Marrone-"I didn't ask for agreement [when he told Whaley]"

dave mcbride

http://www.syracuse...._ej_manuel.html

But just three months after Hackett was hired in January of 2013, the Bills cut Fitzpatrick.

"He's a dear, dear friend," Hackett said. "I talk to him. When I was at Syracuse we would talk all the time. When I got here I was so excited to come back here and coach him and then he ended up leaving, and I was like, 'Woah, where are you going, we just got here.' That was a big part of me wanting to be here was to be with him. He's a wonderful, wonderful guy."

Thanks. That's news to me.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the proper way for a GM to manage. Make it clear you (Whaley) has the power to make any and all personnel decisions, but for the most part you let the HC make the decisions. While you clearly state the goals, objectives, and expectations of the HC. You also make it clear that when you make a roster decision that you don't agree with, be prepared to come under fire or lose your job.

Marrone had nothing but praise for Orton and his signing since day 1 and was open critical of the backup QB's prior. The rumor mongering by Florio and others never made any sense frankly. Marrone wants to win and I am sure would play any QB he thinks gives him the best chance.

I believe that rumor/spin began with the Buffalo media - not with Florio.

What does it say?

Videos of Munch, Billick, and an NFL insider all basically saying this isn't a move with long term thought in place and was for win now. But what do the Bills do next year now? Going back to EJ is tough. Most didn't necassarily say it was a bad move, but were very surprised and kind of questioned it. Billick said Marrone made the move to basically keep his job next year.

Ladanian Tomlinson said EJ sucks.

Most reports from the NFL guys, Kirwan, Billick, and Munch, all seem to be questioning the move.

Videos of Munch, Billick, and an NFL insider all basically saying this isn't a move with long term thought in place and was for win now. But what do the Bills do next year now? Going back to EJ is tough. Most didn't necassarily say it was a bad move, but were very surprised and kind of questioned it. Billick said Marrone made the move to basically keep his job next year.

Ladanian Tomlinson said EJ sucks.

Most reports from the NFL guys, Kirwan, Billick, and Munch, all seem to be questioning the move.

My impression was that the majority thought it was a bad/wrong football decision.

But the talking heads are usually somewhat behind the times for some reason.

They probably all picked the Pats last night.

It's from Marrone's presser yesterday where he talked with Whaley and told him he's making the switch to Orton because it gives the team the best chance to win. Marrone said that he and Whaley agreed.

If anyone here thinks a decision of this magnitude, with all its implications for everyone involved, was made in a vacuum or by one person, you have no idea how an NFL team is run.

This would have been a group decision made in a room with many people sitting in it, with every aspect well thought out, discussed, and debated. As a GROUP, the powers that be at OBD decided to, for a variety of reasons, go for it and make the change.

Case closed.

Any discussion which suggests this was not a carefully thought over group decision is just plain stupid. Period.

My theory is that Mary Wilson walked in on Monday afternoon and said, "in honor of my late great husband, and in my last official edict as owner of this team, I am ordering you to start Orton over EJ. Handle it with the press any way you can save face. But do it now or you're gone tomorrow. Tell your lovely family I said hi. "

Then walked out.

If anyone here thinks a decision of this magnitude, with all its implications for everyone involved, was made in a vacuum or by one person, you have no idea how an NFL team is run.

This would have been a group decision made in a room with many people sitting in it, with every aspect well thought out, discussed, and debated. As a GROUP, the powers that be at OBD decided to, for a variety of reasons, go for it and make the change.

Case closed.

Any discussion which suggests this was not a carefully thought over group decision is just plain stupid. Period.

There are several different paradigms with respect to football organizational structure. To suggest or declare that there is only one is either blissfully naive or just plain stupid.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

My theory is that Mary Wilson walked in on Monday afternoon and said, "in honor of my late great husband, and in my last official edict as owner of this team, I am ordering you to start Orton over EJ. Handle it with the press any way you can save face. But do it now or you're gone tomorrow. Tell your lovely family I said hi. "

Then walked out.

This seems like the most likely scenario :beer:

Case closed.

This is just plain incorrect. It is no more complicated than reviewing film after the SD loss and telling EJ that he needed to play better followed up by film review of the Texans game and confirming what was plain as day. There is absolutely NO reason to suspect it didn't happen exactly as Marrone described it; he reviewed the film, notified EJ of the upcoming change as a result, and then let everyone else in the organization know it, too. Nothing unusual at all about the entire process and absolutely no need to get consensus from the FO. Marrone was hired to make these decisions and he did just that. And he was being genuine when he compared it to making decisions to sit any player at any position when that player isn't performing up to expectations. Benching a QB is just more visible, not more complicated. And often an easier decision to make.

GO BILLS!!!

This is just plain incorrect. It is no more complicated than reviewing film after the SD loss and telling EJ that he needed to play better followed up by film review of the Texans game and confirming what was plain as day. There is absolutely NO reason to suspect it didn't happen exactly as Marrone described it; he reviewed the film, notified EJ of the upcoming change as a result, and then let everyone else in the organization know it, too. Nothing unusual at all about the entire process and absolutely no need to get consensus from the FO. Marrone was hired to make these decisions and he did just that. And he was being genuine when he compared it to making decisions to sit any player at any position when that player isn't performing up to expectations. Benching a QB is just more visible, not more complicated. And often an easier decision to make.

GO BILLS!!!

Not to mention if that he doesn't say it, and says this was a unanimous decision it looks worse for EJ, and if he says we talked it over and came to this conclusion it implies that he or the GM were not in favor. It's the smart, if not only thing to say whether it happened that way or not.

I happen to doubt he said it like that. I imagine it was more like, "Doug (Whaley), after watching the film again, and thinking about it overnight, this team can contend for a playoff spot, the AFC East can be had, Orton has looked good in practice, plays are being left on the field, EJ still may do it but our best chance to win right now is with Kyle, and I'm strongly thinking of making the switch right now, to give him a week and one start before the Patsie game at home next week. What do you think?"

"They want you to cook the dinner at least they should let you shop for the groceries." - Bill Parcells.

since I didn't shop for the groceries, i'll cook what I want - Doug Marrone.

"since i have no ingredients and i'm a terrible cook, we'll go get some cheeseburgers." -- mike mularkey

Well, this is fun...

"When you don't have any control over the grocery list and you don't have the ability to eat out, it is very, very hard to do anything of merit on the grill" - Dick Jauron

Anybody wanna do Chan?

EDIT:

"Its hard to find the closest drive through in the NFL." -Dick J

Sorry Sodbuster, totally missed your comment there. I like yours better

Edited by TheLynchTrain