J Byrd 2014

Kirby Jackson

I am heading back from the game and listening to the Saints on the radio. Bobby Hebert is KILLING him at halftime. The former QB is basically the main sports talk host in NOLA. I think that he is hammered (he just called them the Cowgirls). He said, "come on Jairus Byrd what are you stealing money?!? Can you tackle?" FWIW he has really struggled this year.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd has looked pretty darn good out there tonight.

I am driving back but they are killing him on the Saints radio network. I mean they KILLED him at halftime. He has struggled. I like Byrd but he was never one of the best couple of safeties in the league. He can't support the run and is a step slow over the top.

I am driving back but they are killing him on the Saints radio network. I mean they KILLED him at halftime. He has struggled. I like Byrd but he was never one of the best couple of safeties in the league. He can't support the run and is a step slow over the top.

He misplayed the rushing td but has otherwise made nice plays tonight

Hmmm...I haven't seen it tonight, but I am no expert. I think he was a split second late on the first Williams TD, but otherwise he has looked really good. What did I miss?

Hmmm...I haven't seen it tonight, but I am no expert. I think he was a split second late on the first Williams TD, but otherwise he has looked really good. What did I miss?

He was late because he was doubling dez- that he got a hit in was good

The long td run he got sucked inside instead of filling the hole and left a free path to the end zone. One other run I saw him too far inside but bush got the tackle still

Otherwise, looked good tonight

He never had the physical skills to be a top flight guy like earl Thomas. But he was smart, developed good technique, and was opporunisitic. He was somewhere in between good and great, problem is he wanted to be paid like great. Hence I'm glad we passed on him. .

Excellent summary. Bryd in a nutshell.

Byrd scored zero points in 1st half? Oh that was Brees? I thought Brees was elite.

Are we questioning whether or not Brees is elite? He has 4 5,000 yard seasons. There are only like 8 in NFL history (or something like that). I am not sure if that was sarcasm or a ridiculous overreaction. If it was sarcasm I apologize for not picking up. If you are questioning whether or not Brees is elite I will be adding you to the block list ;).

Byrd is a smart player who worked well in Pettine's systems. Like a lot of other players, his skills might not translate into success elsewhere. He is not a physical specimen like many other safeties. He reads QBs and sees how plays are developing, and he reacts. Why he isn't able to do it in NO, I can't say for sure, but it is probably due to what he's asked to do by his position coaches and DC.

Either that or he got tired of faking injuries, so now he shows up but doesn't really show up.

Byrd is a smart player who worked well in Pettine's systems. Like a lot of other players, his skills might not translate into success elsewhere. He is not a physical specimen like many other safeties. He reads QBs and sees how plays are developing, and he reacts. Why he isn't able to do it in NO, I can't say for sure, but it is probably due to what he's asked to do by his position coaches and DC.

Either that or he got tired of faking injuries, so now he shows up but doesn't really show up.

hes played in a different system every single year of his career. he has the saints only turnover of the season.

whats happening now is the corners are weak enough that they can throw away from him (one of the TD catches last night was vs a UDFA rookie on an island by himself) and still find an easy target coupled with the front 7 not stopping the run. weve seen what happens with that.

hes a good player, but hes not going to fix a full meltdown like that.