Mike Williams is A Big Problem

tonyd19

Actually, I do believe the explanation; I just don't agree with it.

In my mind, it's the same as the decision to keep Mario and Hughes on the bench for the first 7 snaps of NE's final TD drive. I sat in the stands, wondering aloud why the team's 2 best pass rushers aren't in the game. I figured the answer was that they were saving them for 3rd down; turns out (as Marrone said in his post-game press conference) that was indeed the reason. I hate that reasoning; it's stupid. That doesn't mean that I don't believe it.

I think it's quite obvious that what Marrone said about Mike Williams is genuinely his thought process; I just don't agree with it. Much the same as I understand that they dress Lee Smith as a blocking TE, when they could just as easily dress another WR or RB and use Urbik or Hairston as a blocking TE (since they're just as likely as Lee Smith to get open and catch a pass). I understand the thought process; I completely disagree with it.

I think we are basically on the same page as I agree with you, I just believe it is an excuse, not the actual reason. I think the special teams reason is a justification. I think MW was pissed about not being targeted more, made it known and was pissing off the coaching staff. So they decided to send him a little message. Your explanation regarding using another lineman in place of Gragg is perfect. Also, do you really need 3 kickers. Can Carpenter really not handle a few kick offs?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess you missed when Mario Williams signed here. Or when Brandon Spikes signed here. Or when Corey Graham signed here. Or when Kyle Orton would rather play here than in Dallas. Or when Keith Rivers signed here. The Bills have signed just as many, if not more big name players the last few years as anyone.

I would consider Mario to be the only big name of the bunch. For him is what all about the $$$$$$

Guess you missed when Mario Williams signed here. Or when Brandon Spikes signed here. Or when Corey Graham signed here. Or when Kyle Orton would rather play here than in Dallas. Or when Keith Rivers signed here. The Bills have signed just as many, if not more big name players the last few years as anyone.

Yes, and we paid more for everyone of them then most teams would have. You can call it the Buffalo premium if you like. They either do not sign or you must overpay for them to deal with the hassle.

Sitting him probably is a result of attitude and irritation on his part because he is not starting. WRs tend to be divas and head cases. If he proves in practice to be a team player, knows his current role, he will play. Taking your ball and going home is the wrong way to go about your business.

A couple of things: Chandler dropped a pass on the play before that one. The constant in both cases: Chandler and Hogan were both staring directly into the sun. It was obvious from looking at the shadows. Every other pass after that (not many, but still) went to the other side of the field.

Well, if the sure handed Chandler has a drop in that situation I should give Hogan a pass.

Winning and money cure all. Being a fan of another smaller market team, I think a lot of Free Agents would prefer to go to another organization for night life, weather, etc. But if Marrone wins this will not be an issue. Maybe he had it with some crap behind the scenes and he doesn't want to deal with it and he is setting an example?

Winning cures all. You know we've been hearing that for 15 years, right? That, and Marrone isn't going to win anything. Let's keep it real now.

Sitting him probably is a result of attitude and irritation on his part because he is not starting. WRs tend to be divas and head cases. If he proves in practice to be a team player, knows his current role, he will play. Taking your ball and going home is the wrong way to go about your business.

Or just as likely it could be that Saint Doug is the diva that can't get over whatever went down when MW was at Syracuse. After all, the patron saint of garbage did tell him if they were still in college he wouldn't allow him on his team. I'm sorry but the Saint of Garbage needs to be fed to the compactor. Let's get a real coach that can handle personalities without chaffing like a fat man's thighs.

Or just as likely it could be that Saint Doug is the diva that can't get over whatever went down when MW was at Syracuse. After all, the patron saint of garbage did tell him if they were still in college he wouldn't allow him on his team. I'm sorry but the Saint of Garbage needs to be fed to the compactor. Let's get a real coach that can handle personalities without chaffing like a fat man's thighs.

MW had issues in HS. He had issues in Tampa. But sure, it's gotta be the coach.

With a head coach who's seemingly engaged in a Nolan/Muckler contest with the front office for control over the roster and personnel. With an offensive coordinator who couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag let alone call a competent game. And with a RG who may be the worst linemen in the NFL (yet continues to play every snap)- Mike Williams is not a "big problem".

MW had issues in HS. He had issues in Tampa. But sure, it's gotta be the coach.

You've clearly got your opinion, I'll keep mine. I am really having a hard time coming up with anything that is out of the ordinary with Mike Williams. He had academic issues in 2008 and was suspended for the season. I suspect that would happen at Alabama all the time if they cared. In 2009 he quit the team but does anyone know what actually took place at all? 2010 arrested for DUI and demonized only to find that he wasn't DUI and the charges were dropped. Maybe DWB would have been a better charge. There is a pending misdemeanor charge from last December that is left to deal with but that is, again, about as serious as what? Marcell and Jerry racing? Tampa management had a hard time because he was a rapper and he put crap online that they couldn't control and didn't focus on football enough while on IR. That sounds pretty trumped up to me. How focused is Kiko right now? is he studying film daily? I just don't see where he is such an off the field issues guy that it should be a problem. How did that 90s Cowboys team work if these issues are enough to demonize and jettison someone in the NFL?

Edited by Chimp

Report: Bills' Mike Williams on Giants' trade radar

http://www.nfl.com/n...nts-trade-radar

From the article:

"As if that wasn't prohibitive enough for a player who was a healthy scratch in Week 6 because the team needed special teams help, Bills general manager Doug Whaley is seeking value commensurate to a No. 1 receiver in return for Williams.

"If he gets me compensation worthy of a No. 1 receiver, which he claimed he is," Whaley said, "then we would entertain it."

We can't imagine any team shelling out in excess of $6 million and draft picks for a disgruntled wide receiver with eight catches, 142 yards and well-established character concerns."

I would be shocked it Whaley got #1 receiver value for him... but I also would be shocked if Whaley sticks to that demand...

Edited by Buftex

From the article:

"As if that wasn't prohibitive enough for a player who was a healthy scratch in Week 6 because the team needed special teams help, Bills general manager Doug Whaley is seeking value commensurate to a No. 1 receiver in return for Williams.

"If he gets me compensation worthy of a No. 1 receiver, which he claimed he is," Whaley said, "then we would entertain it."

We can't imagine any team shelling out in excess of $6 million and draft picks for a disgruntled wide receiver with eight catches, 142 yards and well-established character concerns."

I would be shocked it Whaley got #1 receiver value for him... but I also would be shocked if Whaley sticks to that demand...

Trading Mike Williams would enormously shortsighted given the demonstrated fragility of one Marquise Goodwin. The Bills should be exploring ways to get MW more involved in gameplans in the interest of winning instead of trading him away.