Ebola

Tolstoy

Obama Hugs Ebola-Free Nurse: ‘Let’s Give a Hug for the Cameras.’

Good thing he "doesn't believe in photo-ops" :doh:

In his defense, it's an attempt to belay the American people's fears of catching Ebola from people who've recovered from it.

A typically ham-handed, clumsy, patronizingly overt attempt, of course. But I guess beers on the White House lawn were out of the question, as it's a bit chilly today (not to mention the White House lawn isn't exactly a secure location these days.)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebola is a blood borne pathogen which means it's spread much like HIV. Gotta have blood or semen/vaginal fluid involved. But the hemorrhagic fever component could blood taint most any bodily fluid thus the extra precautions.

But the bottom line is the patient has to have progressed to an advanced state of the disease before every bodily fluid is a serious risk. Not just a fever.

But hey, let's panic because if an infected person touches a doorknob or drinks from a water fountain then we're all going to catch it and die just like when HIV/aids first hit the limelight.

Family and friends of the guy who died from it in Texas have not shown to be infected and it's been close to 20 days based on the second ER visit.

http://ajnoffthechar...borne-pathogen/

"Ebola is a bloodborne pathogen. It’s spread in the same way as HIV, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C: when blood or other body fluids contaminate another person’s non-intact skin or mucous membranes. None of these diseases is spread by casual contact."

" Unlike for HIV or hep B or C infection, isolation precautions are implemented to prevent transmission of Ebola. This is because bloody secretions, vomit, and diarrhea are typical symptoms as the disease progresses. Because of the resulting probability of exposure to the patient’s blood or bloody secretions/excretions, both contact and droplet precautions are used (i.e., gown, gloves, mask, and eye protection) in order to place a barrier between the infected person’s secretions and the caregivers.

Airborne transmission has not been documented—however, because of the potential for aerosolization of blood or bloody secretions/excretions, most experts recommend airborne isolation precautions as well "

Edited by GaryPinC

But hey, let's panic because if an infected person touches a doorknob

People aren't panicking because they are afraid of touching a door knob. They're panicking because the people running the country have only exceeded at demonstrating complete incompetence about the subject.

Edited by LABillzFan

All you have to know about Ebola is that the only one in this Bills community we have that is worried about it: Donald Duckdog.

That tells you all the more important this thing is.

your ignorance about something as per usual tells me I'm on the right track to be concerned,

hahahaha

People aren't panicking because they are afraid of touching a door knob. They're panicking because the people running the country have only exceeded at demonstrating complete incompetence about the subject.

Uhhhh, no. If you lived in Cleveland you would realize otherwise:

http://www.people.com/article/anna-younker-bridal-shop-quarantine-ebola

""I had a customer ask me yesterday, 'Is my dress covered in Ebola?' " Younker says. "Someone told me that I should take all the dresses and burn them. Isn't that crazy?"

Even Younker's 10-year-old son, who had no contact with Vinson at all, can't escape the terrible stigma.

"There are parents calling my son's school saying they don't want him there," she says. "It's tough."

Ebola is a blood borne pathogen which means it's spread much like HIV. Gotta have blood or semen/vaginal fluid involved. But the hemorrhagic fever component could blood taint most any bodily fluid thus the extra precautions.

But the bottom line is the patient has to have progressed to an advanced state of the disease before every bodily fluid is a serious risk. Not just a fever.

But hey, let's panic because if an infected person touches a doorknob or drinks from a water fountain then we're all going to catch it and die just like when HIV/aids first hit the limelight.

Family and friends of the guy who died from it in Texas have not shown to be infected and it's been close to 20 days based on the second ER visit.

http://ajnoffthechar...borne-pathogen/

"Ebola is a bloodborne pathogen. It’s spread in the same way as HIV, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C: when blood or other body fluids contaminate another person’s non-intact skin or mucous membranes. None of these diseases is spread by casual contact."

" Unlike for HIV or hep B or C infection, isolation precautions are implemented to prevent transmission of Ebola. This is because bloody secretions, vomit, and diarrhea are typical symptoms as the disease progresses. Because of the resulting probability of exposure to the patient’s blood or bloody secretions/excretions, both contact and droplet precautions are used (i.e., gown, gloves, mask, and eye protection) in order to place a barrier between the infected person’s secretions and the caregivers.

Airborne transmission has not been documented—however, because of the potential for aerosolization of blood or bloody secretions/excretions, most experts recommend airborne isolation precautions as well "

Good post :thumbsup:

Something that concerns me Gary, and its something I don't think can accurately be predicted, is how Ebola could spread in combination with another illness, something even as simple as gum disease. I hear sneezing isn't contagious, but what If your gums bleed from a gum disease.Does a toothbrush then become another way to spread Ebola. Or how dangerous is a womans menstrual cycle, or a bleeding ulcer, or blood in your urine from something else in combination with Ebola. What about skin disease's.

The list goes on and on...

Edited by Donald Duck

I think the White House has a bowling alley and the Prez goofed up talking about it once. Maybe he can invite this doc and Kent over for a photo op and to show he really does love the WHBA.

Good post :thumbsup:

Something that concerns me Gary, and its something you nor I or anyone else can accurately predict is how Ebola could spread in combination with another illness, something even as simple as gum disease.I hear sneezing isn't contagious, but what If your gums bleed from a gum disease.Does a toothbrush then become another way to spread Ebola.

Or how dangerous is a womans menstrual cycle, or a bleeding ulcer, or blood in your urine from something else in combination with Ebola.

The list goes on and on...

You're right, anytime there is infected blood present there will be a risk. But your odds of contacting the bloody urine or menstrual fluid? Ulcer laced vomit, saliva?

