EJ: "I want to be a different player... cut it loose."

johnwalter

I was struck by EJ's comment about "letting natural talent take over". Maybe I'm reading into it a bit but that might be a hint that he's not being allowed to play to his strengths and next time he gets a chance he will do things his own way a bit more.

He has made similar statements before and it means nothing. He can't just "let it rip" because he's never learned how to throw into tight windows or make timing throws. The offense at FSU didn't demand it, and for the Bills he's shown no ability other than the occasional deep ball to throw someone open. What he is comfortable doing is throwing balls to uncovered receivers and even then he's soft tossing it to ensure that he gets it there. He has mechanical flaws that just are not going to get fixed in a short period of time. And i highly doubt that he'll ever be that kind of player.

But if it means he's going to start running more and help the offense with his feet, I am all for it. He is zero threat right now when it comes to scaring the defense.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream goes like this...

Orton proves to be a good game manager and the Bills win (barely) the AFCE.

Next year, EJ's a new man - a strong, confident leader and a decisive, accurate passer. He's become so much better than Orton that he wins the starting job and the Bills cruise to the playoffs.

Next year, EJ's a new man - a strong, confident leader and a decisive, accurate passer. He's become so much better than Orton that he wins the starting job and the Bills cruise to the playoffs.

That be an ideal scenario as long as we improve our O-line next year, add a starting caliber TE. Also we might have to look for a replacement for Hughes who I can't see sticking around if he gets another double digit sack season.

Really? I don't have cable this year, so I'm out of touch, I guess. I've only seen the Bills games. No NFL or ESPN. No other teams highlights. And my FF teams all SUCK!

Imagine though, KO And EJ/FJ/CJ in the same backfield.

Two passers on the field at all times!

Sorry, probably the beer talkin.

rex said before the season he was considering using Vick in the wildcat. They do bring him into the game on occasion, but so far from what I've seen he just hands off. Probably setting up the big unveiling at RWS.

EJ: "I want to be a different player... cut it loose."

I took that as a shot to the coaches. like they were holding him back.

drilling in his head no turnovers (maybe he held back on some throws) and don't take so many hits (so he runs out of bounds instead of upfield).

That's kinda my interpretation as well. He's been playing timid and over thinking everything... trying to make sure he does everything that the coaches tell him. And, in the end, he needs to just needs to play. What's the old saying... don't forget to breath. Sometimes people get so focused on everything, they forget the simple stuff. It's encouraging that he seems to realize that and hopefully he learns from it.

He is a good guy. I hope he does great things.. for the Bills.

And these cheap shots from "fans", I just don't get. If you didn't like his play, well sit back and enjoy, you got your wish ..he's benched. But, why take cheap shots? He's still a Bill and he's still working hard every day to be a better player for our team. What more could you want from a player?

I like the concept but I don't know if the rest of this year will be enough. Not saying EJ can't do it but you can tell he's shell shocked and needs to find his game still.

Barring an injury or even worse play I don't expect EJ to get back on the field this year but if he can learn from the sideline (like he should have been his first year), I think he might surprise us next spring/fall.

Edited by The Wiz

In Ej's defense you could tell that the coaches were treating him as if he was still in college. It was like they had a freshman QB and were trying to groom him to be good in a couple years. Last year he was "just playing". This year it was like he was a puppet being controlled from the sidelines.

You could tell that was the case because they had him running out of bounds on 3rd down short of the first down instead of letting him sell his body for the first down. I bet if he was thrown into a similar situation that Thad was last year when he came to the Bills, then I think we might see a totally different EJ. He would have to just play and try to win and stop trying to learn how to perfectly execute specific plays.

Under the right situation he would probably be a pretty exciting quarterback to watch.

Good kid, wants to do well no one ever doubted that. Bottom line...Buffalo shouldn't have drafted him, he isn't a starter in the NFL. Look no knock against the kid, but he isn't the answer. He has always WANTED to let it rip etc. but he just can't. Has had many opportunities to do so, many open WR's and clean pockets. He just doesn't have the head for the game.

Well said. He was precisely the same at FSU, though many here don't want to hear that.

Towing the company line, saying the right things, lighting fires, cut it loose.

If it helps hitting a coffin corner with the game on the line then great. Especially since it would be a first.

Stevie? Panthers? .. Nevermind

That would be ideal. He locked on guys and it seemed his throws were determined before the snap such as the Watt int. When the Bills haven't made the playoffs in over a decade it's hard to be patient. Through no fault of his own fans are all sick of the same old same old.

I don't know if they can teach accuracy which is his biggest flaw.

I think it would be more ideal if Orton turned out to be a great late career quarterback like Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson. I don't want EJ back unless he plays like an above average quarterback or unless Orton proves to suck even worse. But we need better QB play than we have gotten the last couple years. They gotta find a way.

I think it would be more ideal if Orton turned out to be a great late career quarterback like Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson. I don't want EJ back unless he plays like an above average quarterback or unless Orton proves to suck even worse. But we need better QB play than we have gotten the last couple years. They gotta find a way.

Don't forget Kurt Warner too. He had a late career renaissance no doubt.

All the positive EJ talk is just wishful thinking at this point, until he shows that he has morphed into an entirely different player.

That is unlikely to happen.

If EJ becomes a great late career QB like those two it won't be with the Bills. Now if the Bills wanna do football fans a favor and take Gruden off MNF and hire him as the next head coach I'd give it a shot.

Towing the company line, saying the right things, lighting fires, cut it loose.

If it helps hitting a coffin corner with the game on the line then great. Especially since it would be a first.

Yup. Saying the right things never has been an issue for Manuel. Too bad he doesn't have it on the field because he is an easy person to root for.

Did he do something to you?

I understand being critical of a player and not liking their performance but you just seem like he screwed your daughter and took your wallet.

I like Manuel, don't like his game right now. I don't care for Orton but whoever the qb is, I'm hoping they succeed.

I like EJ as a person too but he sucks as a QB and IMHO will never be any better than he already is, as I see numerous flaws in just about every aspect of his game. People praying for his return after some time off and learning are really reaching, again IMO. Why keep wishing for something that seems like a unrealistic goal, I don't get it. He's just another terrible 1st round bust, IMO. Why the love affair with the guy? Why do you dislike Orton? I don't think you even know why you dislike Orton other than you really like EJ and he is taking EJs job. Orton is a decent QB who has been done dirty a few times and was the beneficiary of idiot egotistical coaching. Still don't get the hate but whatever.

To say the next time you start you're gonna be a man, let it rip and play without fear is effectively saying he played like a woman, didn't throw with authority and was scared. Pretty ugly indictment of himself. Don't think you can change that trait, either.

Lol if you had been doing that all along EJ instead of being a timid little B word you'd be starting Sunday

Mods....how in the world is this "poster" allowed to be here after a comment like that

I like EJ as a person too but he sucks as a QB and IMHO will never be any better than he already is, as I see numerous flaws in just about every aspect of his game. People praying for his return after some time off and learning are really reaching, again IMO. Why keep wishing for something that seems like a unrealistic goal, I don't get it. He's just another terrible 1st round bust, IMO. Why the love affair with the guy? Why do you dislike Orton? I don't think you even know why you dislike Orton other than you really like EJ and he is taking EJs job. Orton is a decent QB who has been done dirty a few times and was the beneficiary of idiot egotistical coaching. Still don't get the hate but whatever.

Who dislikes Orton?