Does The EJ Benching Make Whaley Look Really Bad To New Ownership?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need more specifics to make that judgement. I like that they're willing to admit a mistake. The best GMs make mistakes, the danger is letting the mistake stick around too long.

agree 100%. Also, Whaley has had very good drafts sans Manuel. Playmakers win games, he's gone after those guys. Taking Henderson in the 7th round, getting Mike Williams, getting Spikes, Kiko, etc. Whaley has a very solid record here. The fact he is admitting that EJ may have been a mistake is encouraging. Oh, Whaley also got Orton, perhaps the best FA available this offseason. So, there is that also. He was willing to think that EJ was a mistake, got the best veteran available, and next season there should be a lot of veterans to chose from. He knows this team can win now, so drafting another rookie QB next year in the 1st was likely not part of the plan.

Edited by RyanC883

Truth be told, there were at least a couple of occasions since last draft that I was tempted to beat you over the (virtual) head for your extreme opinion re: EJ. But I am here to admit that so far you look to be right. I also remember you praising the Marrone hire (I had no opinion on it), so I am now hoping that you are right on that as well.

I always thought what Marrone did at Cuse was impressive. The place was a dumpster fire when he took over and I don't think it will be back any time soon. He also had a great pedigree and top coaches raving about him. His biggest problem that I see is that he has not made any effort to endear himself to the fans. Get him a PR coach and he'd have more supporters

As far as EJ goes, I couldn't believe the reaction on here to my comments when I simply laid out the facts during the draft and after. My reaction to the pick was extreme because I watched a lot of EJ and FSU in college. I didn't base my opinions off of a magazine or a wish.

Either way, the correct decision has been made whether Orton works out or not. EJ, unfortunately, has been exposed.

Bottom line: Whaley will be toast unless this team wins 8 games or more.

The team has 12 win talent and 2 win coaching. I doubt they will hold that against Whaley.

Ralph did a lot for Buffalo and the Bills but allowing the hiring of top coaches wasn't one of those things. We were relegated to hiring "up and comers". IMO Whaley has done a very good job but the coaching has failed him, EJ and Buffalo fans and it will be the next coaching change that will be a big piece of the final puzzle.

It is unfair to expect the coaches to have a QB playing at an all pro level after 16 games of a career with some lost to injury and when he was expected to learn behind Kolb for a while. I don't think EJ is a lost cause and don't think Geno Smith is either. They are both going through growing pains and either or both could pan out. It is equally clear that EJ was not getting proper coaching from these doofusses and that Orton will also fail as would Unitas, Elway, Tittle, Van Brocklin, Starr and Montana under Marrone and his teenage puppet.

It took Chan and Fitz no time to work with Stevie. Under Harbaugh he is already flourishing, Under Greggo Marrone he had to be cut loose. Marrone can't coach EJ either. Who is the next scapegoat? CJ? Cyurus? Bryce Brown? Nope....he is fresh out of scapegoats. I think Pegula will let him coach until the end of the season but wouldn't be totally shocked if we had a winner in here by December 1.

You can say EJ had a bad game and he did, but there aren't too many coaches that would have lost that game yesterday with the Bills Roster against the Texans roster. Greggo Marrone is one of them.

Makes the whole team look like they want to win, and that's that. The best coaches, GMs and owners don't commit to players, they commit to winning. Ask yourself: what would parcells, bellicheck, polian, kraft, carroll, etc etc do in that same situation?

The buddy-gailey regime committed to fitz, and we saw how that worked out.

Discuss Manuel, Watkins. Moving up in the draft. How will/should Pegula perceive this misjudgement?

Whaley has brought some really great talent to the team. The team is arguably the most talented since the late 90s. But he has completely mismanaged the QB position at every level possible. That is a fireable offense, and overshadows all the good he has done.

agree 100%. Also, Whaley has had very good drafts sans Manuel. Playmakers win games, he's gone after those guys. Taking Henderson in the 7th round, getting Mike Williams, getting Spikes, Kiko, etc. Whaley has a very solid record here. The fact he is admitting that EJ may have been a mistake is encouraging. Oh, Whaley also got Orton, perhaps the best FA available this offseason. So, there is that also. He was willing to think that EJ was a mistake, got the best veteran available, and next season there should be a lot of veterans to chose from. He knows this team can win now, so drafting another rookie QB next year in the 1st was likely not part of the plan.

Assuming Whaley was behind the 2013 draft, The only Whaley draftee not on the roster any longer is Hopkins. I think the fact that we are getting some production from all three 7th rounders says something about his eye for talent. This roster is built to win. The guard situation is lousy, but I think Marrone may have led Whaley to believe it was a minor issue that was resolved with Williams and current members of the team moving around. This roster is built to win. EJ hasn't stepped up.

Edited by Big C

I always thought what Marrone did at Cuse was impressive. The place was a dumpster fire when he took over and I don't think it will be back any time soon. He also had a great pedigree and top coaches raving about him. His biggest problem that I see is that he has not made any effort to endear himself to the fans. Get him a PR coach and he'd have more supporters

As far as EJ goes, I couldn't believe the reaction on here to my comments when I simply laid out the facts during the draft and after. My reaction to the pick was extreme because I watched a lot of EJ and FSU in college. I didn't base my opinions off of a magazine or a wish.

Either way, the correct decision has been made whether Orton works out or not. EJ, unfortunately, has been exposed.

My single major complaint against Marrone ( I overlooked some questionable decisions last year due to it being his rookie year) has been the penalties. Going back to last year, the O and D have this nasty habit of inopportune penalties.

As for EJ, my support was more based on hope than knowledge of his college career. Perhaps it's for the best of the team but it was clear in the last two games that he was in over his head. If he continued to play as against the Dolphins, we could have won yesterday.

For now, Go Bills, Go Orton

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Whaley has brought some really great talent to the team. The team is arguably the most talented since the late 90s. But he has completely mismanaged the QB position at every level possible. That is a fireable offense, and overshadows all the good he has done.

Signing one of the best backups in the league is mismanaging the position at every level possible?

I think it is more like 10 games. Pegula has to clean house. I mean, if I dropped 1.4 b on a team, would I put my faith in the Dougs?

Pegulas favorite team was the Steelers for a long while. I assume he very much admires the Pittsburgh Steeler way of management, and I would imagine is very impressed with Whaley. I will bet anyone Whaley stays.