Watkins trade revisited

Watkins trade revisited   

396 members have voted

1. 1. With what we know now would you make the same trade for Watkins?

• Yes, he's worth it
    • No, I would rather the pick

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait til at least after the bye to vote, but I've gone from being dead set against it to leaning in favor of it.

That's a great response from someone dead set against it. Kudos. We are all just fans and we are wrong about players and moves all the time. The best talent evaluators in the game are wrong all the time. And it's possible you will never believe it was worth it. But right now that's a good response.

Watkins best play and catch pretty much single-handedly won us the game (with an assist from Dan Carpenter.

Watkins second best catch and play was phenomenal one hander.

Watkins third best play was vastly underrated, reaching behind him late in the game that was a very good catch for 22 yards.

Watkins fourth best play was a sneaky and tough lunge with the ball for a first down that looked like he would be two yards short on third down.

Watkins fifth best play was a nifty pattern and catch for a14 yard first down.

Watkins sixth best play was a short catch that he eluded his guy right on him and danced along the sidelines for a first down.

He's a tremendous player.

THIS

I think Sammy will have a great career and hope it is all in the Buffalo BILLS uniform, but I didn't like giving up that much in the first place and now, I just think the BILLS could have used Odell Beckham just as much to this point and kept the 2015 1st Round pick....JMO

When I heard about the trade up I was so upset. I never wanted Watkins at the time. I was like others that thought his skills wouldn't translate to the NFL. That he wasn't tall enough to be a dominant #1. That he couldn't run routes that an NFL WR could succeed at.

It was someone after the draft that told me the best comparison to Sammy. They told me I should think of Larry Fitzgerald. They couldn't have been more correct. From the first week of training camp to week 5 of the season this kid has been amazing.

A friend of mine texted me the other day while watching the game, after Sammy made a couple amazing catches:

"Watching Sammy is like playing madden and it glitches where one minute the ball is out of reach and the next thing you know it's in his hands"

"I think Sammy is an alien"

Those 2 quotes are spot on. He is a freak. He does things that not only shouldn't be done, but it's confusing how they are done.

He dropped a few balls last week, but besides that his hands are like glue for the ball. I don't understand how some of those passes sunday stuck with him. Great trade, I don't think I would be as excited for Ebron, and who knows who we "could of" got next year. Hopefully it will be a high draft pick :beer: It certainly wouldn't have been low enough to get one of the "top qb's" that everyone thinks we would have had a chance at.

Edited by What a Tuel

When I heard about the trade up I was so upset. I never wanted Watkins at the time. I was like others that thought his skills wouldn't translate to the NFL. That he wasn't tall enough to be a dominant #1. That he couldn't run routes that an NFL WR could succeed at.

It was someone after the draft that told me the best comparison to Sammy. They told me I should think of Larry Fitzgerald. They couldn't have been more correct. From the first week of training camp to week 5 of the season this kid has been amazing.

A friend of mine texted me the other day while watching the game, after Sammy made a couple amazing catches:

"Watching Sammy is like playing madden and it glitches where one minute the ball is out of reach and the next thing you know it's in his hands"

"I think Sammy is an alien"

Those 2 quotes are spot on. He is a freak. He does things that not only shouldn't be done, but it's confusing how they are done.

he really does -- and thats why defenders were so far backed off him in college and they gave him the screens. they were in the "cant stop him, just try to contain him" defense.

he really does -- and thats why defenders were so far backed off him in college and they gave him the screens. they were in the "cant stop him, just try to contain him" defense.

I was against him at first before the draft and for about a week after the draft. I admitted right then and there after I watched him some more that I was wrong about him.

And I couldn't be more happy about being wrong.

I didn't like the trade at the draft and I still don't like it.

I expected Sammy to be a good WR and I think he's shown enough to prove that he will be. Great ?, it's very early to make that proclamation.

To me, it was too high a price to pay for that position. Teams don't trade up into the Top 5 and give up those picks to grab a WR for a reason. QB?, yes. DE?, maybe. Other positions, rarely.

Now, if Sammy turns out to be a difference maker like Calvin Johnson, and has a 10+ year career, I suspect I'll change my mind, but ask me now, it wasn't a good move.

Lastly, the ONLY way to evaluate the trade is to know where next year's pick falls, if it's a late 1st round pick, it changes the discussion, if it's a Top 10 pick, it's troubling. Especially for a franchise still searching for a franchise QB.

The big question is what we do with the money we save from not having the pick. Does it allow us to keep a player or two or go out and sign a blue chip veteran? If that's the case, then it's a good trade.

A great point, which is rarely, if ever brought up. Not sure exactly what the Bills salary cap situation will look like next off-season, but if they choose to re-sign Spiller (something that doesn't seem as certain as I thought it once was), Darues (a must, I say) and Jerry Hughes, they are going to need some extra cash dollars. Add to that, it might not be a bad idea for them to think about some more quality (not quantity) depth along the O-line...

Even if they had their #1 pick May, I am still not sure the Bills would be looking to draft a QB in the first round, again, in 2015. I think all the fretting and hand-wringing about this trade is rediculous...unless Watkins turns out to be a complete bust. And I don't think that will happen.

Edited by Buftex

I expected Sammy to be a good WR and I think he's shown enough to prove that he will be. Great ?, it's very early to make that proclamation.

To me, it was too high a price to pay for that position. Teams don't trade up into the Top 5 and give up those picks to grab a WR for a reason. QB?, yes. DE?, maybe. Other positions, rarely.

Now, if Sammy turns out to be a difference maker like Calvin Johnson, and has a 10+ year career, I suspect I'll change my mind, but ask me now, it wasn't a good move.

Lastly, the ONLY way to evaluate the trade is to know where next year's pick falls, if it's a late 1st round pick, it changes the discussion, if it's a Top 10 pick, it's troubling. Especially for a franchise still searching for a franchise QB.

you dont get to know where future picks are when you pull the trigger. clearly they were guessing it would be in the teens (or possibly 20s), and i think thats a fair assessment to use when making the deal.

yeah. You can compare him to Calvin Johnson all you want. But the facts are that Johnson might finish his career as the best WR in the history of the game when all is said and done. So comparing Sammy to that is unfair. But you could probably compare him to someone like Fitz, AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc...

yeah. You can compare him to Calvin Johnson all you want. But the facts are that Johnson might finish his career as the best WR in the history of the game when all is said and done. So comparing Sammy to that is unfair. But you could probably compare him to someone like Fitz, AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc...

Wasn't intending to single out Cal Johnson, just used him as example -- I'd be happy if he was Julio, Fitz or AJ just as well -- point was, he needs to be in the upper echelon of NFL WR's -- not good, but very good or great.

you dont get to know where future picks are when you pull the trigger. clearly they were guessing it would be in the teens (or possibly 20s), and i think thats a fair assessment to use when making the deal.

You don't. That's why said at outset of my post, at time of trade I didn't like it.