Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

to prevent epidemics/pandemics. also to prevent transmission to frail people that could well die or suffer serious morbidity from an infection. i might manifest mild symptoms from the flu while the person i gave it to might die. sound melodramatic? nope. many people die every year from the flu.

Not accusing anyone of melodrama. Simply opining that the flu shot is not a guarantee to prevent the flu. Furthermore, it only prevents certain strains of the flu. The epidemic/pandemic could occur with a strain not vaccinated against by the shot.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! From the link:

These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine.

Influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary from year to year and among different age and risk groups.

Yes. There is still a possibility you could get the flu even if you got vaccinated. The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on various factors, including the age and health status of the person being vaccinated, and also the similarity or “match” between the viruses used to make the vaccine and those circulating in the community.

I'm not saying getting the flu shot is a bad thing. I'm just questioning how "unethical" it is by opting to not get one.

Thanks! From the link:

These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine.

Influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary from year to year and among different age and risk groups.

Yes. There is still a possibility you could get the flu even if you got vaccinated. The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on various factors, including the age and health status of the person being vaccinated, and also the similarity or “match” between the viruses used to make the vaccine and those circulating in the community.

I'm not saying getting the flu shot is a bad thing. I'm just questioning how "unethical" it is by opting to not get one.

from the same article (paraphrasing) "the best way to protect yourself from getting the flu or prevent giving it to others is the flu shot". there is no better way and it's much better than no immunization - about 70% effective on avg http://www.ncbi.nlm....fluenza season.. a yearly shot with minimal side effect risk seems a small price for the benefit of cutting down the occurence of a potentially fatal disease by 70%. hypothetically, let's say there was a vaccine 70% effective at lowering your risk of transmitting or contracting ebola. would you take that? Edited by birdog1960

Did you even look at it? It comes in small "grains" that you take over a 4 week period.

Yes, I looked at it. It didn't say it came in small "grains," it said "30C."

That has a specific meaning in homeopathy. Part of that meaning is: if it's in solid form, you're getting ripped off badly.

from the same article (paraphrasing) "the best way to protect yourself from getting the flu or prevent giving it to others is the flu shot". there is no better way and it's much better than no immunization - about 70% effective on avg http://www.ncbi.nlm....fluenza season.. a yearly shot with minimal side effect risk seems a small price for the benefit of cutting down the occurence of a potentially fatal disease by 70%. hypothetically, let's say there was a vaccine 70% effective at lowering your risk of transmitting or contracting ebola. would you take that?

Knowing what I know about the flu shot (for me, personally, it's made no difference; if anything, I've gotten the flu less time without the shot than I have gotten the flu after getting the shot), no - I would not get an ebola vaccine that was touted as being 70% effective.

to prevent epidemics/pandemics. also to prevent transmission to frail people that could well die or suffer serious morbidity from an infection. i might manifest mild symptoms from the flu while the person i gave it to might die. sound melodramatic? nope. many people die every year from the flu.

I've often heard that with most strains of the flu, a person can carry and spread the disease without actually suffering any of the symptoms. is this true?

Yep, get mine every year, as should most everyone. DCTom and birdog have addressed much of the misinformation in here well enough already, but I'll add this link that I usually refer people to when a lot of this nonsense turns up on my Facebook feed.

http://www.scienceba...ccine-efficacy/

But the topic for this post concerns the efficacy of the flu vaccine. I am limiting myself to the use of the vaccine in adults.

The flu vaccine is not out best vaccine for at least three reasons.

First, every year they have to make an educated guess which influenza strains will be circulating 9 months in the future. The better the guess, the better the protection the vaccine should provide. Some years they choose better than others. But often the match between the vaccine and the disease is not optimal, so vaccine efficacy can be decreased. The vaccine works best when there is a good antigentic match between the vaccine and circulating strain of influenza.

Second, response to the vaccine is not 100%. The older and more immunoincompetent are the least likely to develop a good antibody response to the vaccine. In a bit of medical irony, the more likely a patient is to need protection from the vaccine, the less likely they are to get a protective antibody response from the vaccine.

