At this point, does anyone think we keep Spiller?

Big C

Do you have empirical evidence that method is not as effective at producing scores in a game? Or is this just anecdotal? 5.0ypc is 5.0ypc anyway you slice it and dice it.

More empirical than CJ's low TD numbers? More empirical than CJ having 5 games last year with less than 3 YPC, and a 2-3 record? Or how about CJ having 7 games with 5 or greater YPC and going 2-5?

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller needs to be used the right way. Give him space and he is good as gone. Behind our OL he doesn't have a chance. Trade him to a team with a decent OL and he's AP. FJ is a better fit for our team right now. 3 yards and power forward for another. Love the guy! Chan knew how to use Spiller and get him some space. I wouldn't quite say he's situational, or one dimensional, but close....Decent OL and this team could go places...

I agree, I guess that puts me in the get him in space crowd. Watching Harvin tonight it seems as though it may not be as complicated as some might think. Is Harvin a special talent? Yes and I think CJ can be as well. Better blocking and better use of his talents is required.

Do you have empirical evidence that method is not as effective at producing scores in a game? Or is this just anecdotal? 5.0ypc is 5.0ypc anyway you slice it and dice it.

well. Let's try this.

1st and 10- run by CJ- 2 yards.

2nd and 8- Run by CJ- 2 yards.

3rd and 6- incomplete pass.

4th and 6- Punt

Repeat that 5 more times. CJ has an average of 2 yards a carry and 10 carries for 20 yards. We haven't made it across the 50 yard line all half. Then in the 3rd Quarter, the defense decides were probably in passing mode becaise were down by 14. They play more of a prevent defense and heavily defend the passing game. CJ rips off a 35 yard run. He gets his average to 5.0 for 55 yards total on 11 carries. Then goes right back to gaining 2 yard gains for the rest of the game.

If you don't see how that effects our offense... I have no idea why I'm being stupid enough to have this conversation.

improved quite a bit in his 2nd season? Really?!? So from 200 yards to 500 yards is a big inprovement?

Man. I just don't get it.

Why is he a class act? Because we don't hear him in the media at all? That doesn't make him a class act. It just makes him quiet. 2 different things. But still, it's not like he's driving over Canadians, smoking weed in vehicles with loaded weapons. He's not having unprotected sex with 17 year olds. He's not outright saying the Bills should move to Toronto.

In all seriousness, I used to really like CJ. I never bought into his crazy fan club like everyone, but I really liked him and hoped he would succeed. Then I realized how much of a disappointment he was on a weekly basis. I realized how it's not about the few big plays he makes that ale a difference. It's lack of basic football intelligence that costs the team drives through every game. And those drives turn into punts which turn into being down in more games than were ahead. Of course it isn't all on CJ. But he's not helping. It's absolutely no different why we just benched EJ for Orton. It's not about the plays each player makes. It's about the ones that they don't make.

I'll say it again... Good players are just good. They don't use excuses. Fans don't need to use excuses. They take over games no matter what. No matter who they play. No matter who surrounds them. They are good no matter what.

Improved quite a bit as in: going from 3.8ypc to 5.2ypc. CJ was only given 107 carries. Do you want him to rack up yards when he's on the sideline too?

well. Let's try this.

4th and 6- Punt

Repeat that 5 more times. CJ has an average of 2 yards a carry and 10 carries for 20 yards. We haven't made it across the 50 yard line all half. Then in the 3rd Quarter, the defense decides were probably in passing mode becaise were down by 14. They play more of a prevent defense and heavily defend the passing game. CJ rips off a 35 yard run. He gets his average to 5.0 for 55 yards total on 11 carries. Then goes right back to gaining 2 yard gains for the rest of the game.

If you don't see how that effects our offense... I have no idea why I'm being stupid enough to have this conversation.

That would be a great point if it ever happened even close to that.

well. Let's try this.

