Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't one of the people who voted against him after the game....I voted against it well before the game and stand by it. The Bills are still not a team who can afford doling out multiple first round picks for any position... When you watch - do they pass the eyeball test to you? Let's be honest, we have glaring NEEDS at QB, G, and TE.

That said, for ANY team, the only position worth multiple first rounders is the QB position. No knock on Sammy, he's a great rookie and has HOF potential....I just don't see the WR position as one worthy of multiple first rounders.

3 people have voted against the Watkins trade since the game ended....please step forward and explain your case....

I am not one of them, but Watkins still hasn't done anything to justify being the #4 overall pick, let alone being worth that plus a pick next year. He isn't even clearly the top rookie wide receiver. He is a nice player. He may very well be a hall of famer some day. If we are going by today's performances, we should have signed Golden Tate (10 catches 154 yards, 1 TD) and use the #9 pick on Zack Martin, and had next years #1 in our pocket that maybe we could use to trade up with for a better QB.

But hey since we can put up 17 points on the powerful Vikings defense, I guess we are set on offense.

I wasn't one of the people who voted against him after the game....I voted against it well before the game and stand by it. The Bills are still not a team who can afford doling out multiple first round picks for any position... When you watch - do they pass the eyeball test to you? Let's be honest, we have glaring NEEDS at QB, G, and TE.

That said, for ANY team, the only position worth multiple first rounders is the QB position. No knock on Sammy, he's a great rookie and has HOF potential....I just don't see the WR position as one worthy of multiple first rounders.

Since the year 2000, tell me which two guys you would rather have than Sammy Watkins.

Erik Flowers and Nate Clements.

Nate Clements and Mike Williams OT

Mike Williams and Willis MaGahee

Willis MaGahee and Lee Evans

Lee Evans and JP Losman

JP Losman and Donte Whitner'

Donte Whitner and John McCargo

John McCargo and Marshawn Lynch

Marshawn Lynch and Leodis McKelvin

Leodis Mckelvin and Aaron Maybin

Aaron Maybin and Eric Wood

Eric Wood and CJ Spiller

CJ Spiller and Marcel Dareus

Marcel Dareus and Stephon Gilmore

Stephon Gilmore and EJ Manuel

He's won 3 games for us by himself this so far. If that gets us from 6-10 to 9-7 and the playoffs, then I think you might be seeing the exception to the rule.

I am not one of them, but Watkins still hasn't done anything to justify being the #4 overall pick, let alone being worth that plus a pick next year. He isn't even clearly the top rookie wide receiver. He is a nice player. He may very well be a hall of famer some day. If we are going by today's performances, we should have signed Golden Tate (10 catches 154 yards, 1 TD) and use the #9 pick on Zack Martin, and had next years #1 in our pocket that maybe we could use to trade up with for a better QB.

But hey since we can put up 17 points on the powerful Vikings defense, I guess we are set on offense.

typically you don't judge these things on one day's performance. If Tate was a #1 WR Seattle would have paid him or he wouldn't have signed as the #2 in detroit.

I agree with everything you said and voted the same way before and would again after the game. It is just too early. The problem with the pick is that no one can be sure he will be "the guy" we all hope he turns out to be. At the time of the draft it was a big gamble. I'm starting to get very hopeful he will be "the guy". If he is HoF or even PB, I would rescind and vote yes. HoF or PB guys are few and far between, However, he may not get there and the Bills do have too many holes to fill. He does drop a lot of catch-able balls like the back shoulder TD in the 1st half. Today, I am optimistic it was a great trade and pick.

Bust!

- is anyone calling him a bust? The question is, is he worth two 1st round picks on a team with as many needs as the Bills have. I say no WR is worth two first rounders, let alone one of them in the top 5. Sammy is like - A BMW M3....amazing car...but not something I would pay $200K for.

Since the year 2000, tell me which two guys you would rather have than Sammy Watkins.

Lee Evans and JP Losman

Eric Wood and CJ Spiller

CJ Spiller and Marcel Dareus

Marcel Dareus and Stephon Gilmore

Stephon Gilmore and EJ Manuel

Dont know this is fair - what if I get Kelvin Benjamin this year and stud QB next year or The O-Lineman Dallas took this year and a stud WR or QB next year. I see what you are trying to say, but the book of could have's for next year is unwritten....

He's won 3 games for us by himself this so far. If that gets us from 6-10 to 9-7 and the playoffs, then I think you might be seeing the exception to the rule.

No, sorry. He did not win three games by himself. He was a star no doubt, but he doesn't catch a short TD without Hogan's catch or Chandler's catch on 4th down. And the guy who threw those balls helped too. The D deserves some praise especially late in the game. Won by himself? Nope!

- is anyone calling him a bust? The question is, is he worth two 1st round picks on a team with as many needs as the Bills have. I say no WR is worth two first rounders, let alone one of them in the top 5. Sammy is like - A BMW M3....amazing car...but not something I would pay $200K for.

Dont know this is fair - what if I get Kelvin Benjamin this year and stud QB next year or The O-Lineman Dallas took this year and a stud WR or QB next year. I see what you are trying to say, but the book of could have's for next year is unwritten....

The point is, first round picks are 50-50 across the league. Watkins was a 95-5 to be very good and 50-50 to be a star. The Bills didnt have more than one stars, maybe Mario. Dareus is becoming one. You cannot win without stars.

Lee Evans and JP Losman

Eric Wood and CJ Spiller