Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

Last year I got the flu right after Christmas. After a week I realized it was more than a bad cold and went to the doctor, who diagnosed it as H1N1, AKA Swine Flu.

Man, I was sick for two and a half weeks. If I had fluid in my lungs, I would have been hospitalized.

It sucks being that sick and it also sucks that our time off at work is all "PTO".

I usually do not get sick, so getting the flu cost me a week's vacation as far as I was concerned!

I also do not consider being bedridden and contagious "personal time off". If I could have made it to work, I was contagious for over a week.

I could have wiped out the call center!

Does anyone else get the flu shot? I got the shot yesterday and no side effects.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait to get mine toward November. Every other year I end up getting a very bad flu to turn in to pneumonia. This is the year I will get it. If I do not get it then I end up getting the flu a couple times in the winter.

I haven't had the flu since I was in high school. I got the flu shot when my son was an infant, thinking "I'd protect him by protecting me". Sure enough, 2 days later, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Not the flu, but I was literally NEVER sick, had the shot, and within 48 hours was using a nebulizer for the next 2 weeks. Needless to say, I've never gotten another flu shot. I eat 3 squares, engage in cardio exercise daily, and lead a happy life. My lifestyle predispositions me for health, not sickness. I'll get the flu shot if I ever get the flu again. 20+ years strong, knock on wood!

58 years old never had the flu in my life. Never had a shot. Not going to tamper with whats working.

"Since I never got the flu, I don't need a shot." That's horrible risk analysis.

It's the exact same risk analysis I use...but it's still horrible.

No. Never have. I am 46.

With JRA/RA... Things are going well, I simply don't want to mess around. Hopefully herd immunity takes over. As a child, I don't think I ever got the rubella shot because of JRA?

I know they say the vaccines are safe, I just don't want to take a chance with a flare... Things are going well so I stay the course.

"Since I never got the flu, I don't need a shot." That's horrible risk analysis.

It's the exact same risk analysis I use...but it's still horrible.

Again, why tamper with success? After a life time of flu free living why should I get a shot now? I have heard plenty of stories from people that never had the flu till they got a shot. I should do it because CDC says so?

Again, why tamper with success? After a life time of flu free living why should I get a shot now? I have heard plenty of stories from people that never had the flu till they got a shot. I should do it because CDC says so?

I mean you are right. I don't want to take a risk with a RA flare-up... Herd immunity is working, but I also want do my part. Who wants to willingly be a freeloader (off the herd)?

I did purposely lob that softball right over the meat of the plate! ;-P ;-P

I mean you are right. I don't want to take a risk with a RA flare-up... Herd immunity is working, but I also want do my part. Who wants to willingly be a freeloader (off the herd)?

I did purposely lob that softball right over the meat of the plate! ;-P ;-P

I don't know what RA is. And how is having a immune system capable of handling the flu on it's own freeloading?

I have the constitution of a bear and haven't been really "sick" since my teen years. I get a sniffle now and then, but nothing too serious. That said, I get a flu shot every year . . . And unlike Pooj, i am a fanatic about hand sanitizer.

Rule #1: Always go wash your hands after handling the menu in a restaurant . . .