Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

Yes, and the bigger question for you old geezers like me is are you getting the shingles vaccination?

Recommended now at 50 if you had the chicken pox...positive on both for me.

Flu piece of cake compared to the shingles.

Didn't know they had a shingles vaccine. I'm in the same boat, and my mother had shingles after I had chicken pox.

My wife had a flu shot a few years ago and got sick afterwards. She and I haven't had one since.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a flu shot last weekend, and I feel just fine. at 56, I'm starting to feel really bad when I catch a cold, let alone the flu. I'm glad that I quit smoking, because that lowered my immunity and made catching a flu even more miserable.

I used to have to get it every year when I was on active duty. I found if I got the shot I was ok, if I had to get the mist up the nose I'd get sick. So I started telling them every year I had a pregnant gf at home so I could get the shot with the needle. Didn't get one last year after I retired and was ok, probably won't get one this year either.

Again, why tamper with success? After a life time of flu free living why should I get a shot now? I have heard plenty of stories from people that never had the flu till they got a shot. I should do it because CDC says so?

Because they're independent events. Our chances of getting the flu this season are not lower because we didn't have the flu last season. we're not "tampering with success," we're rolling the dice according to the "hot hand fallacy." It's the same sort of "It didn't happen before, so it's low-risk this time" warped risk analysis that got the Challenger exploded.

I get mine every year on week 1 - then I always know when I got it. I have a son with a heart condition, so making sure nobody in my family gets sick is a big priority for us - we all get our flu shots every year and don't look back. The flu is terrible if you get it - it'll knock you on your butt for a week or more - "ain't nobody got time fo' that!"

People who say, "I don't get the flu shot because it makes me sick," are either full of crap, or just happen to get sick shortly after receiving the shot. They no longer use a live virus in the flu shot.

I used to get it every year. I stopped about 10 years ago and don't plan on getting one until I reach an age where it's recommended.

We do make our son get one every year, however.

Yes, and the bigger question for you old geezers like me is are you getting the shingles vaccination?

The shingles vaccine isn't available to those under 50. I got shingles at 40 - before the vaccine was available to the public. I tried to get the vaccine (one is at higher risk to get shingles after having it prior) and they told me I was too young (now 43).

I think that's BS. Shingles sucks.

People who say, "I don't get the flu shot because it makes me sick," are either full of crap, or just happen to get sick shortly after receiving the shot. They no longer use a live virus in the flu shot.

It's supposed to make you sick. If it works, it triggers an immune reaction, which in some people can be as bad as a couple days' being under the weather. The point is that two days of "feeling icky" is better than having the flu for two weeks.

Most vaccinations do that to me. A tetanus shot will give me a fever and muscle aches for 48 hours.

this is partially true. the fda approved it for 50-59 but the ACIP has not recommended it in this age group http://www.cdc.gov/v...recommendations. for this reason, it will often not be cobered by insurance in this age group.

I mean you are right. I don't want to take a risk with a RA flare-up... Herd immunity is working, but I also want do my part. Who wants to willingly be a freeloader (off the herd)?

I did purposely lob that softball right over the meat of the plate! ;-P ;-P

having RA would move the bvalance even further towards taking the shot especially if you are on immunosuppresive meds.

Does anyone know if having gotten a flu shot in years past gives you stronger resistance than if you've never had one?

unlikely since the strain changes every year. the changes in the vaccine are the manufacturers best guess at what the most prevalent flu viruses for a given year will be. sometimes they're wrong hence, ineffective.

and i absolutely will be getting the vaccine. besides it being a requirement for employment, it's the ethical thing to do ...for just about everyone except those few with a valid medical reason for exclusion.

Edited by birdog1960

It's supposed to make you sick. If it works, it triggers an immune reaction, which in some people can be as bad as a couple days' being under the weather. The point is that two days of "feeling icky" is better than having the flu for two weeks.

Most vaccinations do that to me. A tetanus shot will give me a fever and muscle aches for 48 hours.

Yup. I've skipped the shot most years, but the times I've had it I've had the two days of feeling icky several times. By comparison I've had the flu only twice, once about 25 years ago and once last year, and that wasn't even quite the regular flu so the shot might not have helped anyway (according to the doc).

and i absolutely will be getting the vaccine. besides it being a requirement for employment, it's the ethical thing to do ...for just about everyone except those few with a valid medical reason for exclusion.

Which makes the whole vaccine somewhat of a crap shoot anyway, correct?

How is getting a flu shot the ethical thing to do? (asked the person who's had the flu zero times in the 10 years he's not gotten the flu shot)?

GE gives them to anyone that wants them I got it 2 weeks ago.

It's getting harder to avoid! If you have to go to the doctor for any reason in the fall, forget it. At work, at the CVS, all everyone wants to know is if you got your flu shot.

How is getting a flu shot the ethical thing to do? (asked the person who's had the flu zero times in the 10 years he's not gotten the flu shot)?

to prevent epidemics/pandemics. also to prevent transmission to frail people that could well die or suffer serious morbidity from an infection. i might manifest mild symptoms from the flu while the person i gave it to might die. sound melodramatic? nope. many people die every year from the flu.

I get the flu, at least once a year whether or not I get a flu shot. If it's coming through the area, I'm getting it. I have a hereditary anemia which may contribute to my body's poor immune system. I suppose in years where I get a flu shot, if they have successfully guessed what strain of flu is likely to hit, I may have been spared the full force of the flu---but how do you really know?

I also tend to get sick following the flu shot about 50% of the time. I stopped getting flu shots for awhile, but I felt like I was getting hit harder with a couple really bad bouts. So, at my doctor's appt a couple weeks ago, he gave me the flu shot. Felt pretty bad for a couple days after and then...BAMN! got the flu. Lasted about a week. Not the worst as far as symptoms go, but still debilitating. Since I work in other people's homes and places of business, I can't exactly expose them to my illness. it effectively kept me out of work for a week. My question is, will I get the flu again in Jan/Feb? Probably. But maybe I'll miss my almost yearly Christmas flu.