Watkins getting a little gabby

personally i dont give a damn what any of the players think of EJ. I think EJ stinks and Orton gives us a much better chance of making the playoffs. If EJ is going to be an NFL starter he will use this whole situation to improve himself...honestly at this point do we as Bills fans even care if he salvages his career?f Anything we get out him at this point is a bonus

Thinking is one thing. Telling the media is entirely different. And why would anyone NOT want the kid to succeed? I sure as hell do.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction is contradictory. On the one hand, I appreciate hearing what players really think - especially when their thoughts create hope for better outcomes.

On the other hand, I don't think players should publicly criticize teammates.

Marrone says the change should be good for EJ. Maybe watching the veteran Orton conduct business will be help EJ better understand what's expected of a QB. And maybe the work he does with the mental coach he supposedly hire will also help.

I think the young buck has some things to learn about big internal decisions like switching QB's:

mikerodak

Watkins: “The way he talked, the way he handles business, the way he looks at plays and breaks down defenses, it’s kinda different than EJ."

mikerodak

Sammy Watkins on Kyle Orton today in practice: “He reads it quicker, the ball is coming out faster

Rather annoying that Rodak has the exclusivity on these quotes, but, ya know.

For Sammy, this would have been a good opportunity to take some pages out of the vets' playbooks:

mikerodak

Mike Williams on WRs’ role in EJ benching: “We feel like we could have did more … It wasn’t our decision, but it wasn’t our actions either."

buffalobills

@Fred22Jackson: "I don't focus on the changes being made. I focus on what I can do to make us better." pic.twitter.com/ryP83uXZwP

buffalobills

@Fred22Jackson: "This isn't just about EJ. As an offense, we need to get the job done."

MEANWHILE:

JoeBuscaglia

Q: Kyle, why will you run this offense better than EJ?

A: I'm not saying that I will. That's a loaded question. That's a crap question.

- When Fred speaks, we all should listen...we just might learn something. He's truly "The Man".

IMO, the days of Rookies 'knowin their place' are over. There's no more head shaving, duct taping them to goal posts, ect. Sammy came here with very high expectations and he's shown flashes of brilliance while playing with banged ribs. Manuel simply sucks and I have zero belief he'll ever evolve enough to see 5 years in the League. Watkins, on the other side, should dazzle for years to come. Even this early in his 1st season, I expect him to catch everything thrown his way Sunday. That's the statement that wil back up his tongue and he's self-motivating himself to show just that.

Again, JMO

IMO, the days of Rookies 'knowin their place' are over. There's no more head shaving, duct taping them to goal posts, ect. Sammy came here with very high expectations and he's shown flashes of brilliance while playing with banged ribs. Manuel simply sucks and I have zero belief he'll ever evolve enough to see 5 years in the League. Watkins, on the other side, should dazzle for years to come. Even this early in his 1st season, I expect him to catch everything thrown his way Sunday. That's the statement that wil back up his tongue and he's self-motivating himself to show just that.

Again, JMO

it is a good point that Sammy is expected to live up to being worthy of two #1s and that is a lot of pressure. He is dependent on the QB for much of that. He's in a tough spot but so far hadn't been asked about it point blank. If he is, I hope he doesn't say anything too negative but again, it is a tough spot. Overall, I just hope the change results in him having more chances to make plays.

I think the young buck has some things to learn about big internal decisions like switching QB's:

mikerodak

Watkins: “The way he talked, the way he handles business, the way he looks at plays and breaks down defenses, it’s kinda different than EJ."

mikerodak

Sammy Watkins on Kyle Orton today in practice: “He reads it quicker, the ball is coming out faster

I think likely the reporters were fishing hard and pressing for anything quotable on differences. I think Watkins was trying to say something non-inflammatory that would get them off his back, and he's likely not as fast on his feet dealing with the press yet. That a 10 yr veteran should be able to break down plays and make reads faster than a 2nd year guy is not exactly earth-shattering news.

