others regarding motivations behind the reduction in vaccine participation over the years, but I wonder why the powers that be don't even attempt to advertise the flu shot as a community good/social obligation.

Flue shot may not work this year. Flue strain is different than what they planned for.

Second time I've heard that in two days. Any insights from the board's medical community?

Edited by KD in CT

Second time I've heard that in two days. Any insights from the board's medical community?

The flu vaccine contains the three most likely strains the experts think will be prevalent in the winter. Iley decide this in February for the next winter since it takes over 6 months to produce enough. Sometimes nature fools them and they guess wrong.

What Wacka said. From what I've read, even though they got the serotypes right, one of the serotypes (H3N2) is a different strain than they anticipated because of mutations in the past three months. So the flu shot will only provide partial protection against that particular strain.

That's less a problem with the flu shot itself, and more a problem of the six months it takes to manufacture a vaccine. If the strain changes within those six months, there's not much you can do about it.

I'm pissed. This is the first year in sooo long that I got one early, and now it's even going to work!

Not true. The CDC and the media really need to do a better job at getting out the correct message. The vaccine may have reduced efficacy against one of the strains (H3N2), but the vaccine is still very much worth getting.

CDC press release

Increasing the risk of a severe flu season is the finding that roughly half of the H3N2 viruses analyzed are drift variants: viruses with antigenic or genetic changes that make them different from that season’s vaccine virus. This means the vaccine’s ability to protect against those viruses may be reduced, although vaccinated people may have a milder illness if they do become infected. During the 2007-2008 flu season, the predominant H3N2 virus was a drift variant yet the vaccine had an overall efficacy of 37 percent and 42 percent against H3N2 viruses.

“While the vaccine’s ability to protect against drifted H3N2 viruses this season may be reduced, we are still strongly recommending vaccination,” said Joseph Bresee, M.D., Chief of the Influenza Epidemiology and Prevention Branch at CDC. “Vaccination has been found to provide some protection against drifted viruses in past seasons. Also, vaccination will offer protection against other flu viruses that may become more common later in the season.”