Okay, I'm Paranoid, but can this Goodell mess affect the Sale

plenzmd1

So, if the news just keeps getting worse for the NFL and Roger, might it force the vote for approval of the sale off the October 8th owners meetings? Lets suppose for just a second that Roger steps down in two weeks time, and no new commissioner has been named yet??

I know, i know, i should not worry ...but i cant help it.

Roger does not vote. my guess is the vote

will happen quickly and with out drama.

the real point and topic of this meeting

will be about Roger and if he will stay

as the commish.

I was thinking this the other day, they'll spend more time discussing Goodell, etc, and when it comes time for the owner vote, it'll be done and over in less than a minute.

I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, but has there ever been a time in the history of the NFL where the owners have not approved a potential buyer that has been unanimously approved by the Finance Committee? It ain't over till its over, but I would be shocked if this thing isn't finished by Oct. 8 regardless of the other issues the owners will be discussing. Pegula's bid, if approved, would be the highest price for an NFL franchise in NFL history and I really don't see how the owners would let those other issues (and RG's potential employment) kick the Pegula item off the agenda. The owners don't need RG to do the vote.

The sale will go through. I worry more about the potential loss ( or neutering) of a pro-buffalo commish.

That was my take as well. We all assumed RG really didn't care about WNY but I think he did. If the new commish thinks like Jerruh and Kraft he could make things tougher on the Bills.

On the other hand the Bills could actually weild a bit more influence with it's Asian-American female co-owner Kim Pegula helping the league to address sensitive issues like domestic violence.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The sale will go through. I worry more about the potential loss ( or neutering) of a pro-buffalo commish.

I don't worry about it at all.

If my understanding of things is correct, we'll have much more influence with Pegula in the Owner's seat than with Goodell as the commish

So, if the news just keeps getting worse for the NFL and Roger, might it force the vote for approval of the sale off the October 8th owners meetings? Lets suppose for just a second that Roger steps down in two weeks time, and no new commissioner has been named yet??

I know, i know, i should not worry ...but i cant help it.

The Bills and the NFL must have really traumatized you over the last 14 years just to even think about this radical scenario.

I agree the sale will go through unimpeded. The league needs all the good news it can muster right now.

Though I was thinking, wouldn't it be the ultimate kick-in-the-crotch irony as Bills fans for this to be the year our long-term ownership is determined and also the year that the League folds due to all the controversy? I know that will never happen, I was just thinking about how one of the best weeks ever for Bills fans happened to coincide with one of the worst weeks ever for the league as a whole.

I agree the sale will go through unimpeded. The league needs all the good news it can muster right now.

Though I was thinking, wouldn't it be the ultimate kick-in-the-crotch irony as Bills fans for this to be the year our long-term ownership is determined and also the year that the League folds due to all the controversy? I know that will never happen, I was just thinking about how one of the best weeks ever for Bills fans happened to coincide with one of the worst weeks ever for the league as a whole.

the league folding is not really in the cards, but I do think in 15 years the NFL will be unrecognizable, there will be MUCH less hitting, much more finesse. the head injury issue is just starting, going to get a lot worse and change a lot of rules before it is done.

And then where is the fun of it? I remember Sabres-flyers games in the 1970s were just so excellent with Dave Schultz mixing it up every night. Hockey became less fun with the decline in violence/fighting. I expect the same for the NFL

Edited by zazie

aaahhhh good old WNY' paranoia. The things people create to worry about astounds me...

haha... i was also one who worried the Clippers sale was gunna screw things up for the Bills :nana:

Maybe its cause i am in sales, and know that until a deal is signed, its not closed, no matter how many times someone says" its all been approved all the way to the CEO and Board , just needs to work it way through signatures" will be done tomorrow AM.

I have lost deals in that stage before.

It's been a PR disaster for the NFL, no doubt about that. And yeah, things could have and should have been handled better by the commish. But, if I'm one of the other 31 NFL owners, I understand that under Goodell's tenure, the Bills just sold for 1.4 BILLION. Think about that. A team in one of the smallest markets, with a 40 year old stadium, sold for a record 1.4 BILLION. The value of every other team just went up by hundreds of millions of dollars.

Goodell is going to take some heat - and rightly so. But taking the long view, the NFL revenue stream has never been healthier.

The issues facing the NFL are not just football issues they are sociatal issues. And the NFL does need to get it's head around that. But no owner is going to want to postpone a vote on the Bills ownership and risk losing out on a 1.4 billion dollar sale.

haha... i was also one who worried the Clippers sale was gunna screw things up for the Bills :nana:

Maybe its cause i am in sales, and know that until a deal is signed, its not closed, no matter how many times someone says" its all been approved all the way to the CEO and Board , just needs to work it way through signatures" will be done tomorrow AM.

I have lost deals in that stage before.

You have nothing to worry about. Pegula will certainly be unanimously approved and the owners do not want to delay the vote. This is a good thing for them. As others have indicated the approval process will take less time than this post. He was the guy that they wanted and he paid a price that they wanted. This was a huge win for the league.

No- this Bills sale is one of the few positives happening recently. It's a feel good story- small fan base rescued by local billionaire, team staying and so forth. They won't be able to approve it fast enough. The only difference is that it won't be the biggest news out of the meeting. All the Goodell talk will be.