Lets talk about the Defense Today

Big C

My initial impressions:

The DL looked fine today, but they weren't as productive as they should have been. Schwartz seemed stubborn and would not blitz. The few blitzes I saw seemed effective. Mario had a good game, noticeably against the run.

Spikes was not out much again. Brown and Bradham didn't have great games. It seemed like they weren't as fast to react.

Graham had another good game, but rivers definitely targeted the other CBs. Was Robey benched today? Brooks saw time and made at least one nice tackle. AW was great, but he seems injury prone and it worries me. Duke Williams looked good in place of Searcy.

Schwartz needed to bring heat much earlier on. It was effective when he did. LB's no match for great TE's. McLovin and Gilmore are just playing poorly. Still, a few plays on 3rd and long and it would have been much closer. In the end, O lost his game.

Edited by Green Lightning

My initial impressions:

The DL looked fine today, but they weren't as productive as they should have been. Schwartz seemed stubborn and would not blitz. The few blitzes I saw seemed effective. Mario had a good game, noticeably against the run.

Spikes was not out much again. Brown and Bradham didn't have great games. It seemed like they weren't as fast to react.

Graham had another good game, but rivers definitely targeted the other CBs. Was Robey benched today? Brooks saw time and made at least one nice tackle. AW was great, but he seems injury prone and it worries me. Duke Williams looked good in place of Searcy.

The D-Line didn't play well because they needed to generate pressure with that 4 and they didn't, but yes it was partly scheme. Fitting it up with 4 was a disaster in the making when you look at San Diegos offensive scheme/philosophy with getting the ball out quickly. Rivers is the best in the league at that.

Joe D's o-line outplayed us all day and our secondary of Gilmore and McKelvin were atrocious.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm not upset at the defense. We played a great QB. They played better as the game went on. Certainly kept it winnable if the offense were better.

My concern is that they clearly eased up toward the end. I know Rivers is a surgeon out there, but we did not look at all formidable. It was nearing Wanny territory at times.

Also, to bring it up again, was Robey benched or was he subbed out for size matchups?

My initial impressions:

there was simply no pressure all game, except for a handful of plays.

that killed the Bills

The front 4 played a pretty solid game and were collapsing the pocket around Rivers pretty frequently. Props to him and his ability that he didn't take more sacks or hits.

The back 7 was atrocious. They looked very lost, very often.

This is the kind of game where the offense needs

to score some points. The D gave up 20 to a good team and 0 in the 2nd half. That ain't too bad.

They let the Chargers score a touchdown on the opening drive of the second half to make it 20-3. They did not stop them when it mattered, only when SD was playing conservative and milking the clock with the lead. The D was bad when it mattered today.

This is the kind of game where the offense needs

to score some points. The D gave up 20 to a good team and 0 in the 2nd half. That ain't too bad.

Yep, we have the weapons and the D. A little better blocking and more passing accuracy (which is easier to come by when he's not under so much pressure) and we're going to have a lot more fun on Sundays. How did they not learn to handle the stunts? Ugh!

Schwartz coached scared first half and half of third IMO and waited way too long before pulling his balls out of his bag. Think they need to start mixing in some zones bc the crossing patterns are killing them especially on third downs.

Gilmore sucks

Our D did very little until after SD used half of the 3rd quarter on their initial second half drive to take a 20-3 lead. Rivers killed us on 3rd down, especially in the first half and on that 3rd quarter drive. The simple reality is, a defense MUST get off the field on 3rd down and ours did a piss poor job of it for the first three quarters. Not a good effort by any stretch.

GO BILLS!!!