Does Duke Williams deserve his own thread?

The fact that he was jogging while the ball was in the air is inexcusable. His saving grace may be that he has been solid on special teams, other than that, his play on that TD is a borderline cut-able offence.

Edited by DaBills51

Duke also made about three very good plays. The play he made knocking the ball away from Gronk which was overturned was a tremendous play. The TD he gave up was horrendous for sure. But he had some decent plays too. And a couple very nice ones. He's not ready for such a big role against a team like the Pats with Brady and Gronk and Edelman. But he is not someone that just sucks.

Duke Williams always seemed better suited for SS to me. He is a heavy hitter and solid against the run.

He made some absolutely inexcusable mistakes, but why in the hell did he ever get matched with Gronk?

Does that "SS" refer to the Schutzstaffel or "Strong Safety" ???

Wasn't sure.

Duke also made about three very good plays. The play he made knocking the ball away from Gronk which was overturned was a tremendous play. The TD he gave up was horrendous for sure. But he had some decent plays too. And a couple very nice ones. He's not ready for such a big role against a team like the Pats with Brady and Gronk and Edelman. But he is not someone that just sucks.

I dunno - you are SUPPOSED to make the occasional play, and I'm not giving any gold stars out for the occasional random tackle. On the Gronk play, he was beaten (like most every other play), and Gronk should have held onto it. He just never had a good grasp. Overall, I thought Williams was absolutely horrible in pass coverage -- Justin Rogers-level bad--and pass coverage is the main part of his job description. He was abused all game. I honestly think that he doesn't have the basic instincts an NFL DB needs to play adequately. Say what you will about McKelvin - he really does know how to turn around and avoid PI.

Yes he does. The final patriots touchdown Duke Williams completely took the play off. If he ran he would have stopped the TD. That is a bench-able offence IMO

terrible game.

I just saw the replay of the TD to LaFell. It's clear that Leodis is passing him off to the deep safety, but WILLIAMS IS JOGGING!! NO HUSTLE AT ALL!! I haven't seen a play that bad by a Bill since last preseason when Da'Rick stood there and watched the fumble-6 against the Colts.

Does that "SS" refer to the Schutzstaffel or "Strong Safety" ???

Wasn't sure.

That's not wrong.

Actually in 35 years of watching the NFL, College, CFL or whatever football you can name. I have rarely seen such blatantly stupid pass interference. He doesnt turn around to the ball = pretty stupid. But shoving the guy in the back before the ball is even close? epically inept!!!

The Bills have mastered the art of being epically inept, for over four decades now. Haven't you noticed before today?

I dunno - you are SUPPOSED to make the occasional play, and I'm not giving any gold stars out for the occasional random tackle. On the Gronk play, he was beaten (like most every other play), and Gronk should have held onto it. He just never had a good grasp. Overall, I thought Williams was absolutely horrible in pass coverage -- Justin Rogers-level bad--and pass coverage is the main part of his job description. He was abused all game. I honestly think that he doesn't have the basic instincts an NFL DB needs to play adequately. Say what you will about McKelvin - he really does know how to turn around and avoid PI.

Gronk is unstoppable against the very best players in the league. I'm not saying at all that Duke had a good game. He had s bad one, and that TD was terrible. But he really did make several good plays, and that one against Gronk I referenced was excellent as I recall watching the replay. A couple of his better plays were on ST too and not in the backfield. I thought Leodis had a worse game than Duke.

Gronk is unstoppable against the very best players in the league. I'm not saying at all that Duke had a good game. He had s bad one, and that TD was terrible. But he really did make several good plays, and that one against Gronk I referenced was excellent as I recall watching the replay. A couple of his better plays were on ST too and not in the backfield. I thought Leodis had a worse game than Duke.

ST is where he belongs. I'm not talking about ST. I'm talking about safety. I hit "rewind" all game to watch him when I could, and he was either covering someone poorly or lost. On the first LaFell TD, he was completely lost and his inability to set up properly blew up the whole play (at least that's how it looked to me). He really, really sucked today, and while Gronk is good, it just so happens that Brady had his best game in a couple of years today.

ST is where he belongs. I'm not talking about ST. I'm talking about safety. I hit "rewind" all game to watch him when I could, and he was either covering someone poorly or lost. On the first LaFell TD, he was completely lost and his inability to set up properly blew up the whole play (at least that's how it looked to me). He really, really sucked today, and while Gronk is good, it just so happens that Brady had his best game in a couple of years today.

I will just agree with you if you did indeed watch a bunch of plays on replay. I trust your judgement . I haven't seen it like that and I may well agree with you when I do, I just remember watching the game live with a few guys who really know football that Duke made a few very nice plays despite that awful TD he gave up. Sometimes as you said, when you watch the replay a couple times you realize how good or how bad a player plays. I will trust your assessment here.