Does the 2011 5-2 start temper your enthusiasm this year?

BuffaloBill

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard on the radio this morning that we have started 2-0 a total of 6 times since 2000 and have not once made the playoffs. So, I am not getting overly excited by this quality start to the season. Lots of football left.

That sad, more than 2/3 of the teams that start 2-0 do make the playoffs, so we are heading in the right direction.

Yes, unfortunately it is not just one year of history. It's pretty amazing a 2-0 starts means something to many teams but has not worked out for the Bills. I'll be nervous until we are definitely in!

Speaking of 2011 Who just happens to be the 2nd highest rated QB 2 weeks into the 2014 season with a astounding 118.4 rating?

Yep.. that guy.

We better crush Fitz-pick-six.. I liked the guy, but have so many awful memories. Lets put those to bed.

The main difference between 2011 and now is the way the team is winning. I recall reading a stat that during the first 2 games in 2011 the Bills came back and won. They were down by 18 points in each game (Raiders and Pats). You can expect to come back by 18 week in and week out.

These last 2 wins feel different. A tough overtime win in Chicago, and then squish the fish at home in a dominating performance. I hope we keep it up. GO BILLS!

Edited by ldandria

2011 absolutely weighs on me.

I'll enjoy each win. But I won't allow myself to think about the playoff race until the season is at least half over and we're still in contention.

I remember when we were 5-2 thinking we weren't as good as our record. But, on the other hand, if we could manage to finish last 9 games with a 5-4 record, we'd still probably be in the playoffs. 5-4 seemed doable.

No math for me this year. I'm taking it one week at a time.

Nope. The past is the past and has no relevance to this team. I believe they have playoff caliber talent on this team and my expectations are that they will win more than they lose and could very well be fighting for the division title or a wild card. I set my expectations according to what I see with the current team - not according to what has happened in the past.

Scares me.

Bears game could have gone either way after we had a nice lead.

Miami game could have been the crowd and atmosphere.

I think I will hold out for a few more weeks and quietly enjoy the wins as long as they keep coming. I won't lose hope until they are out in any case as I do every year.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

We have to improve at guard and QB and our defense has to gel, especially the back seven. Those three things and injuries are the only things I can think of holding us back.

The top three are very doable. The line hardly know eachother yet, and there is Richardson who will improve and if Pears doesn't improve there is always Urbik.

EJ had a few questionable passes plus a horrid series, the one where woods had to make an exceptional play to prevent an inteception... That series coulda cost us, but EJ is learning and gaining confidence all the time... I think he could easily get good enough to be the guy.... He is so much better than last year which shows he can improve; he has all the tools, why can't he keep getting better and better?

The back seven improvements are kinda obvious, they are very young and largely new or newer, with a new coordinator. Gilmore is coming off three injuries and is going to need time to gain confidence in his body.

If they get a chance to get and stay healthy and truly gel, we should have a much better D than last year and that is saying a lot. I think they'll keep big plays down and really increase turnovers by hard hitting (toughness) and route jumping (know-how) etc.

Nope. We're so much better and deeper now. This year feels different. I don't see any pushovers on this team. They're so physical out there, much more so than in years past it seems. They are playing confident football. Could it all come crashing down? Sure, but if it does, I'm going down with the ship because the party on deck right now makes it worth it for me at least. Go Bills!!

2008 and 2011 have to damper your spirits somewhat. But those teams had a smoke and mirrors feel to them. This team feels a little different from those two teams. Seems like this team is deeper and more solid. But overall the past two failures after fast starts make you concerned. I basically won't be a believer until I see the little x next to their name in the standings that indicates they will be in the playoffs. One week at a time so to speak.

Since 2003, we’ve seen the Bills start off hot, then fizzle out at least three times:

• 2003 – Beat the Pats 31-0 and started off 2-0, only to finish 6-10
  • 2008 – Started off the season 4-0, finished 7-9
  • 2011 – Started off the season 3-0 including a week 3 defeat of the Pats, and finished 6-10

I’m enjoying the ride so far, but I’m not getting drunk off the kool-aid just yet.

:censored:

This roster has more talent, but more importantly more depth. Not sure we make the playoffs this year but I'm more encouraged than before. Give me 3 and 0 in the division, at mid season and I think we're on the way.

I agree about depth and talent and great name/player

No. One season of raised expectations and dashed hopes by itself doesn't alter my views on this season. I've got a whole lifetime of accumulated disappointment that does the trick.

kj

This pretty much

I heard on the radio this morning that we have started 2-0 a total of 6 times since 2000 and have not once made the playoffs. So, I am not getting overly excited by this quality start to the season. Lots of football left.

That sad, more than 2/3 of the teams that start 2-0 do make the playoffs, so we are heading in the right direction.

I wonder about how to do the math on that because I can't but I do like the chances.

I still have questions about the coaching and some players but people seem to be developing on this team and the FO at least seems to be able to identify talent for a change. I couldn't say the same in 08 or 11. Chan was covering Fitz's limitations and knew he wouldn't get better and Jarhead just was able to get players to play at a level better than their talent, for a while. So far I don't see either of those issues with these coaches but we shall see how it goes.

Yes/No

My expectations are certainly kept in check. 2-0 doesn't have me expecting playoffs.

BUT

2-0 certainly makes me more excited to watch our team than 0-2 would.

This states it perfectly for me. 2-0 means nothing really for playoffs but it is more exciting than the reverse.

We have seen plenty of Bills and for that matter other teams collapses over the years. Two games doesn't mean much.