At this point, does anyone think we keep Spiller?

Big C

I love how you bash people for stating real problems with the team around Spiller. We have Syracuse's OC and a bad oline. How is McCoy doing this year with their banged up oline?

So, in one thread, you say Chip Kelly could make any RB great, and in another, you say McCoy is sucking this year with Chip Kelly. Double Standard on aisle 5.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people agree with you to some extent, but I don't think many (if any) have reached the point where they think Spiller is trash (which seems to be your view, but let me know if you think I'm wrong). I think he's a talented but limited player who has had one very good season out of five. I do think he's misused, but I say that without knowing how well he actually runs routes in the passing game.

we kind of agree.

First if all. People don't think he's trash yet because they haven't opened their eyes yet. They still get googlely over flashy things.

Second, I don't think his 1 season was very good. It was good. End of story.

Third, if he's misused, the only way to use him correctly would be in the passing game. So basically he's not a RB at all. And that's fine. Of much rather have CJ lining up at WR than freaking Hogan or Chandler.

Last, I don't think he's talented at all. I think he's fast. That's it. Unfortunately, in the NFL, speed means a lot less than it does in college. Speed in college can make you a star. In the NFL all it means is your fast. Bit if you can't catch as a WR, you lose a job. If you can't look for the ball as a DB, you lose your job. If you can't shed a block as a DE, you lose your job. So why as a RB that camt see the field properly, or have the right decisions when it comes to following blockers keeps his job. Not only that, keeps getting fed the ball when there are clearly other players at that position playing better than he is?

Let's ask this question, if Marrone saw it best to bench EJ for not playing well, how in the hell does he not bench a RB that gets 8 yards a game? Especially after your team gave up a 4th round pick for a RB, and picked up another in FA and both played well in camp and preseason. Why is that?

So, in one thread, you say Chip Kelly could make any RB great, and in another, you say McCoy is sucking this year with Chip Kelly. Double Standard on aisle 5.

Not shockingly, you missed the point. Kelly is an offensive genius but their oline is destroyed by injuries. McCoy is still a very good back but with a banged up oline, he is not nearly as effective. He is averaging 2.9 ypc because the oline is not good. It's a team game.

Not shockingly, you missed the point. Kelly is an offensive genius but their oline is destroyed by injuries. McCoy is still a very good back but with a banged up oline, he is not nearly as effective. He is averaging 2.9 ypc because the oline is not good. It's a team game.

Kelly is an offensive genius based on what? One fluke season? That offense is not sustainable in the NFL.

Kelly is an offensive genius based on what? One fluke season? That offense is not sustainable in the NFL.

I will give you that it is probably early to officially anoint him but the early results are pretty damn good. Check out Foles as a rookie and now. He is getting production out of everyone, including Riley the Racist. Their defense is awful but they are one of the best offenses in the NFL. I thought Kelly was overrated but I'd trade Marrone for him in a second.

So Kelly would dominate with Spiller only if he had his All-Pro O-line? What a genius coach!

I will give you that it is probably early to officially anoint him but the early results are pretty damn good. Check out Foles as a rookie and now. He is getting production out of everyone, including Riley the Racist. Their defense is awful but they are one of the best offenses in the NFL. I thought Kelly was overrated but I'd trade Marrone for him in a second.

Riley the Racist. Good one. Too early to tell re: Kelly vs. Marrone. I'm still happy they are where they are.

Uh...their offense has been terrible the last three games. They've been getting all their points from defense and special teams.

Also Foles is in his third year.

Jackson performs better with this offensive line, he should be the starter. CJ for change of pace and that is all. Keep him on kick return too.

I think he would be better in that complementary role anyway.

Oh and I don't think they resign him.

Edited by kobe808lak

Jackson performs better with this offensive line, he should be the starter. CJ for change of pace and that is all. Keep him on kick return too.

I think he would be better in that complementary role anyway.

Oh and I don't think they resign him.

makes too much sense.

After an uninspiring start to the season, Spiller easily had his worst game in as long as I remember. I know the Lions D is good, but I watched Fred get the tough yards like always and CJ go nowhere. He missed a crucial blitz pickup and nearly cost us a safety.

I know Bryce Brown is the alleged replacement for CJ, but the FO has expressed interest in keeping him. What are the odds now we keep CJ? Does anyone think we try to trade him? What is he worth?

I know this has been ongoing talk here at TSW, but this was the least inspiring performance I've seen from him in a long, long time. It can't just be Hackett.

Comparing CJ to Fred is not fair: Fred simply runs better between the tackles. CJ is better in space. The OC's inability to utilize CJ properly falls squarely on the OC and NOT CJ.

Gailey turned CJ into one of the biggest threats in the NFL - that's someone who knows what they have and properly utilize it.

Hackett has a Ferrari and is utilizing it like a Dodge Ram. That's on Hackett and it's my single biggest gripe with the guy.

Edited by bobobonators

Comparing CJ to Fred is not fair: Fred simply runs better between the tackles. CJ is better in space. The OC's inability to utilize CJ properly falls squarely on the OC and NOT CJ.

Gailey turned CJ into one of the biggest threats in the NFL - that's someone who knows what they have and properly utilize it.

Hackett has a Ferrari and is utilizing it like a Dodge Ram. That's on Hackett and it's my single biggest gripe with the guy.

yeah. We've all heard this one over an over against some point, you'll just have to concede that CJ just sucks and has horrible vision. It's not like were running Freddy like he Jerome Bettis or Shaun Alexander. It's simple vision and footwork that every NFL worthy RB should possess that CJ does not.

Name a starting NFL running back that can't run between the tackles and is only effective "in space."

Name a starting NFL running back that can't run between the tackles and is only effective "in space."

Sproles and Woodhead? My point is that why not implement Spiller more in the passing game with quick slants/screens as opposed to simply running him up the middle? I would forget the RB label and start thinking outside the box. He doesn't need to be a "starting NFL running back," but can still be a weapon on the offense as opposed to a nobody.

Woodhead was targeted 86 times in the passing game last year. Sproles 89. Spiller 40.

Sproles and Woodhead? My point is that why not implement Spiller more in the passing game with quick slants/screens as opposed to simply running him up the middle? I would forget the RB label and start thinking outside the box. He doesn't need to be a "starting NFL running back," but can still be a weapon on the offense as opposed to a nobody.

Woodhead was targeted 86 times in the passing game last year. Sproles 89. Spiller 40.

You mean the two guys behind McCoy and Mathews on the depth chart, and see limited snaps?

Perhaps that's because everytime Spiller is in the game on a passing down defenses blitz because they know he can't pick it up. Nah. That's not it.

I guess you missed the part about "STARTING" running back. Try again.

CJ wont be traded this year....to late to change teams systems, and with him up for renewal, he can sign anywhere. No trade value whatsoever.

Actually the perfect team to trade him to has already played the Bills and they need a RB - San Diego. Their OL coach used to be ours and he runs a scheme Spiller excels under.

Perhaps that's because everytime Spiller is in the game on a passing down defenses blitz because they know he can't pick it up. Nah. That's not it.

I guess you missed the part about "STARTING" running back. Try again.

I guess you missed the part where I said "he doesn't need to be a starting NFL RB".

You mean the two guys behind McCoy and Mathews on the depth chart, and see limited snaps?

Those two guys that are in the same spot as Spiller but yet still see 2x as many targets in the passing game.