The Robert Woods article in the Buffalo News

Kelly the Dog

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/woods-mindset-is-to-be-bills-no-1-receiver-20140911?two-bills-drive

Really interesting to me. Woods basically gives credit to Marrone for how he was handled during the preseason, where he got somewhat demoted and challenged to work harder.

And Woods is not lacking in confidence. He also says he wants to be the Bills #1 WR even with Watkins here. So it's not like this is a guy who always needed to be pumped up. He was one of the top WR in the nation at a top school in college, too, as a sophomore, so it's not like he isn't used to the spotlight or pressure.

I was bad mouthing Marrone for weeks for being so stupid as to play Hogan over Woods, but ultimately that looks like a good coaching decision that worked lighting a fire under Woods, who played a huge factor in the Bears game.

The idea of Marrone not being liked by his players or losing his team or the locker room is looking more foolish every day.

The special teams looked great on Sunday, too. But that is only one game, so Danny Crossman needs to keep it up as well, but perhaps, repeat, perhaps, he needed some players like Whaley and Marrone said he did and then provided for him.

I'm not sold on Marrone as a head coach yet. Not by a long shot.

He needs to win, he needs to get this team into the playoffs, he needs to make consistent in game tough decisions that produce results, he has to consistently have the team prepared to play, he has to manage both Hackett and Schwartz effectively.

Head coaches need to treat different players differently. It's the sign of a good head coach. Mike Williams and Marcell Dareus have come out recently and said they love this guy. The Woods article was interesting. Let's hope he keeps it up.

I think Woods is the most consistent receiver on the team, and may be for the next 10 years. I love that guy. I know he isn't the same, but reminds me of Andre. Always gonna be there, always gonna get his catches, doesn't seem to get banged up, and if you slip up he will take it to the house!

Liking Marrone too, tells it like it is, not always the company line, and seems in control.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Really interesting to me. Woods basically gives credit to Marrone for how he was handled during the preseason, where he got somewhat demoted and challenged to work harder.

And Woods is not lacking in confidence. He also says he wants to be the Bills #1 WR even with Watkins here. So it's not like this is a guy who always needed to be pumped up. He was one of the top WR in the nation at a top school in college, too, as a sophomore, so it's not like he isn't used to the spotlight or pressure.

I was bad mouthing Marrone for weeks for being so stupid as to play Hogan over Woods, but ultimately that looks like a good coaching decision that worked lighting a fire under Woods, who played a huge factor in the Bears game.

The idea of Marrone not being liked by his players or losing his team or the locker room is looking more foolish every day.

The special teams looked great on Sunday, too. But that is only one game, so Danny Crossman needs to keep it up as well, but perhaps, repeat, perhaps, he needed some players like Whaley and Marrone said he did and then provided for him.

I'm not sold on Marrone as a head coach yet. Not by a long shot.

He needs to win, he needs to get this team into the playoffs, he needs to make consistent in game tough decisions that produce results, he has to consistently have the team prepared to play, he has to manage both Hackett and Schwartz effectively.

Head coaches need to treat different players differently. It's the sign of a good head coach. Mike Williams and Marcell Dareus have come out recently and said they love this guy. The Woods article was interesting. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Great points, you know I'm a huge Robert Woods fan and think the guy was a steal in the 2nd round. Not only is Woods used to the spotlight, he's used to his spotlight being usurped by a new, "better and younger", wide receiver. After Woods tore it up as a Freshman and Sophomore, Marquis Lee (a high school teammate) arrived and took over Woods top spot while he played on a bum ankle for his junior season. What that means, I have no idea, but it's nice to know he's been here before and it didn't throw him of his game or distract him in a way that it might have with your typical "diva" wide outs.

Sammy and Woods can co-exist and it's clear Woods will push them both to be even better.

I almost started a thread after reading the same article. One game is too small of a sample, but the early returns are promising. I don't recall who it was, but I read a tweet from an out-of-town sportswriter who said he watched the All-22 of Bears/Bills and came away feeling like the Bills are much better coached than he thought previously, and "as deep as any team in the AFC East."

I wonder if the story is true that he criticized EJ in TC and that was why he got in Marrone's doghouse

I would doubt that, but whatever the reason, Marrone felt he needed an attitude adjustment. He got it, and it worked. Woods now looks like he is ready to take that Year 1 to Year 2 step up he needed to make. Kudos to him for buckling down, and kudos to Marrone for motivating him.

Great points, you know I'm a huge Robert Woods fan and think the guy was a steal in the 2nd round. Not only is Woods used to the spotlight, he's used to his spotlight being usurped by a new, "better and younger", wide receiver. After Woods tore it up as a Freshman and Sophomore, Marquis Lee (a high school teammate) arrived and took over Woods top spot while he played on a bum ankle for his junior season. What that means, I have no idea, but it's nice to know he's been here before and it didn't throw him of his game or distract him in a way that it might have with your typical "diva" wide outs.

Sammy and Woods can co-exist and it's clear Woods will push them both to be even better.

Agree on all of this. This is as big a year for Woods as it is for Watkins.

If he continues to play like he did last week, then we are looking at a great trio of WR's in Buffalo.

Agree on all of this. This is as big a year for Woods as it is for Watkins.

If he continues to play like he did last week, then we are looking at a great trio of WR's in Buffalo.

Yes, Woods and Watkins might play together for a while. Assuming EJ can get them the ball they could be a very, very good pair of receivers.