Eric Wood fires back at Jerry Sullivan

5 Wide

Talent wise though, I believe Sullivan is correct. Wood is an average, serviceable center, but he is in no way one of the best centers in the league skill wise. What I do love about him though, is his attitude and leadership. Those categories you cannot say Wood is overrated in.

Trust me, this is not a view shared by personnel people around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you elaborate?

its already been mentioned in the thread...Wood is highly thought of around the league by both front offices and by players that go against him...the guy is a solid NFL center and gets the respect he warrants from them....

now hack writers and nerds on message boards, THEY criticize because they are ignorant

Sully is a guy who often criticized Kelly, Hasek and others on the regular. He takes the negative spin on anything and everything as much as he can because it is his "Schtick." I don't read his stuff unless someone on here recommends it. It's usually useless finger-pointing.

Saw that and thought it was awesome of Wood to do that...if you're going to criticize the play of a particular player, be man enough to include him so he can respond when possible....articles written for a publication don't allow for such dialogue, but in the Twitter-verse, no reason not to...unless, you'd rather they not notice or be forced to make a compelling statement with facts and persuasive argument rather than just throwing it out there and hoping people accept your bullsh*t without question....and in this case, that is EXACTLY what such a statement truly is...utter, bullsh*t

Edited by BigBuff423

its already been mentioned in the thread...Wood is highly thought of around the league by both front offices and by players that go against him...the guy is a solid NFL center and gets the respect he warrants from them....

now hack writers and nerds on message boards, THEY criticize because they are ignorant

He's correct--Wood is very highly though of around the NFL.

Here's the example I always point to when the subject comes up, as it's the closest thing you're going to get to a consensus statement on the matter:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82965009/article/nfl-podium-awards-jahri-evans-headlines-offensive-linemen

There was a long list of candidates for this last spot on the podium. The offensive and defensive line coaches that I spoke with were very high on Ravens guard Marshal Yanda. Another name that kept popping up was a bit of a sleeper on the national scene: Bills center Eric Wood.

Straight from the coaches' mouths.

Could you elaborate?

Not something I'm interested in doing. Anything posted by an anonymous forum member is usually, perhaps rightfully, taken with a huge bolder of salt and I'm OK with that. But I learned a long time ago around here that it's just not worth it as the discussions tend to devolve. I'll only say that I trust those I've spoken to about Wood over the years going back to his junior year in college. He's always been well respected at the position. I'll also say they wouldn't give Jerry Sullivan the time of day.

GO BILLS!!!

Talent wise though, I believe Sullivan is correct. Wood is an average, serviceable center, but he is in no way one of the best centers in the league skill wise. What I do love about him though, is his attitude and leadership. Those categories you cannot say Wood is overrated in.

Take a look at the block that Wood threw on Jackson's long run in overtime against Chicago - (wgr had a nice clip of it on their website) he was blocking the NT and with one hand punched blocked the MLB who was rushing through the gap to get to Jackson. Wood destroyed the MLB while maintaining his block on the NT

It was a hell of a play - without that block Jackson does not run the ball to the 1yard line - He would have be dropped in the back field for a loss.

Maybe Wood can take some of that fire and put it into his shotgun snap practice.

Indeed! First one in how many hundreds/thousands of snaps? Guy's a fricken slacker if there ever was one!

GO BILLS!!!

retweet that to Jerry.

It would be a waste of time. All Sully can see of Wood's play is the botched snap. I'd say I was amazed at Sully's lack of insight into the game, but I actually fully expect it from him. His ENTIRE career has lent itself to a limited understanding of the game; actually his career is entirely derived from that limited insight.

GO BILLS!!!