Are you getting a Flu shot?

rockpile

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for them: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MEASLES_OUTBREAK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-01-29-17-06-21. makes perfect sense. should become a universal policy: you don't look out for your neighbor, we don't look out for you.

Wow... We've come a long way, especially doctors. If my mother was alive she would tell the story of how almost 50 years ago, she was in the doctor's office. One child has chicken pox and he opened up a sucker and gave the child with the chicken pox it. No big deal, but he pulled it out of the child's mouth and gave it to another child! Saying: "Well they should have it sooner than later." My mother thought that it was outrageous and crazy! Even for the mid-1960's!

Anyway... Don't make them wait in waitng rooms, or keep separate rooms. How can they refuse? Aren't they breaking The Oath?

well, if you didn't get vaccinated for measles, you might not be allowed in disneyland: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/22/379072061/disneyland-measles-outbreak-hits-59-cases-and-counting

the arguments against vaccination are weak and selfish. the benefits greatly outweight the risks.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know there's something you and I agree and feel strongly about. Edited by Rob's House

good for them: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MEASLES_OUTBREAK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-01-29-17-06-21. makes perfect sense. should become a universal policy: you don't look out for your neighbor, we don't look out for you.

Not only that, but as a trained physician, why would you want to attempt to give medical advice to a family that clearly disbelieves your training and advice in favor of junk they find on the Internet, stories from people who no nothing about causation and crazy conspiracy theories? If I brought my car to the mechanic and he told me it needed new breaks and I told him it didn't, it only needed a little oil to stop the squeaking because that's what I read on the Internet, I expect he'd tell me to get lost and find another mechanic.

Not only that, but as a trained physician, why would you want to attempt to give medical advice to a family that clearly disbelieves your training and advice in favor of junk they find on the Internet, stories from people who no nothing about causation and crazy conspiracy theories? If I brought my car to the mechanic and he told me it needed new breaks and I told him it didn't, it only needed a little oil to stop the squeaking because that's what I read on the Internet, I expect he'd tell me to get lost and find another mechanic.

much of medicine involves trying to repair self inflicted harm. that's a given. but enabling others to do harm to innocent victims is an entirely different matter.

much of medicine involves trying to repair self inflicted harm. that's a given. but enabling others to do harm to innocent victims is an entirely different matter.

I see what you are saying, but I am torn. You'd be sending them out into the world unhealed (even if they didn't have a vaccine) where they would/could possibly do more harm. How is that helping. ?? A waiting room situation would seem like a very easy thing to resolve. Then there is the whole Hippocratic Oath thing. You are doing worse harm passinig the buck... No?

I see what you are saying, but I am torn. You'd be sending them out into the world unhealed (even if they didn't have a vaccine) where they would/could possibly do more harm. How is that helping. ?? A waiting room situation would seem like a very easy thing to resolve. Then there is the whole Hippocratic Oath thing. You are doing worse harm passinig the buck... No?

Where do you suppose that an unvaxer would be more likely to come into "contact" with some who has a suppressed immune system? A Drs. Office of course. You think that it's as simple as having a separate waiting area? How about separate exam rooms, separate equipment, separate nurses and separate doctors? You willing to foot the bill for that? Regarding their oath; are they not endangering the lives of immunosupressed individuals by treating unvaxers? Are doctors not now excluding patients based on their insurance coverage?

Think I exaggerate? I've been told that I cannot be near my grandson if he has received a live vaccine unless I've been pretreated. How vulnerable do you suppose I am walking in the general public among the unvaxed?