A tough row to hoe for Orton

Orton's Arm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

By Watching EJ the play book consists of, dump off to RB, Dump off to RB, Dump off to TE, and WR Screen. I'm fairly certain any NFL QB can throw the ball 3 yards pass the LOS.

It's the chance that ORton might throw a ball 8 yards past the LOS regularly that he brings.

It really won't take much to improve the QB play on this team.

He might throw ints though

Orton got replaced by Tim Tebow for God's sake (no pun intended). The Bills should have stuck with Manuel the rest of the season then pulled the plug. The team is going nowhere with Kyle Orton.

What you see above is a text book definition of a "troll" post.

Orton got replaced by Tim Tebow for God's sake (no pun intended). The Bills should have stuck with Manuel the rest of the season then pulled the plug. The team is going nowhere with Kyle Orton.

That was probably more of a publicity move and an overcommitment to the en vogue Wildcat offense than anything else. The proof that Orton is a better QB than Tebow is that he's still on an NFL roster.

Are we already making excuses for the guy? None of this matters.. he's in the lineup because Marrone decided EJ wasn't getting it done. You don't sit your unquestioned starter, when he's healthy, and then say... you gotta give the backup time to learn the system.

If the offense doesn't improve with Orton this week, then it was a bad decision. Simple as that.

Nailed it

Are we already making excuses for the guy? None of this matters.. he's in the lineup because Marrone decided EJ wasn't getting it done. You don't sit your unquestioned starter, when he's healthy, and then say... you gotta give the backup time to learn the system.

If the offense doesn't improve with Orton this week, then it was a bad decision. Simple as that.

Exactly. So many here complained about how bad EJ was and how awesome the rest of the team was. Now they got the QB change and are setting the table full of excuses why Orton won't do any better. Hopefully he does, but come on. If he doesn't get the job done any better than EJ, it was a bad decision.

My first though was....No Mr Bond, we expect you to die!

I have visions of Jordan Palmer looking good in comparison. This game should really be interesting, as the current brain trust must firmly believe that the starting OG's can get it done, and it was all just a bad QB. The Chargers don't have anywhere near the talent of this Detroit front four, and yet they were able to destroy that line by simply stunting to cause confusion.

This Detroit defense is 6th against the pass, and 7th against the run. I find it a tad disconcerting that Schwartz leaves Detroit and the defense improves from 15th to 1st.

What gets me is at least last year the Bills tried to run more to help out the young QB's. This year they expect him to play like a seasoned vet and come out throwing against a team with a weak rush defense, and fierce pass rush.

Giants, Jets, and Panthers offenses, Oh My! those are scary offenses.

The Packers win is the impressive one.

I don't know if that #1 ranked defense will stay that way as the season progresses. Now throwing Kyle Orton to the Lions may be a gift that keeps that D ranked high.

We will see and I will see first hand.

A tough row to hoe for (never heard that that I can recall) like

Up ships creek without a paddle? [sarc/] j/k

or

A tough road to hoe

The phrase is a farming metaphor. "A tough row to hoe" dates back to the late 1800s, and "a hard row to hoe" dates back to the early 1800s.

To return to the original subject: when Orton gets thrown into the lions' den (so to speak), I expect him to look better than Manuel, but not as good as Fitzpatrick. But by the second half of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if Orton looked at least as good as Fitzpatrick had while he was in Buffalo.

"Far be it from me" to question this thread's message. I think for Orton to help this team beat the Lions is "easier said than done". However, I hope the OP has to "eat crow" by the time the game ends on Sunday. Hopefully Marrone will "read him the riot act" before the game just to let Orton know that the team is "pinning their hopes" on him. I think the QB change is "playing with fire", if not going to the "point of no return"- but maybe Marrone is "playing his cards right". QB changes are "par for the course" in this league- Manuel's play was "nothing to write home about". The change has given Orton a "new lease on life", and it's "no skin off my nose".

He's a veteran running a simplified offensive scheme. 5 weeks is more than enough time to settle in. I expect he'll prove to be an immediate upgrade from EJ in his very first start.

I agree, he won't be Jim Kelly, but he won't be JP Losman either. With the Defense, running game and wide receivers the Bills have, he just has to be good. Complete passes to the Wide-receivers.

Exactly. When you pull the pilot out of the cockpit the co-pilot better know how to fly the plane.

I agree, he won't be Jim Kelly, but he won't be JP Losman either. With the Defense, running game and wide receivers the Bills have, he just has to be good. Complete passes to the Wide-receivers.

you hope!!!

in years - 4, 3, 1, 2 that was his stint on 4 teams . IIRC Never a starter at the end of those stints. Not in Chicago, not in Denver, not in KC and not in Dallas.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The phrase is a farming metaphor. "A tough row to hoe" dates back to the late 1800s, and "a hard row to hoe" dates back to the early 1800s.

To return to the original subject: when Orton gets thrown into the lions' den (so to speak), I expect him to look better than Manuel, but not as good as Fitzpatrick. But by the second half of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if Orton looked at least as good as Fitzpatrick had while he was in Buffalo.

If Orton is as good as Fitz was when he was his best in Buffalo it still itsn't good enough.

We drafted EJ to be better than Fitz.

We need Orton to be better than Fitz or the last two seasons were a complete waste.

Unless something drastic happens, I feel sorry for whoever is the QB (Orton) against the Lions. I think they are going to crush the interior of our line - especially in Detroit.

Marrone may have been doing EJ a favor.

If we can figure out how to at least be average against Suh et al, we have a chance. If not, it is going to be another unproductive day for the offense.