Anyone else tired of hearing about Derek jeter?

major

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

{cough} Staged {cough}

Oh stop it! Even if it WAS staged, its a good story and he deserves it. I dont think its staged at all anyway. Just give the guy the respect he deserves. Over his career, he's been a real ambassador for baseball, hasnt hit his wife, hasn't been in the HGH scandals, has been respectful and a role model for kids to look up for. Even Bosox fans can respect that. Just give it up and give him his due.

could you imagine if showalter walked jeter, which wouldn't have been a horrible call, baltimore needed the win to keep their hopes of best record alive. the place would have erupted

Oh stop it! Even if it WAS staged, its a good story and he deserves it. I dont think its staged at all anyway. Just give the guy the respect he deserves. Over his career, he's been a real ambassador for baseball, hasnt hit his wife, hasn't been in the HGH scandals, has been respectful and a role model for kids to look up for. Even Bosox fans can respect that. Just give it up and give him his due.

could you imagine if showalter walked jeter, which wouldn't have been a horrible call, baltimore needed the win to keep their hopes of best record alive. the place would have erupted

Wouldn't have blamed him if he did. They're still trying for the best record so they have something to play for.

Finally get a good story in sports and someone has to crap all over it haha

Seriously

Most popular team in all of American sports? Check

Most popular player on most popular team? Check

Player who stayed clear of ALL controversy during one of the most controversial times in Baseball history? Check

Last of the core four? Check

Last time Bob Shephard will announce a player in a regular season game? Check

There was a lot to talk about with this end of an era. Make no mistake about it, it is just that. Jeter is the last tie to the World Series runs in the late 90s. Even those that don't like the Yankees have to have a respect for him. It was a sad and emotional day for a lot of Yankee fans myself included. This guy was the starting shortstop from my freshman year of high school, through college, through my 20s, through me getting married, all the way through me expecting my first kid. Jeter has been Mr. Do everything right for a long chunk of my life. It is very sad to see him go but what a way to go! Seriously this guy must have been an amazing person in his previous life to be as blessed as he is in this one!

I absolutely hate the Yankees with a passion, but as a baseball fan I can't help but respect Jeter. He has been an ambassador to the game and a role model for kids growing up. In this day and age of professional athletes beating kids, raping women, beating women etc etc etc, it's refreshing to have a good guy get his recognition.

And for those claiming it's fixed? Right, both teams are so good at what they do that they could set the table so perfectly? Let go of the BS conspiracy theories and just enjoy what was a storied career for a damn good baseball player and a good human being.

I absolutely hate the Yankees with a passion, but as a baseball fan I can't help but respect Jeter. He has been an ambassador to the game and a role model for kids growing up. In this day and age of professional athletes beating kids, raping women, beating women etc etc etc, it's refreshing to have a good guy get his recognition.

And for those claiming it's fixed? Right, both teams are so good at what they do that they could set the table so perfectly? Let go of the BS conspiracy theories and just enjoy what was a storied career for a damn good baseball player and a good human being.

This! C'mon man, I'll give credit where credit is due, even though I'm a Yankees fan. If he was a Redsux player or a Met, I would still tip my hat to him. He's a symbol of what is right in sports!

This! C'mon man, I'll give credit where credit is due, even though I'm a Yankees fan. If he was a Redsux player or a Met, I would still tip my hat to him. He's a symbol of what is right in sports!

Exactly, I'm an Indians fan but Jeter is one of those guys you just root for. He's earned it.

Last night is and should have been a big deal... but the whole farewell tour thing got old for me last year and the All Star Game left me wanting to swear off baseball. Its a bit hypocritical as I really think these circuses are a distraction for the team.

All the fluff is elevating Jeter into a class of All Time Greats he shouldn't be a part of as well.

every one is talking about this.

What the hell did Jeter do wrong? Shag a bunch of women?

Seriously

Most popular team in all of American sports? Check

Most popular player on most popular team? Check

Player who stayed clear of ALL controversy during one of the most controversial times in Baseball history? Check

Last of the core four? Check

Last time Bob Shephard will announce a player in a regular season game? Check

There was a lot to talk about with this end of an era. Make no mistake about it, it is just that. Jeter is the last tie to the World Series runs in the late 90s. Even those that don't like the Yankees have to have a respect for him. It was a sad and emotional day for a lot of Yankee fans myself included. This guy was the starting shortstop from my freshman year of high school, through college, through my 20s, through me getting married, all the way through me expecting my first kid. Jeter has been Mr. Do everything right for a long chunk of my life. It is very sad to see him go but what a way to go! Seriously this guy must have been an amazing person in his previous life to be as blessed as he is in this one!

I am a lifelong Mets fan so I despise the Yankees. I hated Jeter with a passion growing up in my 20's. A funny thing happened when I got in my 30's, I started really admiring & respecting him. He is a once in a lifetime player. Not the most talented. You really can not judge Jeter on stats like Olberman tried to do on ESPN the other night. There is just so much more to his game then numbers. The one play that sums up his career the most is that play in playoffs against Oakland at the Colisseum when the guy was coming home for the go ahead run in scoreless game(can't remember what inning it was, think it was the 5th or 6th), the cutoff was overthrown, the runner was going to easily score as the catcher could not get the ball & out of nowhere Jeter picks the ball flicks it to the catcher for the tag out. Jeter had no business being around that ball but he always just new where to be on the field. That play will never show up in the stats, but it pretty much sums up Jeter's career & why the guy should be the first ball player ever to go into the hall of fame with a 100% of the votes. (although anybody that votes against Riveria getting in should have their vote taken away).

I don't want it to come off wrong but it seems like the trend is "he was a great guy off the field - no one women have accused him of rape or beating them and he didn't fail any drug tests!"

I don't know much off the field beyond his impressive list of hookups - anyone care to give some of his actual accomplishments in that area? (Not saying they didn't exist at all- just not familiar and the tone of the praise made me curious). Is it charm plus lack of accusations or did he really excel in the community?

Edited by NoSaint

and that exactly echoes what Jeter said about playing this weekend in Boston, the mortal enemy territory....he owes it to the Red Sox fans that will be there to honor him to at least take the field at some point, sure that may come off as arrogance, but he knows his place in the history of the game and he also knows how important the red sox yankees rivalry is. I have no doubt Boston will show immense class in giving him the send off he deserves.