EJs accuracy

JESSEFEFFER

The one thing Geno has going for him is that Rex Ryan lets him play full throttle. He runs and takes hits, gets in the flow of the college type game where he thrived. Our coaches don't let EJ do anything like that because they're so paranoid about another injury.

Very true! He is not on a short leash at all. We'll see what method proves to be better a few years down the road. It drives my crazy that this coaching staff is so paranoid about EJ getting hurt. I understand the history, but let him run and make plays. I am really surprised DM admitted to that on WGR this week.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too hope EJ works out but why did the Bills braintrust 'reach' for a guy they more than likely could have picked in the 2nd and maybe the 3rd while using that 1st rounder to address another area? I seriously doubt any other team had Manuel rated as high. To me that's an element of the evaluation of his performance.

From where I sit, he just doesn't play the position the way I expect a 1st round choice to play and while others claim to 'see' some incremental improvement I am not so sure. I think many of the negative views on EJ are judged not solely on his performance but his performance relative to where he was selected in the draft. If he was a 3rd round choice would we judge his performance in the manner we do or would our views be adjusted to expectations of a 3rd round choice vs. a 1st round choice.

The way I see it part of the frustration and disillusionment is the inability of this organization to identify and acquire a competent player at the QB spot. And I think we take out some of that frustration on EJ when he just is what he is.

They would not have gotten EJ in the 2nd. At least one other team was going to take him in the 1st, and a few folks I spoke to are convinced that Philadelphia was trying to move back into the 1st to take him.

Pointing to a completion % without looking at the actual games and saying he is accurate is a joke. The RBs have to dive for dump off passes... or it sails over their heads out of bounds. Accuracy and his lack of field vision will do him in.

Dude couldn't throw it into the ocean from a boat.

Pointing to a completion % without looking at the actual games and saying he is accurate is a joke. The RBs have to dive for dump off passes... or it sails over their heads out of bounds. Accuracy and his lack of field vision will do him in.

Dude couldn't throw it into the ocean from a boat.

yes he is that horrible. Only started for 3 years at Florida State and won won won and now is a premiere athlete in the highest version of American Football in the world, and has one of 32 jobs. He effing blows. the ocean has nothing to fear from this guy at all.

They would not have gotten EJ in the 2nd. At least one other team was going to take him in the 1st, and a few folks I spoke to are convinced that Philadelphia was trying to move back into the 1st to take him.

Chip Kelly wanted EJ, thats why we moved back to where we did. Some Bills fans wouldve driven Joe Montana outta here after 12 games with no ring.

Edited by mastershake

Very true! He is not on a short leash at all. We'll see what method proves to be better a few years down the road. It drives my crazy that this coaching staff is so paranoid about EJ getting hurt. I understand the history, but let him run and make plays. I am really surprised DM admitted to that on WGR this week.

Yeah, sure. Lets let him throw pick sixes and throw games away like Geno. Or better yet, run around recklessly and get injured like Vick or RGIII. How about let him control the offense. Don't take unnecessary risks and win games. It's working so far. We are in first place in the division and the AFC looks to be wide open.

Yeah, sure. Lets let him throw pick sixes and throw games away like Geno. Or better yet, run around recklessly and get injured like Vick or RGIII. How about let him control the offense. Don't take unnecessary risks and win games. It's working so far. We are in first place in the division and the AFC looks to be wide open.

But... narrative.

You write this as though this is an impressive statistic.

EJ is currently 23rd in the league among QBs in terms of completion percentage.

He is 24th in the league in terms of average yards per pass, at a whopping 7, including YAC. So he doesn't throw very far, which undoubtedly further skews the data on completion percentage. It makes him worse.

When you make a whole lot of throws to a target somewhere close to the line of scrimmage, and your completion % is 23rd in the league, there isn't a lot to celebrate.

This^^

I stated this in another post. EJ seems to be floating the ball instead of firing it. He has a strong arm, and needs to use it, particularly at home when the wind is usually a factor.

I noticed this a lot in the last game. It takes the ball to long to reach the WR and they are getting lit up or pass defended. He does need to start rifling the ball in there.

So, for all of the EJ critics, if he completed 2 more passes in each of the last 3 games, would you be happy?

Because that that point, He'd be at 70% completion percentage and would be at exactly the same statistical level as Russell Wilson?

So I guess we've found the quantifiable number for suckiness. EJ is 2 completions per game below suckiness. What if Chandler could actually catch or if Sammy the Great didn't give up on a play? This debate wouldn't exist.

What did DM say ?

So, for all of the EJ critics, if he completed 2 more passes in each of the last 3 games, would you be happy?

Because that that point, He'd be at 70% completion percentage and would be at exactly the same statistical level as Russell Wilson?

So I guess we've found the quantifiable number for suckiness. EJ is 2 completions per game below suckiness. What if Chandler could actually catch or if Sammy the Great didn't give up on a play? This debate wouldn't exist.

If we get to revise, I'd rather he completed 6 more passes in the chargers game and the other two games stay the same!

Then I would select the 5 longest passes and the safety(wait maybe that isn't counted in the incompletion total?) or maybe just go with all the third passes they missed.

I get your point but when your around 25 attempts per game 2 more completions is a big change.

yes he is that horrible. Only started for 3 years at Florida State and won won won and now is a premiere athlete in the highest version of American Football in the world, and has one of 32 jobs. He effing blows. the ocean has nothing to fear from this guy at all.

Your right he must be good then. If he is a starting QB in the league he must be the real deal.

Is Fitz good? What about Tannehill or Matt Cassel? They have or had one of the 32 jobs.

Unless we see a miraculous turn around in his performance, he will remain a permanent project until he hits the bench or gets cut. What has EJ done the first 3 weeks that Orton could not do? Orton can not run for first downs and throw it out of bounds for safety's too.

And yet, he's 2-1 right now.

That and he's doing EXACTLY the right thing with EJ regarding running the ball. fighting for 2 or 3 extra yards is how he got hurt twice last season. In the grand scheme those 2 to 3 extra yards are meaningless. He would also treat it differently if it were at the end of the game with a chance to go ahead. The kid needs to be ON the field. This is absolutely the smart coaching decision regardless of if fans like it. Those same fans would B word as soon as he got hurt trying for an extra 2 or 3 yards and would blame it on the coach. Face it., we have a lot of really stupid fans just like every other team.

That and he's doing EXACTLY the right thing with EJ regarding running the ball. fighting for 2 or 3 extra yards is how he got hurt twice last season. In the grand scheme those 2 to 3 extra yards are meaningless. He would also treat it differently if it were at the end of the game with a chance to go ahead. The kid needs to be ON the field. This is absolutely the smart coaching decision regardless of if fans like it. Those same fans would B word as soon as he got hurt trying for an extra 2 or 3 yards and would blame it on the coach. Face it., we have a lot of really stupid fans just like every other team.

I agree with your point but at the same time it worries me what else he might be telling EJ. He very well could be coaching him to be tentative/gun-shy. (If you read a pass rush, check to a off tackle running play. Throw to your checkdown if your first reads not there. etc.)