At this point, does anyone think we keep Spiller?

Big C

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

improved quite a bit in his 2nd season? Really?!? So from 200 yards to 500 yards is a big inprovement?

Man. I just don't get it.

Why is he a class act? Because we don't hear him in the media at all? That doesn't make him a class act. It just makes him quiet. 2 different things. But still, it's not like he's driving over Canadians, smoking weed in vehicles with loaded weapons. He's not having unprotected sex with 17 year olds. He's not outright saying the Bills should move to Toronto.

In all seriousness, I used to really like CJ. I never bought into his crazy fan club like everyone, but I really liked him and hoped he would succeed. Then I realized how much of a disappointment he was on a weekly basis. I realized how it's not about the few big plays he makes that ale a difference. It's lack of basic football intelligence that costs the team drives through every game. And those drives turn into punts which turn into being down in more games than were ahead. Of course it isn't all on CJ. But he's not helping. It's absolutely no different why we just benched EJ for Orton. It's not about the plays each player makes. It's about the ones that they don't make.

I'll say it again... Good players are just good. They don't use excuses. Fans don't need to use excuses. They take over games no matter what. No matter who they play. No matter who surrounds them. They are good no matter what.

You can say it again...and again...and again - like you have been for as far back as I can remember reading your posts about Spiller - it doesn't mean you are right. It is just your opinion and you are welcome to it. However, to me, your long standing dislike of Spiller (notwhithstanding your caveat about how you "used to like CJ") seems to be coloring your evaluation of him.

Mrags, seriously, though. How is he supposed to score if they take him out in those situations? He often gets them there!

yeah. Um... If the coaches also thought he was as good as everyone here does, he wouldn't be pulled in important or red zone situations.

You can say it again...and again...and again - like you have been for as far back as I can remember reading your posts about Spiller - it doesn't mean you are right. It is just your opinion and you are welcome to it. However, to me, your long standing dislike of Spiller (notwhithstanding your caveat about how you "used to like CJ") seems to be coloring your evaluation of him.

yeah. Again...

Facts are facts:

Spiller averages 755 yards a season

Spiller averages 3 TDs a season

The facts are, those numbers are not good. Not even close.

Again... Your, and everyone else's arguments here about how he is good are just excuses. Side, if he could just be healthy he's be good. If he didn't have to split carries, he's be good. If he didn't get pulled in the red zone situations he'd have more TDs. If he had a better line, he'd have more yards. If he had a good QB, the passing game would open up the running game. The excuses never end.

What if all you want. But the facts are that in 4+ seasons, he has not been good. Regardless of the situations. And that's all we can go by. Facts.

Have a good night.

You'd think a guy who gets two yards every carry except when he gets 30 would be the best goal line and short yardage back ever, huh?

yeah. Except my take on 2 yards every time he gets the ball is being nice. He often gets 0 yards or negative yards.

Its just a matter of money. He can contribute in a lot of ways. At this point @ 28 years old I think he stays simply because no one else offers him a big contract. BTW this discussion is way premature with 11 games left in the season

He contributes as someone who can break it on kickoffs if he ever gets chances to return them or as a receiver in the open field, which for some reason he rarely is. As a starting running back, he needs to be much more productive as a RUNNING back. He doesn't appear to know or understand how to do that. Also, it would help if he'd even attempt to block someone.

yeah. Um... If the coaches also thought he was as good as everyone here does, he wouldn't be pulled in important or red zone situations.

yeah. Again...

Facts are facts:

Spiller averages 755 yards a season

Spiller averages 3 TDs a season

The facts are, those numbers are not good. Not even close.

Again... Your, and everyone else's arguments here about how he is good are just excuses. Side, if he could just be healthy he's be good. If he didn't have to split carries, he's be good. If he didn't get pulled in the red zone situations he'd have more TDs. If he had a better line, he'd have more yards. If he had a good QB, the passing game would open up the running game. The excuses never end.

What if all you want. But the facts are that in 4+ seasons, he has not been good. Regardless of the situations. And that's all we can go by. Facts.

Have a good night.

And for that production we are paying 5 million plus for that.

With 3-4 wideouts and CJ as the only back he has averaged 6.7 YPC on 30 attempts. Wonder if Hackett even knows this?

Good point, Spiller is one injury riddled season removed from being an explosive offensive weapon. They did record the games from back then, I would assume.

The 2007 first round pick for the Buffalo Bills in the Jauron era didn't fit the scheme Chan Gailey was running in 2010 so the FO shipped him out for a 4th. Seattle is still loving that trade because they got a great, pro bowl RB for a measly 4th, and that was 4 years ago.

Now Nathaniel Hacker can't figure out how to get the most out of Spiller so I suppose here we go again in trading away an elite player for next to nothing, and if they can't resign him he walks just like Levitre, just like Byrd.

More wasted draft picks has been the culture under buddy Nix & Doug Whaley.

With 3-4 wideouts and CJ as the only back he has averaged 6.7 YPC on 30 attempts. Wonder if Hackett even knows this?

It was the offensive formation that allowed Spiller to do so well under Gailey. The 3-4 WR spread sets that made the defense commit to either extra DB's to cover the WR's which opened up the Bills run game. Then defenses would go back to the extra LBers to stop the run, and that opened up the passing game. This sort of thing seems to elude the current Bills OC.

Chan Gailey even admitted that both Spiller & Jackson should each be seeing 20 touches a game, and yet he wouldn't allow himself to stop calling passing plays.

We've seen this trend so many times, I'm shocked that fans don't eventually get hip to it.

If your only argument to support a player/coach is to make excuses about it being the fault of all the other players/coaches...then the player/coach just isn't that effective.

I have to agree with this. Not only in regard to CJ, but it is a good general statement. Good players will find a way to get it done.

Well according to mrags, that's because Spiller averaged 2 yards per carry on the first 29 carries and then ripped off a 143 yard run (while the defense was playing soft because the Bills were way behind) to get that 6.7 YPC on 30 carries....

General Manager Doug Whaley said in an interview on WGR Tuesday morning that he has had a sit-down meeting with Spiller's representatives and let them know that the Bills would like to continue the relationship.

"He's a playmaker, and we're trying to keep as many playmakers as possible" Whaley said, via the team.

http://profootballta...th-c-j-spiller/

He better start making plays

Trade him to Denver for their first, they want a Superbowl, picks don't matter to them.

The problem with Spiller is that he lacks vision. Even when there is a hole, he either makes the wrong cut or tries to bounce outside where there is nothing. The only way to make him productive is in the passing game. Get him the ball when he's already outside and let him use his speed. I agree that trying to run him between the tackles is fruitless.

I mean the guy averaged six yards per carry, he can run the ball. I see him the same way as I see Lesean McCoy who is also struggling with just 2.9 ypc this season. These guys need some solid run blocking and if they get it they are at the top of the league. Without it they just run into the line and get stuffed.

@NFLDraftBites: Chatter CJ Spiller available in trade. Few teams would be interested given amount injuries at position. Free Agent in offseason.

@NFLDraftBites: 1 thing Holding #Bills back is CJ Spiller's mentor to Sammy Watkins. Perspective is Bills pay Spiller until it's time extend Watkins in 2017

@NFLDraftBites: Chatter CJ Spiller available in trade. Few teams would be interested given amount injuries at position. Free Agent in offseason.

@NFLDraftBites: 1 thing Holding #Bills back is CJ Spiller's mentor to Sammy Watkins. Perspective is Bills pay Spiller until it's time extend Watkins in 2017

ugh. I really hope it doesn't take that long.