4th and 6- Punt

Lets try this

1st down: run for 4 yds

2nd down: run for 4yds

3rd down: pass incomplete

4th down: punt

or

1st down: pass incomplete

2nd down: run for 7yds

3rd down: run for 2yds (4.5 avg in 2 runs)

Your argument isn't empirical b/c i can play the same silly game as there are thousands of variables in a drive. 5.0ypc is 5.0ypc. End of story.

It's awesome to be able to consistently gain positive yardage on runs like freddie does - it's also frustrating when you can't have big plays.

2012 - one person in the NFL (AP) had more rushes for over 20 yards.

2013 - one person in the NFL (Alfred Morris) had more rushes for over 20 yards.

The Bills getting rid of Spiller would be like the Orioles getting rid of Nelson Cruz for not hitting enough singles.

You need a HR threat. It helps.

Yes but we have to stop running him up the middle. Get him in space

This times Google. Can't understand for the life of me why Hackett doesn't get him the ball in space. Not a linebacker on the planet can cover him in the flat and most safeties for that matter.

2012 - one person in the NFL (AP) had more rushes for over 20 yards.

2013 - one person in the NFL (Alfred Morris) had more rushes for over 20 yards.

The Bills getting rid of Spiller would be like the Orioles getting rid of Nelson Cruz for not hitting enough singles.

You need a HR threat. It helps.

Agreed, I wish some one would put together the total yards he's had that were called back by penalty this year..

Agreed, I wish some one would put together the total yards he's had that were called back by penalty this year..

how can you add that in if it doesn't count? How about the penalties where there was a holding call that sparked room for CJ to break a longer run?

Improved quite a bit as in: going from 3.8ypc to 5.2ypc. CJ was only given 107 carries. Do you want him to rack up yards when he's on the sideline too?

YPC is overrated. That's why QBs are never listed in that stat. Becaise they would lead the league. It happens when you don't have as any carries.

That would be a great point if it ever happened even close to that.

its closer than you imagine. Watch the games and you'll see.

Lets try this

1st down: run for 4 yds

2nd down: run for 4yds

3rd down: pass incomplete

or

1st down: pass incomplete

2nd down: run for 7yds

3rd down: run for 2yds (4.5 avg in 2 runs)

Your argument isn't empirical b/c i can play the same silly game as there are thousands of variables in a drive. 5.0ypc is 5.0ypc. End of story.

It's awesome to be able to consistently gain positive yardage on runs like freddie does - it's also frustrating when you can't have big plays.

yeah except my take on CJ is much closer than yours. Evidence to that is his league leading carries for under 2 yards a carry. No link but it's been out there for a few days now. Even the Buffalo Mews reported it the other day.

No. It's not. I went through every carry of his through the first four games. It happens the way you describe less than once a game.

how can you add that in if it doesn't count? How about the penalties where there was a holding call that sparked room for CJ to break a longer run?

YPC is overrated. That's why QBs are never listed in that stat. Becaise they would lead the league. It happens when you don't have as any carries.

I've seen every one of his carries in his career. I even went back one time a while back and typed every single carry he had in a few games to disprove the very point you're making. He doesn't have games of anything resembling 2-2-2-2-2-2-30. He had a lousy game on Sunday. No doubt. Although he had no holes.

Ok. I'm done arguing about this for a few days. At least until next week when were all dissapointed in him again. But I will end on this:

The fact are:

-He has an average of 755 rushing yards a season over his career.

-he has an average of 3 rushing TDs a season over his career.

These are the facts and they cannot be disputed.

Have fun with that.

Ok. I'm done arguing about this for a few days. At least until next week when were all dissapointed in him again. But I will end on this:

The fact are:

-He has an average of 755 rushing yards a season over his career.

-he has an average of 3 rushing TDs a season over his career.

These are the facts and they cannot be disputed.

Have fun with that.

755/season whilst sharing carries is phenomenal.

3 TDs/season when he is usually pulled in goal line situations makes sense.

why do you still comment on this stuff? Everyone knows that you always have something bad to say about CJ anyway...

why do you post? Everyone Knows you have nothing informative to say about anything anyway... Edited by mrags