Third, vaccination rates are often suboptimal to get benefit in populations, i.e. herd immunity. The elderly will more likely benefit if they are not exposed to influenza at all rather than relying of vaccine mediated protection. It may be more important if those around them, say their health care provider or family, receives the vaccine and as a result does not pass flu on to more vulnerable people. But we rarely (never, ever, never) get vaccination rates at levels for herd immunity to kick in.

So it’s a suboptimal vaccine. And that’s a problem. One, because it will make it more difficult to prove efficacy in clinical studies and two, there is a sub group of anti vaccine goofs who seem to require that vaccines either be perfect, with 100% efficacy and 100% safe, or they are not worth taking.

The influenza vaccine is not 100% efficacious in preventing disease, but it is as close to 100% safe, and much safer than the disease.

Yep, get mine every year, as should most everyone. DCTom and birdog have addressed much of the misinformation in here well enough already, but I'll add this link that I usually refer people to when a lot of this nonsense turns up on my Facebook feed.

http://www.scienceba...ccine-efficacy/

What about the autism concerns with vaccines such as the flu shot?

The flu vaccine is one of my main responsibilities where I work, and I am a self-proclaimed flu vaccine evangelist. Anyone who doesn't get the flu shot for anything other than valid medical reasons is on my **** list.

"I never get the flu" or "The flu shot makes me sick" are two of the most annoyingly invalid reasons for not getting the flu shot.

My main message to others is that, for most otherwise healthy people (and health care workers), the flu shot really isn't just for you. It's for the people around you who are more susceptible to it. The flu severely debilitates and even kills people. If you can interrupt transmission, it helps everyone. Plus, you can transmit the flu virus to others even before you start feeling sick.

Just because it's not 100% effective doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

The flu vaccine is one of my main responsibilities where I work, and I am a self-proclaimed flu vaccine evangelist. Anyone who doesn't get the flu shot for anything other than valid medical reasons is on my **** list.

"I never get the flu" or "The flu shot makes me sick" are two of the most annoyingly invalid reasons for not getting the flu shot.

My main message to others is that, for most otherwise healthy people (and health care workers), the flu shot really isn't just for you. It's for the people around you who are more susceptible to it. The flu severely debilitates and even kills people. If you can interrupt transmission, it helps everyone. Plus, you can transmit the flu virus to others even before you start feeling sick.

not for nothing, but how would you know?? Were you the guy without the suit on at the airport?

Edited by plenzmd1

this absolutely right on....

Edited by millbank

Knowing what I know about the flu shot (for me, personally, it's made no difference; if anything, I've gotten the flu less time without the shot than I have gotten the flu after getting the shot), no - I would not get an ebola vaccine that was touted as being 70% effective.

then you are lacking in a basic mammalian instinct: survival. a highly lethal disease threatens your life (yes, it really does in a small but finite and ever increasing way) and everyone's around you and you could decrease that risk by more than 1/2 and you wouldn't do it. this is a case study in the problems involved with controlling preventable infections in this country. policy doesn't matter if people don't recognize common sense measures. Edited by birdog1960

The flu vaccine contains the three most likely strains the experts think will be prevalent in the winter. Iley decide this in February for the next winter since it takes over 6 months to produce enough. Sometimes nature fools them and they guess wrong. You do not get the flu from a shot, you already had it when getting the vaccine if you come down with it right after the shot. The major strain changes about every 3 years and I would get the flu about every 3 years. Be home a week and lose about 10 lbs each time (all fluid). I was deathly ill during Super Bowl XXV. Started getting the shots about 20 years ago and haven't gotten the flu since. $ is not a concern because at CVS it costs $15 and they give you a coupon good for a week for 20% off at the store. While I was in the hospital with my stroke in July, I got the flu and pneumonia vaccines.

Hell yeah I got a flu shot. Got it yesterday. Why shouldn't I get free protection against the flu, for free (insurance covers it)? The shot is nothing and it's way better than getting sick. And of course me getting it helps everyone else too.