A tough row to hoe for Orton

Orton's Arm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, high expectations here... so Orton has to light it up against one of the top defenses, running this craptastic offensive scheme, and having been on the team for 5 weeks, and likely not getting much time withe the starters in practice?

Not a whole lot of patience here.

I have no problem if Orton throws up a stinker this week (other than it'd suck because we'd likely lose)... if he throws up stinkers a month from now, that's when I'll have a bigger issue with the move.

Wow, high expectations here... so Orton has to light it up against one of the top defenses, running this craptastic offensive scheme, and having been on the team for 5 weeks, and likely not getting much time withe the starters in practice?

I have no problem if Orton throws up a stinker this week (other than it'd suck because we'd likely lose)... if he throws up stinkers a month from now, that's when I'll have a bigger issue with the move.

Well I do. IF the purpose is to WIN now and keep pace with the Putrids Orton has to win now . no stinkers allowed.

If KO is replacing EJ he had better be the better QB.

I was willing to cut EJ slack, I'm not with this road weary QB (who almost retired)

Well I do. IF the purpose is to WIN now and keep pace with the Putrids Orton has to win now . no stinkers allowed.

If KO is replacing EJ he had better be the better QB.

I was willing to cut EJ slack, I'm not with this road weary QB (who almost retired)

Then you have impossible expectations. We are not going 12-0 with Orton, sorry buddy.

Are we already making excuses for the guy? None of this matters.. he's in the lineup because Marrone decided EJ wasn't getting it done. You don't sit your unquestioned starter, when he's healthy, and then say... you gotta give the backup time to learn the system.

If the offense doesn't improve with Orton this week, then it was a bad decision. Simple as that.

well said.

Then you have impossible expectations. We are not going 12-0 with Orton, sorry buddy.

impossible?

Maybe. To some ... as part of my 10-6 prediction, I penciled in a win for EJ vs the Lions.

Orton had better do better.

again, many people were screaming to replace EJ.

Those screams had better be warranted, because if Orton stinks up the joint, it won't be me with mud on his face.

yeah, you EJ haters know who you are.

What's better?

- EJ starting, and winning this game, but the team finishes 7-9

- Orton starting, and losing this game, but the team finishes 9-7

My point is, Orton might not be an improvement for a game or two, but might end up being better over the course of the season. Hence why I won't be outraged and yelling for a change back to EJ if we lose this weekend.

By the time the Bills play the Lions, Orton will have been on the roster 5 - 6 weeks. I'm far from convinced that's enough time to learn a new NFL offense. Even if it is, he'll have had only one week to develop any kind of chemistry with the starting receivers. He'll be going up against the #1 ranked defense. As though all this was not enough, the Bills have issues at offensive guard.

I expect Orton to look worse than he has in the past--at least for the next game or two. But I also expect him to show steady improvement as he becomes more familiar with the offense and the receivers.

I would agree. Hopefully people are not clamoring to bench him after 1-2 games. I still expect him to be better than EJ in terms of hitting wide open WR's. But going against DET with Pears in the starting lineup is difficult.

Edited by RyanC883

impossible?

Maybe. To some ... as part of my 10-6 prediction, I penciled in a win for EJ vs the Lions.

Those screams had better be warranted, because if Orton stinks up the joint, it won't be me with mud on his face.

no one is an EJ hater. No one wants EJ to fail, or play as poorly as he has. But he did, and will continue to do so. This is not the time for an experiment, and Orton gives the Bills the best chance to win. Manuel can develop now as most QB's do, by watching a vet for a while.

If its impossible to expect Orton to be 12-0, why does EJ have to be perfect?

Yeah, he looked bad against Houston. But, he was trying to run a game plan that played directly into the Texans' strength and left one of the best pass rushers in the league one on one with rookie linemen.

What's better?

My point is, Orton might not be an improvement for a game or two, but might end up being better over the course of the season. Hence why I won't be outraged and yelling for a change back to EJ if we lose this weekend.

If the difference between EJ and Orton is 7 wins vs 9 wins, then what's the point of making the switch?

Edited by Dan

What's better?

EJ could also end up being the better QB over the course of the season too.

EJ may just be struggling in the dreaded sophomore slump! Tell me you never heard good players struggling in their sophomore season??? (yes it does happen).

I've always been one to want a player to have ample time to prove himself. Sorry 14 games doesn't cut it.

EJ can win, EJ just cannot win every game AND that is what a lot of the Anti EJ's want to see happen. Win every game. that my friend is unrealistic.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Tall order to be sure. But I'm not convinced this is a craptastic offensive scheme, at least from the passing game perspective. Every time I look at the All-22 over the first four weeks, I usually see two receivers open at depths that don't require extended pass protection. If Orton can make defenses pay by hitting a few, it should help our running game. Then again, I'm not seeing the OLine getting a lot of push in that facet, either.

Regardless, Orton's got his work cut out for him. We should all temper our expectations a bit.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, he looked bad against Houston. But, he was trying to run a game plan that played directly into the Texans' strength and left one of the best pass rushers in the league one on one with rookie linemen.

If the difference between EJ and Orton is 7 wins vs 9 wins, then what's the point of making the switch?

he doesn't.

there really isn't a point of making the switch IMO.

I don't see why anybody should be giving Orton excuses to get up to speed w/ the game or playbook. He's a 10 yr vet that knows the game. Been with the Bills for 6 weeks now and should know the playbook. Unless he's another Billy Joe Hobert, (Remember him Bills fans?) he should be fine. He's watched game film and should be aware we have some O-line issues. But after his first offensive series, the rust should be gone. I'll be lenient by giving him at most, the first quarter to get used to the game-speed of things. That's my take on this guy. Go Bills!

I don't understands why people think this is the end of the road for EJ. He can still learn and get better. He can learn from a NFL QB who has player 70 games instead of Hackett. He can learn by watching. This is not the end of the world. I personally think this is good for the Bills now and good for EJ later. Hopefully it is a win win!

Go Bills!!!

PLAYOFFS

9-7 gives you a shot at the playoffs and very may well win the division this year. 7-9 brings us back up to Jauron level.

Edited by reddogblitz

impossible?

He's the worst graded QB in the league with 4 starts outside of Geno Smith

I'm not screaming to replace EJ but rather in calm and reasonable tone telling you QB is THE weakest position on this team

We are getting nothin from Manuel being there other than a few avoided sacks a game

He has shown little in regards to mobility or accuracy, can't find open receiver downfield and has played tentative and scared for a lot of his snaps

He was one of the worst graded QB's in the league last year with significant starts

If no now..when?

EJ doesn't need to be perfect. Orton doesn't need to be perfect. But one of the two needs to recognize and hit open WRs when the opportunities are there.

The point of 9 wins is playoffs. And from there, any given Sunday. I can't believe that's even a question.