Bills vs. Patriots officiating thread

Orton's Arm

Bills make a 3rd down stop in the 1st QTR, Hughes pats his guy on the helmet for a good play, ref thinks it was a Cheat, so we get a 15-yard unsportsmanlike, 1st down Cheats. Luckily that call only cost us mo, not points, as Gostkowski yakked it after a bad snap.

That could be in the running for worst call I have ever seen in the NFL period!! absolutely insane!! But as others have mentioned, good teams win despite being screwed over by the officials. They really should be calling these guys on their mistakes. Make a dumb call and your rating as an official goes down. Make a few terrible calls and you dont work games anymore.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills make a 3rd down stop in the 1st QTR, Hughes pats his guy on the helmet for a good play, ref thinks it was a Cheat, so we get a 15-yard unsportsmanlike, 1st down Cheats. Luckily that call only cost us mo, not points, as Gostkowski yakked it after a bad snap.

+1

The secondary was pathetic today. The PI penalty that Williams took was pure panic and stupid. If Buffalo wants to win, need to cut down on the obvious stuff and get better in covering the air games. Spiller was irrelevant and made a lot of dumb mistakes that cost us, the fumble before the half was just sure idiocy.

Having to play the officials also does not help the cause any. Pretty sad when NE WRs are allowed to push DBs to the ground to "create separation" and not get flagged. Like others, it wouldn't be so bad if these kinds of things were consistently called but they aren't. The Hughes penalty is in response to the NFLs new zero tolerance policy concerning domestic abuse.

of course not, but sometimes is very hard to play the same game with a set of different rules.

Very true. And it's possible that some of the calls could have changed the game. I hate blaming officials but sometimes it's egregious. Until we are good we are not going to get the benefit of the doubt. The biggest play may have been the call that was a fumble that was called down. I don't blame the officials at all because live and for the first three replays it looked like he was down. On the fourth look, it was a clear fumble and the Bills would have had the ball.

The Hughes call was heinous.

The secondary was pathetic today. The PI penalty that Williams took was pure panic and stupid. If Buffalo wants to win, need to cut down on the obvious stuff and get better in covering the air games. Spiller was irrelevant and made a lot of dumb mistakes that cost us, the fumble before the half was just sure idiocy.

Having to play the officials also does not help the cause any. Pretty sad when NE WRs are allowed to push DBs to the ground to "create separation" and not get flagged. Like others, it wouldn't be so bad if these kinds of things were consistently called but they aren't. The Hughes penalty is in response to the NFLs new zero tolerance policy concerning domestic abuse.

Not funny, but funny.

I guess you liked being !@#$ed by the refs, carry on.

http://www.nfl.com/n...f7-818cbb434253

Thanks. I was at the game, and was dying to see if there was more to it than what we saw. Nope.

Fifteen yard penalty and first down when it would have been fourth. No discretion to make sure you are getting the call right on such a significant down.

But, some people are cool with that.

Self-rightous back rubbers who honestly say that "good teams overcome bad officiating" just simply don't understand football. Can it happen, sure? Does it happen, of course. But this is a league where the difference between teams is so small. Penalties that give teams extra sets of downs, tons or yards, or minus tons of yards have an enormous impact on the game. When it happens continuously, it's almost impossible to overcome.

Thanks. I was at the game, and was dying to see if there was more to it than what we saw. Nope.

Fifteen yard penalty and first down when it would have been fourth. No discretion to make sure you are getting the call right on such a significant down.

But, some people are cool with that.

That's. My biggest beef. The officials know these things. They knew the Bills had stopped them and after the play would give the Pats a first down. It's different, to me at least, if that call is made in a different situation. That is just giving them a first down they didn't deserve. Now, granted, there is an argument that if it's a penalty it's a penalty and refs should not make that distinction. But the fact is, they do it all the time. That was called because the little unnecessary shove by Hughes a play or two before was not called. They should not have awarded the Pats a first down though. That was weak.

Self-rightous back rubbers who honestly say that "good teams overcome bad officiating" just simply don't understand football. Can it happen, sure? Does it happen, of course. But this is a league where the difference between teams is so small. Penalties that give teams extra sets of downs, tons or yards, or minus tons of yards have an enormous impact on the game. When it happens continuously, it's almost impossible to overcome.

Dead serious question: what does calling me a back rubber mean?

+1

The officiating was not good but they were certainly not the reason the Bills lost today and anyone saying so is just looking for an excuse instead of the obvious which is Bills are still not a very good team and are lucky to be 3-3

Edited by Max997

You're bringing up the comeback game? Wow. That's one call in the Bills favor 22 years ago.

Seriously, pre-internet and it was a 1st&10 play no less. Bringing that one up ran its course fifteen years ago after the numerous garbage calls in the 1st half of the Titans game.

Great post TC in St. Louis.

+1.

I thought our o-line got away some pretty key holds today but on the other end there were some absurd calls that hurt us. Two offensive PI's on the same drive were hideously bad: Sammy called for a pick when he ran into two defenders just simply running his route then Woods barely touches a defender and gets called for a push-off (made worse by the fact that Edelman blatantly shoves Mckelvin and nothing is called on him). I won't even go into whatever the heck they called Hughes for on that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

While I feel like those should be mentioned, at the end of the day, it was our own mistakes that killed us. The three turnovers in the first half, particularly CJ's fumble with 6 seconds left. Then giving them the sideline pass on the next play knowing that's what they would be doing to get into closer field goal range. While they did outplay us in the second half I feel like those first half mistakes snowballed into the second half. The Pats were just, as usual, better than us.

It's tough enough being a Bills fan.

Reading the incessant whining that somehow it's the ref's fault that the Bills lose every season is pathetic.The idea that anyone believes that the refs favor some teams at the expense of others is so stupid that it is almost beyond belief.

Switch qbs and you get a different result.

I don't know that I have ever seen a qb freeze more when he is under a rush than Orton. He doesn't even attempt to evade the defense. He just tenses his body for the hit. Sadly, he is still far better than EJ.

And people, not you specifically, complain about this week in and week out. Every single game, win or lose. And they don't understand the game of football (or any other sport) either. There were bad calls against both teams, just like there are every single game in the NFL. It gets tiresome hearing the same thing every week. Just think for a moment, how likely is it that the Bills get screwed by the zebras every single game? Yet there are some who let their inner homer get the best of them and think this happens.

I will say though, that having this thread will end up being a really good thing if it keeps "the refs screwed the Bills" comments out of all the other threads.

Yes, the officiating was very bad today. The calls in particular (Hughes, Watkins, Moore) were horrendous.

The worst part is that the officials are NOT why we lost. Buffalo was poorly prepared right from the start and even worse in the second half. The players and coaches have done soul searching to do after that performance.