Consider the guy who died in Texas, Thomas Eric Duncan. The only people who have gotten infected were 2 nurses treating him, even though it advanced for 3 days while he stayed with his fiancee and 3 other people. And it's now been more than 21 days for his family:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/us/thomas-duncan-had-a-fever-of-103-er-records-show.html?_r=0

The man, Thomas Eric Duncan, 42, had a high
— his temperature was 103 degrees — during his four-hour visit to the emergency room of Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 25, according to 1,400 pages of medical records that Mr. Duncan’s family provided to The Associated Press. Mr. Duncan reported severe pain, rating it an eight on a scale of one to 10. His fever was marked with an exclamation point in the hospital’s record-keeping system, The A.P. reported.

But the hospital sent Mr. Duncan home, even after learning that he had recently arrived from Africa.
He was prescribed
and was told to take Tylenol, then
he returned to the apartment where he was staying with his fiancée and three other people. He returned to the emergency room on Sept. 28
and was immediately placed in isolation in the hospital. He died of Ebola on Wednesday, the only person to die from the disease in the United States.

You're right, anytime there is infected blood present there will be a risk. But your odds of contacting the bloody urine or menstrual fluid? Ulcer laced vomit, saliva?

Consider the guy who died in Texas, Thomas Eric Duncan. The only people who have gotten infected were 2 nurses treating him, even though it advanced for 3 days while he stayed with his fiancee and 3 other people. And it's now been more than 21 days for his family:

http://www.nytimes.c...-show.html?_r=0

375]The man, Thomas Eric Duncan, 42, had a high
— his temperature was 103 degrees — during his four-hour visit to the emergency room of Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital on Sept. 25, according to 1,400 pages of medical records that Mr. Duncan’s family provided to The Associated Press. Mr. Duncan reported severe pain, rating it an eight on a scale of one to 10. His fever was marked with an exclamation point in the hospital’s record-keeping system, The A.P. reported.

375]
But the hospital sent Mr. Duncan home, even after learning that he had recently arrived from Africa.
He was prescribed
and was told to take Tylenol, then
he returned to the apartment where he was staying with his fiancée and three other people. He returned to the emergency room on Sept. 28
and was immediately placed in isolation in the hospital. He died of Ebola on Wednesday, the only person to die from the disease in the United States.

375]

Early detection and Quarantine are the two most important things we can do to fight Ebola.

There is no doubt once you become infected with Ebola, the later stages becomes much more contagious.

With such a small trial run here in the US, for lack of a better description, its not something we want to test over and over IMO.

Edited by Donald Duck

[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

There is no doubt once you become infected with Ebola, the later stages becomes much more contagious.

With such a small trial run here in the US, for lack of a better description, its not something we want to test over and over IMO.

So 5 people in how many millions have been affected? Wow. IIRC that many people got the p!ague a few years ago. No one panicked.

Babbling idiots like you fret over the plague. Look up the virus D68. That's much more impactful.

In your parents basement you have nothing to worry about. Sit in your hazmat suit and smoke up.

So 5 people in how many millions have been affected? Wow. IIRC that many people got the p!ague a few years ago. No one panicked.

Babbling idiots like you fret over the plague. Look up the virus D68. That's much more impactful.

In your parents basement you have nothing to worry about. Sit in your hazmat suit and smoke up.

I don't get the impression they are fretting.

Still who wants to deal w/it, the threat is there even if very, very slight and non-existant. It is in our thoughts. Say somebody pukes in a public setting, somebody has to clean it up. Of course, not saying it has Ebola in it... But the Genie is out of the bottle and the stupid thought will cross one's mind.

My daughter just got back from visiting Springfield and seeing the Lincoln House. I guess some kid hurled all over one section and they had to close that part down. The Ranger comes out and says: "Sorry, closed, we are cleaning up sickness." Oh my! LoL... Its hard not to flash to Ebola! I know, just joking... Same thing @ the amusement park (Cedar Point). We were about get into the flume and there was hurl all over the place. LMAO... I pointed to my wife and kids to let that cup pass. LoL... All well before the Ebola scare. This doesn't mean I am freaked out, just thinking about it (Ebola or something other nasty).

Anyway, now that the Genie is out of the bottle , you can't help to flash to the danger of dealing with somebody's public puke or what ever fluid they expel. It's hard to come into contact w/it, but as I pointed out above, it's possible. Somebody will have to deal/with it.

I know it is irrational to think about it and nothing will happen... But the thought is there.

Duck why the hell do you respond to my post then delete it? I know you never have anything worth saying but don't bother responding only to delete it. I can still see that you respond

I don't Get the impression they are fretting.

Still who wants to deal w/it, the threat is there even if very, very slight and non-existant. It is in our thoughts. Say somebody pukes in a public setting, somebody has to clean it up. Of course, not saying it has Ebola in it... But the Genie is out of the bottle and the stupid thought will cross one's mind.

My daughter just got back from visiting Springfield and seeing the Lincoln House. I guess some kid hurled all over one section and they had to close that part down. The Ranger comes out and says: "Sorry, closed, we are cleaning up sickness." Oh my! LoL... Its hard not to flash to Ebola! I know, just joking... Same thing @ the amusement park (Cedar Point). We were about get into the flume and there was hurl all over the place. LMAO... I pointed to my wife and kids to let that cup pass. LoL... All well before the Ebola scare. This doesn't mean I am freaked out, just thinking about it (Ebola or something other nasty).

Anyway, now that the Genie is out of the bottle , you can't help to flash to the danger of dealing with somebody's public puke or what ever fluid they expel. It's hard to come into contact w/it, but as I pointed out above, it's possible. Somebody will have to deal/with it.

I know it is irrational to think about it and nothing will happen... But the thought is there.

The only threat is the imagination. The only worry with this right now is the Gov letting people in who are infected and they are stupid enough to do that! Edited by jboyst62