Now if he said "Kyle's actually throwing the ball where I can catch it", that would have been inflammatory B-)

JoeBuscaglia

Q: Kyle, why will you run this offense better than EJ?

A: I'm not saying that I will. That's a loaded question. That's a crap question.

This I like. Bam!

Edited by Hopeful

Again, JMO

This^^

Sometimes the truth hurts but you hit the nail on the head Chandler.

Again, JMO

While all of this may be true, none of it grants him liberty to opiniate to the media about which of his team mates performs which duty better.

All I read is an out of context quote, presented as a condemnation of EJM, yet everyone seems more anxious to present their opinion about how a rookie should act, the state of this generation, and ignore that Watkins comments aren't very vindictive, even out of context.

I don't think these comments should be used as some kind of measuring stick of Watkins as a teammate, or as "a reflection of the modern player".

Edited by HoF Watkins

Anything that touches his hands he needs to catch. Something he hasn't done frankly. Everybody knows his job is QB dependent but when balls are there to be caught, he needs to catch them if he wants to avoid the incessant "we mortgaged the future" crap he's bound to hear otherwise.

In the meantime, STFU and carry my luggage, rook!

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

All I read is an out of context quote, presented as a condemnation of EJM, yet everyone seems more anxious to present their opinion about how a rookie should act, the state of this generation, and ignore that Watkins comments aren't very vindictive, even out of context.

I don't think these comments should be used as some kind of measuring stick of Watkins as a teammate.

I respectfully disagree. Each of his comments was a clear comparison between Orton and someone else. By all accounts, Watkins is a smart kid. He must have known that cutting his comments a little short would have prevented the comparison.

I'll just paraphrase to make my point:

Kyle Orton did a great job reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly.

Kyle Orton did a great job reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly, and that's an adjustment.

Kyle Orton read defenses better and got the ball out quicker.

See how the first one praises Orton, but compares him to no one? See how the last two have little additions that immediately compare Orton to Manuel?

Unnecessary. Unprofessional. And I hope it's just a rookie mistake.

The edited version is an admission of misrepresentation.

Also, more globally, there was a reason I included the how-to's along with Sammy-four-games-under-belt-Watkin's.

Watkins put his toes up to the line. Everyone knows what he meant and that is that in his opinion EJ isn't good enough to play in this league and that he has hope for the team with Orton at QB. It might not have been the classiest way to handle the situation, but he was honest and he is correct. Also the "four games under his belt" comment is complete crap. Sammy was brought to the Bills at a very high cost, but he is already showing he can earn his keep in this league - even after four games. That's something that EJ has yet to do. You want to wager on who ends up with the better career?

I respectfully disagree. Each of his comments was a clear comparison between Orton and someone else. By all accounts, Watkins is a smart kid. He must have known that cutting his comments a little short would have prevented the comparison.

I'll just paraphrase to make my point:

Kyle Orton did a great job reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly.

Kyle Orton did a great job reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly, and that's an adjustment.

Kyle Orton read defenses better and got the ball out quicker.

See how the first one praises Orton, but compares him to no one? See how the last two have little additions that immediately compare Orton to Manuel?

Unnecessary. Unprofessional. And I hope it's just a rookie mistake.

I stand by my comments. I think this board is filled with people that are overly anxious to throw stones.

If you wanna run Watkins out of town for this, that's up to you.

There isn't enough there for it to be some kind of "serious transgression of the professional code" or some such nonsense.

WGAF

Edited by HoF Watkins

I stand by my comments. I think this board is filled with people that are overly anxious to throw stones.

I am, by far, one of the last people on this board to throw stones. Believe me. The kid was wrong. I just hope it wasn't calculated.

As long as he doesn't blame God when he drops a game winning TD it's all good with me I suppose.

I like accountability. As long as he can hold himself accountable, it's ok if he holds others as well. The way he answered the questions isn't really my style but as long as he does what he was brought here to do I won't complain.

Edited by YoloinOhio